NHL'94 Forums

Official GDL 4 Sign ups

angryjay93

If you already signed up in hokkee's post, dont worry, you are already down: the following people need to confirm by Tuesday 26th 11:59P M EST and post the team theyed liked to be. I will be sending out PM's to those who need to sign up later on today.

The List:

EA (most likely not returning)

dadonch (confirmed not returning)

kgman

I have talked with ed, bhf, and skool in one form or another and have confirmed there return to the league.

Returning managers already signed up:

AJ (Isles if i win, TB if i lose)

habs (montreal)

sebe (Atlanta Thrashers)

Kingscuprun (Los Angeles)

Ed (san jose i assume)

sdogg (Hartford)

icestorm (edmonton)

jamonica (calgary)

gr8199 (washington)

skool( NJ old skool)

carse (st.louis)

dmac (vancouver)

smozoma (dallas) "subject to change"

take your pill (colorado)

hokkee (Nashville)

bhf (chicago)

vocally caged (NYR)

matthurray (pittsburgh)

scribe (Min)

xdeathsbloodx ( Philly)

jrodimus (BUF)

It appears only jrodimus and kgman are still in question, both are away on vacations currently and have been unable to read and respond to the post. I will allow both of them to retain their teams and i will proceed assuming they would want to resign for GDL4.

So we will officially have 2 open spots for next season which will keep us at 24 teams.

way ahead of you jamonica, already got a list made for the 22 people who are returning.

Eastern: 12

Central: 3

Mountain: 1

Pacific: 6

sungod is another east coast guy, so if he gets in thats 13, so we can have as many as 14 people on the eastern time, thus making divisions based off location inconceivable in my mind because 2 east coast guys would have to play with 10 guys from 3 different zones. and those 10 guys playing people who are still a ways away doesnt make much difference for them since they still deal with distance and a difference in time.

If things were more even, we could do divisions based on location, but with what we have right now, it just doesnt make sense.

way ahead of you jamonica, already got a list made for the 22 people who are returning.

Eastern: 12

Central: 3

Mountain: 1

Pacific: 6

sungod is another east coast guy, so if he gets in thats 13, so we can have as many as 14 people on the eastern time, thus making divisions based off location inconceivable in my mind because 2 east coast guys would have to play with 10 guys from 3 different zones. and those 10 guys playing people who are still a ways away doesnt make much difference for them since they still deal with distance and a difference in time.

If things were more even, we could do divisions based on location, but with what we have right now, it just doesnt make sense.

though you are correct in saying it would be inconceivable to have 2 east coasters playing in a west coast division (unless 2 easterners typically stay up late and have no lag issues), I don't feel that means we should ignore the problem for this season. The lag and time-delay are rather large issues that probably result in some unenjoyable choppy play and probably some DNPs

This is probably a radical idea, but what about 3 divisons of 8 players? You can then base playoff seedings off of division winners and then highest point totals... and there is no need for conferences. It would be similar to how the AFC or NFC operate by themselves in the NFL.

I'm sure other people have better ideas at the moment; I'm a little mentally exhausted, but I just don't think this issue should be kicked to the curb

though you are correct in saying it would be inconceivable to have 2 east coasters playing in a west coast division (unless 2 easterners typically stay up late and have no lag issues), I don't feel that means we should ignore the problem for this season. The lag and time-delay are rather large issues that probably result in some unenjoyable choppy play and probably some DNPs

This is probably a radical idea, but what about 3 divisons of 8 players? You can then base playoff seedings off of division winners and then highest point totals... and there is no need for conferences. It would be similar to how the AFC or NFC operate by themselves in the NFL.

I'm sure other people have better ideas at the moment; I'm a little mentally exhausted, but I just don't think this issue should be kicked to the curb

In looking at the DNP's from this last season, we had 20 in total. I grouped these dnp's into 3 categories.

east vs. east (central and eastern zone)

west vs. west (western and mountain zone)

east vs. west (central and eastern vs. western and mountain zone)

there were 11 east vs. east games with DNP's and 9 east vs. west.

9 of those 20 total games involved at least one replacement coach. 5 of which were east vs. west games.

last season east managers outnumbered west 16-8 (or 2:1)

the ratio of east vs. east to west vs. east dnps was roughly (1:1)

What i take from all these statistics is whether or not we have divisions based off location, we are still going to have dnp's because other stuff happens through out the course of the season. i think releasing games in pairs will make things easier on coaches and no coaches will have to adjust to playing other people as much as 3 time zones away if we were to keep our conference format.

Also if we did do it by location, 3 coaches from the central zone will be playing a majority of their games against people 2000 miles away as opposed to having a nice mix of cozy east coast matchups. With divisions based off location, youre asking 12 people to play the majority of their games at least 1-2 zones away and 1-2000 miles apart while the other half the league only deals with 1 zone and only hundreds of miles separating most people.

To address the 3 divisions...it just rings bush league to me and it doesnt replicate the nfl because they have 2 conferences, their own playoff tables, and their own playoffs, what your suggesting goes more along the lines of soccer and thats something i really want to avoid.

Where are Scribe99, takeyourpill666, skoolyardpuck, edisaurusrex and kgman located?

scribe = Minnesota

pill = Oregon

skool= Georgia/ ny

ed= i just asked him a couple days ago...its either Minnesota or Colorado, cant remember

kgman= Ontario

To address the 3 divisions...it just rings bush league to me and it doesnt replicate the nfl because they have 2 conferences, their own playoff tables, and their own playoffs, what your suggesting goes more along the lines of soccer and thats something i really want to avoid.

Well then consider it like the NFL (or like the NHL, which is what you want), and have 2 conferences with 3 divisions each.

Then each conference can have a East division, a Central division (composed of mostly east teams), and a West division (of west managers and central). then when scheduling, managers play each other in their own division more frequently. This at least reduces the percentage of east vs. west games slightly, instead of altogether ignoring the issue.

When it comes to the issue at hand, it's scheduling games vs. coaches who get on when I'm going to bed, and it's crappy gameplay dealing with lag. My 1 DNP was against takeyourpill who I was never able to match schedules with. Over an entire season, all games will probably be played (except those released right at the end....), but it's still a hassle to schedule. Even if you do fix the release of games issue... you're still dealing with lower quality gameplay.

I think that aligning the conferences and divisions based on the relative strength of coaches is arguably more important than location. We should do everything we can to even out the talent pool among divisions and conferences.

Well then consider it like the NFL (or like the NHL, which is what you want), and have 2 conferences with 3 divisions each.

Then each conference can have a East division, a Central division (composed of mostly east teams), and a West division (of west managers and central). then when scheduling, managers play each other in their own division more frequently. This at least reduces the percentage of east vs. west games slightly, instead of altogether ignoring the issue.

When it comes to the issue at hand, it's scheduling games vs. coaches who get on when I'm going to bed, and it's crappy gameplay dealing with lag. My 1 DNP was against takeyourpill who I was never able to match schedules with. Over an entire season, all games will probably be played (except those released right at the end....), but it's still a hassle to schedule. Even if you do fix the release of games issue... you're still dealing with lower quality gameplay.

if we have 6 divisions, then that will put the scheduling out of whack, and then people would complain about having to play a tougher schedule than other people in their own conference and division. And having people deal with different schedules is not only harder to make and unfair, it isnt worth it to reduce the percentage of east vs. west games slightly.

If the circumstances were right, id say we should do divisions and conferences based off location. But the circumstances arent right and we shouldnt cater to the 13-14 east coast managers so they can have nice connection and only deal with 1 time zone while the rest of the league messes with the way it is now.

I think that aligning the conferences and divisions based on the relative strength of coaches is arguably more important than location. We should do everything we can to even out the talent pool among divisions and conferences.

Thinking it through:

3 divisions of 4 teams in 2 conferences = 24 teams

Play 4x games vs 3 division opponents = 12 games

play 3x games vs. 8 intra-conf opponents = 24 games

play 2x games vs. parallel inter-conference opponent (ex: AFC west vs. NFC west) = 8 games

play 1x games vs. 8 other inter-conference opponents = 8 games

Total: 52 games. 16 are East - West. This is reduced from a general estimate of 20-25 games East - West. (5 West opponents in each conference, 2 x 5 = 10 from opposing conference, 3 (on average) x 5 = 15 games from same conference)

That is almost 10 fewer games of poor latency and scheduling issues.

Fill in 4 random games, and you have 56.

Scribe, I think parity is a pretty strong issue to divide divisions as well, but

a) if we split up be geographic location, how does talent spread out?

b ) how do we measure talent? by reputation, by GDL 3 standings, by a combination?

I realize I'm hashing these issues out pretty hardcore, but we might as well make the GDL as airtight as possible if we can. It seems to be the best GENs league running, so let's continually improve it.

Looking at things, we could have as few as 6 guys on the west coast this season, so 2 guys in the central zone would have to adjust 2 hours and atleast 2000 miles just to play division games and other games against the other conference for 20 games off assured long distance 2 zone difference games while east coast people benefit largely from this.

The fact is we had 9 dnps between west vs. east teams, if the number was more substantial id be more worried. you mentioned you still got 1 game in with pill, that tells me if we can get the games released in sets, perhaps you could have played both games at once. And all im asking is you meet up with a guy once in 2 months. If that goal cant be met then theres no point to kill ourselves making a schedule and coming up with some elaborate set up to try and remedy that problem.

Always remember "KISS". Keep it simple stupid. Im going to propose a simple solution of releasing games in sets, hopefully that eases things on coaches to help get their games in against people that are hard to get a hold of. If that idea fails, then we will have to re-evaluate, but im not about to turn the whole format of the league on a 180 to fix 9 games that never got played due to various reasons that didnt always have to deal with schedules or lag.

Always remember "KISS". Keep it simple stupid. Im going to propose a simple solution of releasing games in sets, hopefully that eases things on coaches to help get their games in against people that are hard to get a hold of. If that idea fails, then we will have to re-evaluate, but im not about to turn the whole format of the league on a 180 to fix 9 games that never got played due to various reasons that didnt always have to deal with schedules or lag.

word.

ps- GO SABRES!!

Looking at things, we could have as few as 6 guys on the west coast this season, so 2 guys in the central zone would have to adjust 2 hours and atleast 2000 miles just to play division games and other games against the other conference for 20 games off assured long distance 2 zone difference games while east coast people benefit largely from this.

The fact is we had 9 dnps between west vs. east teams, if the number was more substantial id be more worried. you mentioned you still got 1 game in with pill, that tells me if we can get the games released in sets, perhaps you could have played both games at once. And all im asking is you meet up with a guy once in 2 months. If that goal cant be met then theres no point to kill ourselves making a schedule and coming up with some elaborate set up to try and remedy that problem.

Fine reasoning: there aren't any glaring problems with the current set up in my opinion. GDL 1,2,3 were all very well organized and ran in my opinion.

I just feel that if you become content with a good product, it will never become a great one. I hope that this issue can be monitored more closely this season, and potentially become a platform for future change. To call it a "180" degree change and an elaborate setup is quite drastic, and seems closed minded; you are merely organizing the divisions in a different manner. This is not difficult nor is it going to rock the world. We haven't had 2 consecutive seasons of consistent divisions yet. Coaches are still playing the same game against each other. The scheduling itself also should be relatively easy, as I showed roughly in an earlier post.

It doesn't bother me that you are content with the current setup because it does work pretty well (mainly because of the dedication of GDL coaches), but I just want to make sure you keep yourself open to new ideas that will potentially improve an already well-ran league. Releasing games in sets sounds like a good start. I doubt that this idea will 'fail' by any means... I don't see a function of it creating more DNPs.

and if we have as few as 6 guys on the west coast... then that means I have less games against west coasters, and less troubles with scheduling and lag overall. If that number rises, I hope you are open to keeping those problems to a minimum.

Fine reasoning: there aren't any glaring problems with the current set up in my opinion. GDL 1,2,3 were all very well organized and ran in my opinion.

I just feel that if you become content with a good product, it will never become a great one. I hope that this issue can be monitored more closely this season, and potentially become a platform for future change. To call it a "180" degree change and an elaborate setup is quite drastic, and seems closed minded; you are merely organizing the divisions in a different manner. This is not difficult nor is it going to rock the world. We haven't had 2 consecutive seasons of consistent divisions yet. Coaches are still playing the same game against each other. The scheduling itself also should be relatively easy, as I showed roughly in an earlier post.

It doesn't bother me that you are content with the current setup because it does work pretty well (mainly because of the dedication of GDL coaches), but I just want to make sure you keep yourself open to new ideas that will potentially improve an already well-ran league. Releasing games in sets sounds like a good start. I doubt that this idea will 'fail' by any means... I don't see a function of it creating more DNPs.

and if we have as few as 6 guys on the west coast... then that means I have less games against west coasters, and less troubles with scheduling and lag overall. If that number rises, I hope you are open to keeping those problems to a minimum.

Nothing wrong with trying to improve the league, without suggestions like these being able to float around, then the league will never achieve greatness, which is your goal and mine as well. the idea of having divisions and conferences based off locations will go up on the shelf and will be dusted off at a time when its more appropriate, this season we will only have 6 people west of the central zone, so the timing just isnt right.

The schedule would be far harder to make due to having to plan 4 extra games that follow no form and then deciding who gets home ice in the odd numbered set games and making sure everything is coordinated perfectly. With the current system we have, its really easy to devise a schedule. And if i can release games in even sets, than it only makes things even easier.

And if west coast numbers do rise in GDL 5 to say something like a 14-10 number, then your idea would certainly have to be looked at a lot harder.