NHL'94 Forums

Aj's Bid For Commish Of Gdl

angryjay93

Now that we have a little lull in the playoffs, i think its time we start figuring things out for next season because its just around the corner. One thing is appointing a new commish and im willing to step in for donch and do my part to make the league run smoothly.

I think a 1 man show is the most efficient way to do things, in GDL 2 we tried to do a committee and it quickly fell through once we discovered it was a cumbersome and slow process. Things seem to run better with one dude at the helm and the rest of the league being allowed to speak their voice when neccessary. While I'm not the most qualified person in terms of creating roms and such. i have although, been around a while and in a ton of different leagues, im around a lot, most people are cool with me, and i think i have some good ideas for the upcoming league.

Some things id really like to see happen for next season include:

Downsizing the league to 20: Itll be closer to summer time and so there is typically less demand. We are also losing 4 managers already from what i hear (bhf,ea,skool, and donch). So unless i see a ton of people sign up, id like to go back down to 20 so i have a waiting list of atleast a couple people incase people drop out midseason.

Games released in pairs: Ive seen this idea thrown around, and i think it will be even more neccessary to have it with summer league and people being around less.

A 2 week downtime for the league: Once the finals are over, i want the league to take 2 weeks off before we do sign ups and prepare for the draft. Hopefully this allows a little time for people to wind down a tiny bit and just see if they can truly fit another season into their lives. Also it allows for people to explore a little bit more for my big proposed discussion idea that i will present shortly.

A penalty for carse: Whether or not carse had a legitimate gripe or not, he went about voicing it in the wrong manner and essentially disrespected the entire league with his actions. These actions cant be tolerated and we need to draw the line somewhere. So i propose 2 ideas if we do punish him, removal of draft picks or a one season ban. Id likely allow a vote for such a thing.

And now for my huge proposed rule change that i want people to discuss over the next month or so.

I was thinking today how we could maybe add a new layer to the league and its gameplay and an idea came to mind. Line changes.

Now i know, i know, im probably getting a lot of hisses from the peanut gallery here, but i think this can be a viable idea in that adds a whole other layer of depth to the game and allows teams to strategize more. Ive been in a line change league before and typically, only the top 2 lines are used along with pp and pk lines. On the rare occasion a checking line is needed, so we would need a 20 round draft. a team can draft 10-11 forwards, 7-8 dmen and 2 goalies. But for the most part only 10-12 players would be used, the other 6-8 would be for depth and the rare checking line neccessity. And with a downsized league, this idea becomes a bit more plausible and it allows for more flexibility in lineups. To me it just seems like more fun to have the ability to use more players, use more strategies and help mitigate the utter domination of the upper tier players on the game. Im really curious to hear what you guys think about it, by no means am i going to force it at all, just thought it might be cool to get people talking about stuff and see what type of creativity we can get out of everyone.

Even though the forums have been pretty dead, i hope to hear some feedback on all this.

Downsizing -- are we going to upsize again in the winter?

Carse - let him play, he already got the short end of the stick in a confusing situation

Line changes - I don't think the GDL can go line changes on. It's already got 3 seasons played. I'd say make a separate league for that. The biggest difference when playing with line changes is that you can't spam the speed boost. dmitry's first league was pretty fun (though I think i had one of the better teams, so i'm biased). i don't think line changes will affect advantage of having a guy like Roenick on your team. I like line changes, but there are so many people who hate them...

Firstly id like to commend AJ for his dedication to improving the GDL and taking the time to make some suggestions and allow for a democratic system of decision making. Id like to respond point by point and give my 2 cents about the new suggestions for the league.

I dont agree with a committee, however id like to see 2 main co-moderators to handle the immense work load associated with running the league. One who oversees the general procedings of the draft, overall league play and handle problems and disputes within the league. The other co-moderator should have extensive knowledge of the technical side of things, including experience in ROMS, uploading, web based editing and assisting in any general technical issue that arises. In addition this co-moderator should also have the jurisdiction to make decisions in regards to disputes and problems, in hopes to provide a fair decision be made between both co-moderators, to help any disputes be solved with a "second opinion" methodology. Two heads are better than one, in my opinion.

As for shrinking the size of the league, i can understand how it would improve the flow of things. However i think there is a lot of interest in the GDL's up coming season. I agree with AJ if a ton of ppl sign up then lets leave things the way they are. I have a feeling there will be alot of new guys signing up.

Games in pairs I can agree with and a 2 week downtime is also a good idea.

I really dont have alot to say about the whole carse situation. I didnt read his gripe. I feel that he was hard done by what happened, im not saying i blame DD, i understand something had to be done, but some more sound planning for that situation should have been implemented prior to the beginning of the season, so that everyone understood where they stood before it was too late. I dont think he should be penalized, just give the man a chance to prove that he is in it for real. The quality of play will suffer if Carse is left out. Just my opinion.

As for line changes i have to agree with smoz, dedicate another league for line changes perhaps. Although im not totally opposed to the proposition.

I would also like to suggest that P2P be made mandatory to help with all the lag issues we all have had. Perhaps an official procedure should be implemented as well to address when lag is noticed.

Thanks for the opportunity to voice my opinions, i know im fairly new around the site, its nice to know that everyone has a voice, and is entitled to share thoughts and suggestions.

Good luck with the new GDL season.

I'll respond in more detail later, but I do want to say that I support AJ as a commissioner of the league. I know he would do a great job with it and I think he'd be dedicated, fair, and open to discussion -- all very important things to ensure the continued success of the league.

I'm totally down with AJ running the league. I'd like to offer my services towards decision makings/rulings. I've run fantasy football leagues for 10+ years so I have some decent experience dealing with conflict. I also stayed at a Holiday Inn last night so that just adds to my qualifications :P

I'm open for a line change league but don't think the GDL is the place for it. I think I suggested doing a line change league on Hab's post about a new league. It definitely adds a new element to the game. Haven't played with them on in ages but have fond memories of those games.

As for Carse, ya he definitely vented way too much and did offend the vast majority of the league. I wasn't 100% behind the final decision that was made but I understand these types of decisions can be difficult. I agree with Sebe that up front rules should be more clearly defined next season. When in doubt tho, play-in mini series are NEVER a bad idea when situations like this arise. Bottom line is I'd prefer to see Carse in season 4 with no penalties (and with full P2P capabilities).

I think 20 is a solid number but that can be revisited based on the waiting list. It looks like there's a bunch of very good players fairly new to the community waiting to get in. MindDefect would be a very solid addition. For those guys wanting to get in and on the waiting list, best thing to do is be online OFTEN and hit up as many vets for practice games. This goes a long ways in getting into the GDL. I luckily got in based on doing this for a few months.

Anyone know if KG is serious about sitting this season out too? Thats quite a laundry list of great players sitting out the next season. Damn, can't imagine a league without any of those 5 guys. It's like the having an NHL season without the majority of the Original Six teams. Just aint right.

SKool, WTF you gots going on that ur not gonna play? BHF, you need a new job or ace the other half, whichever is interfering with ur gaming time :). EA bro, just take a few weeks off completely from this site/game, you'll be fine. Donche, we need you bro. I think not having Commish resp will be much easier and enjoyable. KG, man up and play another season. We need the rivalry between you and Carse to continue.

Peace it.

100% support for AJ being the commish. I was going to try and get back into this, but after trying to play in 2 different leagues already once, I've realized it's not a good idea. I'll stick with my other league, but here's wishing for another great season.

I support Angryjay93 for new GDL commish. While I am retired from playing, I would like to request some sort of role in next season's running of the GDL. I currently run a successful sim basketball league, where players are the GM...so I think I know a thing or two about management.

Maybe as some sort of rookie orientation role, to get them prepared for what will be massive beatings in their first full year of GDL play? Even with the keyboard, I feel I could adequately prepare players at my skill level for what they're going to be up against.

I'll reply more on this later as well.

I do want to say that I support AJ for commish as well. Despite some minor differences that we've expressed to each other in the past, AJ is one of the most committed guys around and I think with some back end assistance from Dadonche and Dmitri, he'll be a great guy to fill this position.

I also want to second SEBE that p2p should be a prerequisite for next season. Since we don't have the nhl server up and running yet and daroms in chi or dal not up, this p2p play needs to be made a requirement.

We are also losing 4 managers already from what i hear (bhf,ea,skool, and donch).

I'm still around. Count me in for next season. The catch is I'll be playin' VERY limited (if any at all) exhibition or practice games once the season get's rollin'.

AJ for commish? Sounds like a good fit to me...

Carse for season 4? (Carse: You need to learn to take this $hit for what it is. A game. Either be cool, or shut up.) Despite the CC garbage the guys got skills. I say keep em.

Downsizing the league to 20:

Good idea. Less teams equal higher skill level and a more competitive online league.

Games released in pairs:

I still believe the best way is to release all the games at once. This would solve DNP's.

A 2 week downtime for the league:

Yes.

A penalty for carse:

allow him to play if he writes and posts a formal apology to the league and its' coaches for his douchebag-like behavior.

as for the other things...

im against line-changes. it will slow down the action.

this may be a crazy idea, but i think we should play without penalties. The penalties in this game are random as hell and play no tactical role. 5 on 5, solid hockey.

and p2p is a great idea, but it should be optional not mandatory.

Downsizing the league to 20:

absolutely. Lower rounds in the draft are much more exciting, and teams have more depth.

Games released in pairs:

A step forward in reducing the amount of DNPs

A 2 week downtime for the league:

sounds great

A penalty for carse:

how about an automatic ejection for him and anyone else with a history of flakey-ness..... with only 20 spots, there will be a waiting list of people hankering for spots (hopefully).

but let him play

and.... I've had experiences where p2p has been worse than client... so make it optional but recommended

I do recommend however that conferences are split geographically, so that west coasters play the most games against west coasters

line changes - i wouldn't be interested in playing in a league with this

A penalty for carse:

allow him to play if he writes and posts a formal apology to the league and its' coaches for his douchebag-like behavior.

Hahaha... my doushebag behavior? I think pill should be removed from Season 4 for his disrespect for the game down the stretch.

In refusing to play his games once he was elimanated from the playoffs, he compromised the rest of the league because he was being a sore loser. He lead the league in DNPs, and our whole refusing play thing was well known. I think selfish players like that should be removed for peolpe who want to play games reguardless of their importance.

I dont understand what you mean by this matt?

I believe you have a much more interesting draft if you have only 20 coaches participate.

If you have more than 20 coaches interested, open up a 2nd GDL league to take on those interested, much like the Gens has A,B,C,D.

Hahaha... my doushebag behavior? I think pill should be removed from Season 4 for his disrespect for the game down the stretch.

In refusing to play his games once he was elimanated from the playoffs, he compromised the rest of the league because he was being a sore loser. He lead the league in DNPs, and our whole refusing play thing was well known. I think selfish players like that should be removed for peolpe who want to play games reguardless of their importance.

This ends here, Carse. I never refused to play those games with you. Check your memory, because mine is superior. As for you missing the playoffs. You got screwed, bro. DD should have just let the deadline pass and let everyone get their games in. DNP's? I didn't lead the league, VoC did. Okay, remove me, you, and 75% of the coaches because only 7 coaches got all 56 games in. You say I disrepected the league? Are you kidding me? All you do is talk s**t, Carse. It's retarded. You can't just play the game and be chill. You have good skill at 94, but damn dude. Personality-wise you suck.

I dunno if its fun trying to convince youself of something that clearly didnt happen but you know that you refused to play me. I even sent the freakin conversation to AJ so I dont know who you are kidding other than yourself.

To address some of the topics ive seen here...

My line change idea, barring a huge outcry from people who havent responded yet will not be happening on any level, we will stay with the status quo as far as game rules are concerned.

Most people seem content with letting carse off the hook for this one and just keeping a closer eye on him, so again, barring another massive outcry otherwise, carse will go on with no punishment.

If we have 20+ people resign, we will be looking at 24 teams again in the league, if we fall below that 20 mark, i will then look at who else wants in the league, evaluate their credentials and depending on what i see, i will make a decision on whether or not to go with 20 or 24 teams.

After the final, a 2 week hiatus will occur, then once that 2 weeks is over i will open up sign ups only to returning players, once that is settles within 2-3 days, i will then open up signups for remaining spots to the general public, the two people currently on the waiting list will retain their spots at the top as long as they sign on during this period with anyone else being tacked on behind them.

The carse and pill situation, its over, no one will be penalized, let it go. If i keep seeing anyone speak of it anymore and then get into an argument of any sort, then you will be subject to penalties.

Lastly, once the finals is over, it seems people dont object to me stepping in for donch, at that point i will step in and evaluate where the league is and where it needs to go in terms of administration during the hiatus, at that point, i will ask for help from other people in various spots if it seems beneficial to do so.

Well the finals should be done by the end of the month, kgman is coming back on the 25th, so if we are done by the 29th then the two week hiatus will take place.

So at that point were looking at march 14th, signups for returning managers will take 3-4 days at most, so march 18th.

Then signups for the general public will occur, another 3-4 days, so march 21st.

At that point we will have to determine what managers will get what teams, hopefully another 3-4 days spent there, so march 25th at this point.

At this point we are ready to start looking at the draft, setting up the order and the actual draft sheet in excel should only take about a day or two.

So at this point, im targeting an end of march start date for the draft.

thats too long :)

AJ, is there anyway we can push up those dates a little for a 3/15 start date? When it's all said and done, the two week hiatus will be more like 6-8 weeks for most of use who didn't advance beyond the 2nd round.

If not, I'm cool with an end of March date. Just starting to get the 'draft itch'.

Thanks for taking the reins chief.

Peace