NHL'94 Forums

Worst Loss Ever

Most people here know that I lost to Angryjay93 in GDL play 24-3.

Those were 5 minute periods I believe. Just imagine if they were 7 or 10 minutes. I think AJ woulda' hit 100 goals by the end of the 2nd period.

I have taken some bad losses, however one stands out in my mind.

I was up 9-1 in the third to a buddy of mine on the console about a decade ago. I lost 10-9 in OT. 5 Min Periods. I was MTL he was PIT. I tryed to defend the lead by just playing zone D.

Bad idea...Lemieux 6 goals. I really contemplated leaving the game that day, it was the worst feeling ever...

I still cant understand how u lost so badly SSIG.....i cannot wrap my mind around 24 goals in a 5 min period game.... Tough loss bro.

I have taken some bad losses, however one stands out in my mind.

I was up 9-1 in the third to a buddy of mine on the console about a decade ago. I lost 10-9 in OT. 5 Min Periods. I was MTL he was PIT. I tryed to defend the lead by just playing zone D.

Bad idea...Lemieux 6 goals. I really contemplated leaving the game that day, it was the worst feeling ever...

I still cant understand how u lost so badly SSIG.....i cannot wrap my mind around 24 goals in a 5 min period game.... Tough loss bro.

I'll make it crystal clear then :P

When you combine a world class player in AJ with a mid-table D leaguer in me, then it's obviously going to be one-sided. Not even I expected to lose by 3 touchdowns. It felt like a football game broke out. Obviously my master gameplan was not good enough.

• 2 weeks later...
and with 5 minute periods, Im 99% sure thats impossible.

You cant even score 82 on empty nets with 5min periods..

Something is rotten in Denmark. I completely second habs.

That means the computer would have to score once every 11 sec (in nhl 94 ticks mind you). The computer won't even shoot it from beyond the blue line so just the time spent in the neutral zone off faceoffs would be enough to nullify this tall tale.

And you won 56 faceoffs to 29. OK, so either you did some Photoshop manipulation or after every faceoff you shot it into an empty net. Either way, it sounds like someone has waaaaaay too much time on their hands.

Don't goalies automaticly get first star if they get a shutout? :D

I believe you are correct. There is definetely no way someone could win 82-0 in 5 minute periods anyways.

• 2 weeks later...
I rarely if ever agree with EA but i think he is right......way too much time on his hands.

i can barely believe 24 to 3.........were you even playing?????

Are you questioning my effort? Sorry Sungod, I'm not in the business of half-assing games even if I know I'm not going to win to begin with.

Damn you. 86-0.

I will have to give it another try. I only tried it once, but I am convinced that is possible to lose 100-0 in a 5 min game.

(The reason that their goalie didn't get the first star was probably because he didn't face any shots.)

There was no photoshopping involved. Pull your goalie and pass it into your own net.

Yes, apparently I do have a bit too much time on my hands :huh: But I have been surpassed and will have to reclaim my record as worst loser.

Damn you. 86-0.

I will have to give it another try. I only tried it once, but I am convinced that is possible to lose 100-0 in a 5 min game.

100 goals against is definately possible....I had 37 after the first but fell apart in the second when computer won the faceoff and skated around...id hit him to take the puck then he'd hit he me to take it back. I easily lost a good 15 goals during this span. there were other instances as well.

There was no photoshopping involved. Pull your goalie and pass it into your own net.

it's true.

Yes, apparently I do have a bit too much time on my hands :blink: But I have been surpassed and will have to reclaim my record as worst loser.

If there can be tv reality shows called the 'biggest loser'...maybe they could focus more on video games.

I am the biggest loser and that will stand until the end of time...

or until wittgenstein takes it back.

I mean seriously guys...who doesnt want to be the biggest loser?

Or you can make Dany Sabourin your goalie.

wait... who's that?

And by the way a couple days ago I realized that it's true, the goalie doesn't have to be first star even if he gets a shutout, he just doesn't have to make any saves.

And by the way a couple days ago I realized that it's true, the goalie doesn't have to be first star even if he gets a shutout, he just doesn't have to make any saves.

that sentence doesn't make any sense. please try to explain your point again.

that sentence doesn't make any sense. please try to explain your point again.

Earlier somebody wrote that if a team gets a shutout, the goalie must be the first star. I discovered this was not true because even if the goalie of a team has zero goals against it, if the goalie does not face any shots, he will not be a star of the game because he did not make any saves. Does that make sense now? :)

yep. and I think if somebody has enough points they can be ranked above a star goalie. and a goalie could be a star if he faces enough shots and saves at least 90%. something like that.

yep. and I think if somebody has enough points they can be ranked above a star goalie. and a goalie could be a star if he faces enough shots and saves at least 90%. something like that.

I thought I'd take a moment to clear up any misconceptions anybody may have about the Genesis version of NHL '94 and its goalies being stars.

To qualify as one of the three stars of the game, a goaltender must register a shutout with no less than one save. If the goaltender does NOT get a shutout, then his save percentage must be no lower than 95%. Making 18 saves on 19 shots does not qualify for a star; however, making 19 saves on 20 shots does qualify.

As for a shooter being ranked above a goalie: yes, it has happened before. If a player registers enough points when a goalie saves at least 95% of his shots (but no shutout), then the goalie will probably be the 2nd star of the game, rather than the first.

Furthermore, I had a game where I defeated the New York Islanders 7-5, while Ken Wregget was named one of the three stars of the game. Does that mean Wregget made 95 saves on 100 shots? NO. Wregget made 13 saves on 13 shots and was named one of the game's three stars (Barrasso had a terrible game, so I pulled him).

While a 7-5 victory isn't a shutout, Wregget still saved no less than 95% of his shots. I believe the save minimum might be 1 for these high-scoring games as well, but I am not certain.

I hope this post answered a lot of questions any of you may have.

I hope this post answered a lot of questions any of you may have.

Indeed it has. but heres another question which i have yet to get an answer to....

Lets say, (in both game, AND, real life NHL!!)

A goalie plays a perfect game. he plays the 60 minutes no goals, say 30 shots, whatever.

BUTTTTT, the coach was doing alot of drugs and pulled him for the extra attacker, and the opposing team scored.

ok ok ok, more realistic scenario, goalie skates to the bench on a delayed penalty, but his noob team accidently scores on the open net.

Is it still declared a shut out? What if it was the only goal scored and the opposing team won, 1-0. what would happen?! a goal scored but the goalie didnt let it in, it didnt happen to fault of his own.....i say he still gets the shutout....amiright?

Indeed it has. but heres another question which i have yet to get an answer to....

Lets say, (in both game, AND, real life NHL!!)

A goalie plays a perfect game. he plays the 60 minutes no goals, say 30 shots, whatever.

BUTTTTT, the coach was doing alot of drugs and pulled him for the extra attacker, and the opposing team scored.

ok ok ok, more realistic scenario, goalie skates to the bench on a delayed penalty, but his noob team accidently scores on the open net.

Is it still declared a shut out? What if it was the only goal scored and the opposing team won, 1-0. what would happen?! a goal scored but the goalie didnt let it in, it didnt happen to fault of his own.....i say he still gets the shutout....amiright?

No, he does not get the shutout. For it to be statistically declared as a shutout, the TEAM itself would have to allow zero goals.