NHL'94 Forums

Online Etiquette

Scribe99

Not a long list, just a few thoughts ...

1. I like to quickly see the hot or cold streaks before the game. The biggest reason is my goalie situation, because if Puppa is cold he doesn't play! So please allow me to look at this.

2. A quick pause/unpause after a goal means "nice play" -- at least to me. This goes back to my online 2k football days. I'd like to see it catch on a little.

3. If you need to pause the game for some reason, please don't pause it while there's action going on unless you have the puck in your own defensive end and have yet to initiate anything.

4. If you do pause the game for more than a few seconds, have the courtesy to scroll down to "Timeout" so that your opponent knows it might be a minute.

5. If you need to say something in P2P chat during a game (a lot of people turn off AIM when playing) pause and scroll down to "Other Scores" to indicate that. Typically this would only be needed for lag or connection issues.

That's all I have.

Not a long list, just a few thoughts ...

1. I like to quickly see the hot or cold streaks before the game. The biggest reason is my goalie situation, because if Puppa is cold he doesn't play! So please allow me to look at this.

2. A quick pause/unpause after a goal means "nice play" -- at least to me. This goes back to my online 2k football days. I'd like to see it catch on a little.

Great idea's Scriber. I gotta apologize for the bunch of games we've played recently where i flew right by the hot/cold screen. I'm so used to hitting start so quickly to get to the main menu. Sometimes forget you like to view it.

I wasn't always sure what the pause after a goal meant whenever someone did it. I figured it either meant nice play or 'I don't wanna hear that damn siren/music' lol.

I wasn't always sure what the pause after a goal meant whenever someone did it. I figured it either meant nice play or 'I don't wanna hear that damn siren/music' lol.

lol at first I thought people did it because they didn't want to hear the goal horn and music hahaha

Great ideas though Scribe.

lol at first I thought people did it because they didn't want to hear the goal horn and music hahaha

Great ideas though Scribe.

I think most ppl do this to stop the music...

And ya I like to view the hot/cold list, although in preseason I think I've been guilty of skipping through some.

i like my hot cold lists as well since my forward line is always subject to change.

and i dont get the goal thing, i always thought people were trying to kill my music and momentum since the crowd dies down if you pause the game. i just prefer it if you tell me its a nice goal afterwards since i earned that momentum surge.

i like my hot cold lists as well since my forward line is always subject to change.

and i dont get the goal thing, i always thought people were trying to kill my music and momentum since the crowd dies down if you pause the game. i just prefer it if you tell me its a nice goal afterwards since i earned that momentum surge.

wow didn't realize the pausing of a game kills the momentum of the home team. That leaves some serious gamesmanship open.

Is that a 100% positive about the momentum/crowd noise being reduced?

wow didn't realize the pausing of a game kills the momentum of the home team. That leaves some serious gamesmanship open.

Is that a 100% positive about the momentum/crowd noise being reduced?

Im not 100% on the effect of the game, but if you score a couple of quick goals and the crowd gets roaring, push the pause button and when you go back to the game you'll notice the crowd is far more quiet and that gives me the impression that my momentum in the game and for me behind the keyboard has minimized because that music and crowd noise really gets me going.

Sometimes you can't help when you have to pause...whether it be a phone call, doorbell, or in my case, my dinner is burning :D

What I like to do after a pause is when I have the puck, I'll take it back to my own end, give my opponent a second or two to set himself up, then I'll come back up ice.

I've always done quick pause/unpause to mean 'nice play'. Typically I'll only do it after a seriously nice set of passes or a sick deke move. Yeah the music stops, but I'm not sure that affects anything.

I don't know, I feel like after you see something special on the ice from your opponent it's cool to acknowledge that right then.

Also, I don't know if you've guys have noticed me doing this, but I always try to knock off the net after I score or have been scored upon. That really gets the momentum rolling! If you need more crowd noise just hit a few guys, or a net. ;)

Ya i like all of em except for the pausing after a goal.. the entire reason i am St Louis is to burn "when the saints go marching in" into my opponents mind so he goes insane!!

Ya i like all of em except for the pausing after a goal.. the entire reason i am St Louis is to burn "when the saints go marching in" into my opponents mind so he goes insane!!

only more annoying song is the sabres song. that drives me bonkers.

lol, well i don't usually play with sound on, so maybe that's why i'm not understanding the significance of the music. Also, I get to deal with whatever generic tunes are played in my arena, seeing as how I'm an expansion team.

only more annoying song is the sabres song. that drives me bonkers.

good thing you werent around in gdl 2 when i picked buffalo JUST for the music...ahh, sandstroms 232 goals and yakes 66...those were good times in the ol auditorium.

also, another thing i find to be along the lines of etiquette is celebration, i see more and more guys cheering in front of the guy im controlling or my goalie, its minor but i just find it curteous to cheer away from those two opponents, i dont know if people notice that i skate away from them and celebrate with my team.

also, another thing i find to be along the lines of etiquette is celebration, i see more and more guys cheering in front of the guy im controlling or my goalie, its minor but i just find it curteous to cheer away from those two opponents, i dont know if people notice that i skate away from them and celebrate with my team.

I see what you're saying but I also like to check players after a whistle because it gets the crowd going, which seemingly plays into momentum. Oh and if I injure someone I'm definitely going to try to to skate over that injured player. It's not meant as malicious, just good old fashioned '94 fun.

:lol: online etiquette?

hot/cold list is important. i do like to see it. we already do a decent job of treating each other well. a "gg" after a game is nice. the pause/unpause after a goal? i always thought when people did that it meant that it was a cheese goal.

and about goal celebration. :o we all do it differently. BHF will check every player, SEBE will press B a million times, and I mostly attack the goaltender with the A button :blink: do whatever you want i say.

i personally think pausing after a great goal is a wonderful idea because if my opponet scores a sick goal i want him to know i thought that was sick, or vice versa.

also i feel we should ALL abide by these rules even though im not in this leauge, i feel it reaches all aspects of nhl94 online. Etiquette is very important to me and i will understand if something comes up during a game and you need to pause, it happens to me sometimes. i think the timeout when you need a min is great and also the other scores when you need to chat is a great idea because i play full screen and cant see sometimes when people are trying to tell me something. nice work scribe.

and about goal celebration. :o we all do it differently. BHF will check every player, SEBE will press B a million times, and I mostly attack the goaltender with the A button :blink: do whatever you want i say.

the checking or attacking the goaltender is fine to me, its just when you stand there in front of my guy or the goalie that i was controlling and just let your guy raise his hands in my face, its going along the lines of a taunt in my mind, its not that big of a deal though, its just something i try to avoid because i dont want guys to think im taunting them.

the checking or attacking the goaltender is fine to me, its just when you stand there in front of my guy or the goalie that i was controlling and just let your guy raise his hands in my face, its going along the lines of a taunt in my mind, its not that big of a deal though, its just something i try to avoid because i dont want guys to think im taunting them.

i feel you. i can see how that would bother me as well.

hey if someone is doing that the c button is always available just like they would do in real life... I didnt win back to back body checking titles for nothing :dal_skater_hand_grab:

hey if someone is doing that the c button is always available just like they would do in real life... I didnt win back to back body checking titles for nothing :angry:

right on In-Carse-rated!