NHL'94 Forums

Kiekko Internet Hockey

Anyone here ever play or even heard of Kiekko? It's a Finnish internet hockey game but they recently added a server in Chicago. You basically use the mouse to skate your player around and pass and shoot. It's multiplayer over the internet and there's usually at least one or two public games going on at any time (you just jump in and out at your pleasure.)

Kiekko

Just click the "English" link along the top to get everything in English.

Yeah I've stumbled across it a couple of times, I don't recall if I ever tried it, I think I did once.. Doesn't really appeal to me. I've been searching for freeware:ish hockey game now and then on the web but can't really seem to find anything.. It's just a bunch of "air hockey" and soccer like penalty shots. There's nothing in between the rather poor games and the commercial ones. Most other game genres has plenty of great, cool and fun freeware games, but with hockey it's slim pickings.

I mean it shouldn't be THAT hard to create a game like Blades of Steel or something like that nowadays.. Or is there something super advanced about hockey? But then again, I guess there aren't too many soccer games either that's created by regular people.

There was a Swedish site called hockeychallenge.se that actually had an online 3D hockey game, with league play, tournaments and different divisions. That last part was really cool. If you played against people with higher rank than you and won, you got more points and such. I think there were 3-4 divisions: Rookie, Pro, Super/special and something in between.. You had to pay about $3 each month to play though. But it had fairly decent graphics and physics, considering it was a shockwave game. Oh yeah, now that I think about it, I think both your team and your players developed and got better the more you played. It was pretty advanced. But it died and just went up in air.

Checked this out last year sometime, it's pretty cool. However the novelty dissipates rather quickly when you realize the game is played with a mouse - that in combination with the horizontal perspective makes the gameplay awkward for me.