NHL'94 Forums

THE EPITOMY OF GAMESMANSHIP

sungod661

i was watching a video on the habs cup run of 1993 and came away with an amzing story that i want to share

if you guys want to watch it its in french here is the link the video is called 1993, 15 ans deja 3/6 http://www.rds.ca/video/visionneuse.html?c...ory=&video=

For those who dont speak french here it is :

in 1993 habs trailed the nords 2-0 in the first round of the best of 7 series going backk to montreal. Captain

Guy Carbonneau asked Mario Roberge if he was playing in game 3 of the firstround playoff game vs the nords

roberge said "no "

Carbonneau replied well get dressed you are going to take the pre game skate .

This was because before every game ron hextall would come to center ice and skate by the red line crossing into the candiens part of the ice

So Roberge who wasnt going to play got dressed and went to center ice and got on one knee waiting for hextall to come.

When Hextall came to the center ice trying to edge his skate over the center ice line roberge whacked him like 3 times in the pads with his stick.

Obviously the nord were not impresse and a scrum began involving Ricci and roberge. OF course canadiens won game 3 and eventuall the series 4 game to 2

here is the great part of the story Patrick Roy said after they won the cup

"i dont think it bothered the nordiques or hextall one bit but the montreal candiens ABSOLUTLY KNEW IT BOTHERED THEM"

1993 15 years ago