NHL'94 Forums

Crease patch?

I'm finishing a rom I promised a friend and the thing I saved for last (because I find it complicated) was editing the goal crease and the ice. I've searched the forum and found a (to quote T.H White) "Not done" tutorial :P

It's kind of complex though and seems to be made with an uncompressed rom in mind (I'm using a 30 team rom). I'm wondering if it's possible to create crease IPS patches to switch between different creases and if someone who has a 30 team rom with the old crease could create one? If not, where can I get info on which tiles to rearrange or, if it's easier in TM some hints of some kind. Any help is appreciated.

What I want to do in short is changing the crease to an international, half circle and color the ice inside the faceoff circles in the attacking zones a shade of blue.

In theory yes, you can create a patch from another edit and paste it over yours to get the rink tiles|crease you want.

Whether or not you would transplant all of the roster data and logos, banners etc is another story. Since the patch wouldn't be from the naked, or unaltered, original game.

Here's what I posted to another member a while back (and what Refuse reminded me about.)

The rink data starts at 00056060 and is comprised of a limited # of shared tiles that are repeated. For instance the faceoff circles are made up of only a few tiles that are repeated, then flipped horizontally and verticaly. Same thing for the crease and the rest of the rink.

I would use Tile Layer Pro instead of TM for editing the rink as it's easier to paste tiles around in TLP. You'll also need Hex Workshop to reconfigure the tile coordinates.

Editing the crease is a laborious, tedious process. First you have to 'free up' tiles (make sure they are not repeated anywhere else in the rink) by using another tile that is already in the rink, or creating one.

Then is the process of actually adding the pixels to the free tile, which is shared mind you. So a little part of each tile will be in another tile, making it that much more fun.

Once you actually create the tile in TLP in the rink, you have to set the coordinates at the tiles offset which you want to replace in a hex editor. The key is using a minimal amount of tiles to create your crease, faceoff circles, etc.

It took every tile available when I added the trapezoid to Macks edit. So you only have so much real estate.

I wish there was a easy way to explain it, I had to ask wboy a thousand questions when he helped me learn over a period of several weeks (and I ended up making a lot of mistakes, redoing the entire crease for my 91 edit at one point).

From what I know there's only three people know how to edit the crease: Myself, Swos (maybe Mahav) and Wboy - who doesn't visit the forums anymore.

I want to change this with some narrated video tutorials on editing the game, but I don't know when I will have the time to do it.

The other alternative is calculating the size of the rink data in hex workshop and copying the block size and pasting it over yours..Of course this would only work if someone has already created the crease and rink that you want.

which crease do you need, click here to view

I want to edit in the 92/95 crease. Preferrably keeping the new net.

Thanks for the explanation clockwise, I realize now that its more difficult than I thought, but hey, I solved all the other problems until I stumbled upon this hurdle! I based this rom on the nhl 2008 rom edited by Mahav.

It's just hard/challenging figuring out where to start.

I like this idea:

The other alternative is calculating the size of the rink data in hex workshop and copying the block size and pasting it over yours..Of course this would only work if someone has already created the crease and rink that you want.

titleuf8.pngmenupq0.jpg