NHL'94 Forums

Deadline deals...what are your thoughts?

halifax

The biggest shocker for me was the habs trading away Huet...It'll be interesting to see if Price can rise to the challenge.

This has been a pretty bad trade deadline for me. Matt Cooke was my favourite player on the Canucks and he just happened to be traded away by STUPID DAVE NONIS and get some bonehead Pettinger in return! :D Also, Brian Campbell (my second favourite player on the Sabres) got traded away from the Sabres to the Sharks for Bernier and a 1st round pick which sucks for the Sabres.

I'm actually quite surprised that Hossa was traded to the Pens, the Pens sure gave a lot in return though. Crosby, Malkin, Hossa, Whitney, that should still make the Penguins that much better.

The Huet deal was pretty crazy. 2nd round pick for a starting goalie? Crazy. Doesn't seem to help their playoffs.

4 extra draft picks for the leafs.. watch them trade the players away, though.

Ducks picked up MA Bergeron.. surely they're going to win the cup now?

Fedorov + Ovechkin should be interesting...

Dallas/TB deal should be win-win

I almost broke the desk I was sitting at in the library jumping out of my chair when the Hossa rumors were confirmed. The Penguins didn't really give up much...Christensen needs to be a first or second line center to have a chance to be anything and he never would've here with Sid and Malkin. Armstrong is horrifyingly inconsistent. Esposito has bust written all over him. The pick might end up hurting, but it will be pretty low.

smoz, the leafs didn't really give up much in terms of players.

Belak, while being one of my favorite hockey players just because the guy is hilarious and such a fan favorite, isn't going to hurt them at all.

Kilger...he was a good player. Kind of shitty to see him go, but the rebuilding process needs to start.

Hal Gill is worth giving up for some draft picks. Again, the leafs need to rebuild.

smoz, the leafs didn't really give up much in terms of players.

Belak, while being one of my favorite hockey players just because the guy is hilarious and such a fan favorite, isn't going to hurt them at all.

Kilger...he was a good player. Kind of shitty to see him go, but the rebuilding process needs to start.

Hal Gill is worth giving up for some draft picks. Again, the leafs need to rebuild.

Yeah, what I meant was they would draft good players with those picks, then trade them away.

I saw a short interview with Belak where he "blamed" Mats Sundin for his being traded; since they couldn't move Mats, he was the next best thing, something like that. pretty funny.

CamKneely said:
The Penguins didn't really give up much...Christensen needs to be a first or second line center to have a chance to be anything and he never would've here with Sid and Malkin. Armstrong is horrifyingly inconsistent. Esposito has bust written all over him. The pick might end up hurting, but it will be pretty low.

Deleted

Edited by Flames4LifeFLA

All my Devils did was got Bryce Salvador for a guy who stinks (Cam Janssen). Hopefully Salvador can make some plays in the back down the stretch to keep the Devils in position for the #1 seed in the East.

All my Devils did was got Bryce Salvador for a guy who stinks (Cam Janssen). Hopefully Salvador can make some plays in the back down the stretch to keep the Devils in position for the #1 seed in the East.

Yeah, another year of non-moves by the Devs.

Gee, i wonder if they'll lose in the 1st or 2nd round in the playoffs

due to lack of scoring ability? :huh:

Yeah, another year of non-moves by the Devs.

Gee, i wonder if they'll lose in the 1st or 2nd round in the playoffs

due to lack of scoring ability? :huh:

Nah man, they'll lose because they NEVER give Marty a break. Dude is getting up there, and can't play 70+ games anymore. Evidenced the last few years in the playoffs. BURNOUT!

There is NO excuse for playing a goalie more then 60 games a season. That is, unless your #2 guy is Jaroslav Halak :)

CANUCKS ARE GOING TO WIN THE CUP WITH SEDIN TWINS AND NASLUND!!!!.........................................NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....I cant believe the nucks wouldnt get a proven scorer to help out the 2nd best goalie in the world!! I bet luongo is fricken choked.

Nah man, they'll lose because they NEVER give Marty a break. Dude is getting up there, and can't play 70+ games anymore. Evidenced the last few years in the playoffs. BURNOUT!

There is NO excuse for playing a goalie more then 60 games a season. That is, unless your #2 guy is Jaroslav Halak :huh:

Sad, but true :)

Brodeur's getting old, they have no offense...just a tight defense that can't help them where it counts: In the goal column. Until the Devils commit to being more aggressive on offense and go after offensive-minded players, they cannot and will not win another Stanley Cup. Doesn't help that our backup is Scott Clemmensen, a total waste of a roster spot. We shoulda' hung onto Ari Ahonen. I projected him to be better than Clemmensen...guess that shows you what kind a scout I am :P

That said, I miss Claude Lemieux :(

Sad, but true :huh:

Brodeur's getting old, they have no offense...just a tight defense that can't help them where it counts: In the goal column. Until the Devils commit to being more aggressive on offense and go after offensive-minded players, they cannot and will not win another Stanley Cup. Doesn't help that our backup is Scott Clemmensen, a total waste of a roster spot. We shoulda' hung onto Ari Ahonen. I projected him to be better than Clemmensen...guess that shows you what kind a scout I am :(

That said, I miss Claude Lemieux :)

It's Kevin Weekes

the Habs GM noobed it like i never seen before.

huet for a 2nd round pick? ok sure thats DECENT and can prove good next season. but HELLO! is he still trying to build a team when they are fighting for the number 1 spot in the east? what crack is he smoking?!

and i still think huet was worth more then a draft pick. watch the caps win the cup with huet, federov, and ovechkin.

Pens line up looking really strong now....

and Dallas getting richards whatever his name is. good move

the Habs GM noobed it like i never seen before.

huet for a 2nd round pick? ok sure thats DECENT and can prove good next season. but HELLO! is he still trying to build a team when they are fighting for the number 1 spot in the east? what crack is he smoking?!

and i still think huet was worth more then a draft pick. watch the caps win the cup with huet, federov, and ovechkin.

Pens line up looking really strong now....

and Dallas getting richards whatever his name is. good move

noobed it? clearly you dont know what your talking about. Gainey has taken a risk, firmly placing Price as the #1. Takes balls to do that. Huet was going to be a UFA and we werent going to be resigning him, we also bring up Halak who is also a very good goalie, and bring up Grabovski who has 18 pts in 7 gms in AHL. It's a clear message to the team, and the trashers wanted some of our best young talent so we made the right move without disrupting the great chemistry.

Take a look at the front page of the Toronto Star Sports section day after the deadline.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/307354

What crack is he smokin, proly the crack of 4 selke's 5 stanley cups + 1 cup as GM of 99' Stars. Good crack.

noobed it? clearly you dont know what your talking about. Gainey has taken a risk, firmly placing Price as the #1. Takes balls to do that. Huet was going to be a UFA and we werent going to be resigning him, we also bring up Halak who is also a very good goalie, and bring up Grabovski who has 18 pts in 7 gms in AHL. It's a clear message to the team, and the trashers wanted some of our best young talent so we made the right move without disrupting the great chemistry.

Take a look at the front page of the Toronto Star Sports section day after the deadline.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/307354

What crack is he smokin, proly the crack of 4 selke's 5 stanley cups + 1 cup as GM of 99' Stars. Good crack.

amen, although it is a risk

and yea, im super choked about the canucks not adding s**t to their scoring line, they need it, especially with a defence plagued with injuries. The sedins are good, but are pretty predictable, and dont weave through the ranks and make goals, they need someone like malkin to stir up their offence!!

Well I really don't think Pettinger has and will do anything good for Canucks. GM Dave Nonis should be ashamed he actually relies on only the Sedins to get scoring. All though I'm really starting to like that Shannon Raymond line, they got great speed and keep the puck in the zone, they just cant score :).

As for the Sabres, so far so good with Bernier getting 3 points and the Sabres winning 8-4. They should be even better now that Afinogenov and Stafford are back in the lineup.

I think Dallas made a great deal for Richards, 5 assists for his first game!! I think they have a pretty good chance to make it to the Stanley Cup for the West.

I think the Capitals are the winners of the deadline. Landing Huet, Cooke, and Federov for virutally only Pettinger. The Penguins made a good trade although I like Armstrong and Christensen. The Canadiens were supposed to pick up Hossa and Hedberg from the Thrashers which may explain why Huet was dealt earlier in the day. Dallas picked up Richards, however it will be extremely tough to beat the Wings or Ducks. I thought the Sabres should have held on to Campell, which it's going to tough finished 8th in the East. I thought the Islanders should have traded Bergeron for a player instead of 3rd round pick. Maybe for Pahulsson, Moen, or someone else on the Ducks. I hate Chris Simon and glad to see him leave the Island. I would have traded him for a bag of pucks. However, the Isles should have acquired a tough guy at the deadline to regulate the pests on the Rangers: Avery, Orr, and Hollweg. The Playoffs should be the best in a long time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...