NHL'94 Forums

Penalties on/off and B-Check Impact

Ok, so I'm specifically talking about GENS.

I've personally noticed that having penalties on makes the b-check much more effective and efficient. When I say b-check, I mean the b-check that flattens your opponent and captures the puck. Not the b-check effect that pokes the puck away.

I've mentioned this to a few guys in the past but no one has noticed a difference. Does anyone out there no what I'm talking about?

It'd be cool if a sub group of people played games back to back to back to back with penatlies on then off and report their findings.

Again, my opinion is that with penalties ON the b-check is much more effective in knocking your opponent down.

• 5 years later...

I think it is true. It's probably because B is too overpowered with penalties off because automatically knocks the guy down no matter what and obviously you won't get a tripping penalty or whatever.

Oh, and you posted this 1 day after my 21st birthday, so I'm going to guess I was in no condition to respond that day :P

It's definitely true. It's the reason I suck so much at 2on2 compared to normal 94 :(. Being good at D in gens 94 is all about the B check. Being a mainly C checker holds you back so much. Penalties have to be on or it's not the same 94

All the guys I played this game with in high school & college days, including my brothers, none of us ever had penalties on. As a result, my game had zero B check in it, and worse, I was not used to being B checked!

Turn off penalties and run around w/out your C check, and you'll quickly see the impact of rules on/off.

Doesn't take but about 3-4 mins.