NHL'94 Forums

Division Alignments

smozoma

im not in the league YET but division 2 and 3 looks like murder... sorry guys lol you got screwed. but playing good players will improve your game too! win win for you but in this case lose lose for some =p

im not in the league YET but division 2 and 3 looks like murder... sorry guys lol you got screwed. but playing good players will improve your game too! win win for you but in this case lose lose for some =p

Here's a different spin, why don't we all play each other 3 games for a 69 game schedule?

We could still have divisions set up, but this way there are no 'weighted' divisions or conferences.

We can still have division winners and tie breakers based on head to head then division records etc.

Once the regular season ends we can do the playoffs the way the NHL used do them 1st-4th each divsion makes playoffs. We do Division semi and finals, then CF then Cup.

Or another option is going to the conference format at years end, or even league format of seeding 1-16. Think the NHL did that in the late 70's early 80's.

could play a best-of-four series vs. everyone instead.

If you win the series (5 points or less), you get 4 points in the standings.

If you tie the series, (4 points exactly) you get 2 points in the standings.

If you lose the series, (3 points or less), you get 1 point in the standings.

Of course the series could be over by game three...play a 1-2-1 format.

could play a best-of-four series vs. everyone instead.

If you win the series (5 points or less), you get 4 points in the standings.

If you tie the series, (4 points exactly) you get 2 points in the standings.

If you lose the series, (3 points or less), you get 1 point in the standings.

Of course the series could be over by game three...play a 1-2-1 format.

Too many games. 92. We've played 56 in the past. I really don't see that advantage of this scheme you're talking about.. people who are bad will finish the season with 0 points.

Here's a different spin, why don't we all play each other 3 games for a 69 game schedule?

We could still have divisions set up, but this way there are no 'weighted' divisions or conferences.

We can still have division winners and tie breakers based on head to head then division records etc.

Once the regular season ends we can do the playoffs the way the NHL used do them 1st-4th each divsion makes playoffs. We do Division semi and finals, then CF then Cup.

Or another option is going to the conference format at years end, or even league format of seeding 1-16. Think the NHL did that in the late 70's early 80's.

Just thought id use this post since it says a lot of different things to say why i did what i did, not trying to pick on you here ice.

I dont want to deal with people playing everyone else 3 times because thats a pain in the ass to schedule, its already a time consuming process the way it is, but at least its easy compared to that.

I want to avoid going to the old division playoff format because then a team in one division that placed 5th could have more points than another team that finished 4th in the other division in the conference and i see that as being extremely unfair. The 5th place team plays in a tougher division, gets more points than a weak 4th place team and has no playoff matchup, thats not a situation i want to be in.

Going 1-16 wouldnt help much, i know the nhl did that, but it was in a time of expansion and the nhl didnt want some junky expansion team making the playoffs over a more established team that had a better record in a tougher division or conference.

No matter how we do things someone will cry foul and deem they are in an unfair spot, when they are appeased they dont realize they've screwed someone else or they just dont care. I'm sorry if you feel your in a tough spot, just hope that next season you get a better draw.

NO Matter what you decide is cool but you have to admit the cards are stacked up aginst me here

I think it would be best to play 4 gms vs everyone in your conference and 2 against everyone else, but that's 68 games

No worries. I'm cool however we do it. Just thought I'd throw out some other idea's.

Either way, you need to go through the gauntlet to get anywhere in this league. s**t's tough all over.