NHL'94 Forums

Preliminary find including All Stars in Playoffs

As I was looking at a way to add more flexible player editing to the editor I am working on, I've been able to identify the data that appears after the teams is the playoff matchup data.

Each byte (in groups of 16) define particular playoff matchups.

For NHL94, this data starts at the hex offset 0000 5576, and contains 32 matchup ending before offset 0000 5776.

00 refers to the first team based on the rom order data at that lives at 0000 030E, Anaheim

01 is Boston... 1A(dec 26) is ASE, 1B(27) is ASW.

There are limitions in how you must arrange your matchups. While I haven't explored it in full (only found this out today), some matchups can cause the rom to hang when switching left of right through the teams in playoff mode.

The hex workshop pics attached are from a rom I hacked that include the All star teams in every matchup.

While they are included, you still cannot select them to play with as yet.... that variable is yet to be found.

Now as I am trying to concentrate on getting the editor finished for its initial release, can I leave this info with all the other hackers out there to see what more they can find out.

All roms in the series have the playoff structure, and reference to the playoff data offset so what ever is found out should work for all roms.

Happy hacking - Use the force!

post-11-1116676138_thumb.jpg

post-11-1116676152_thumb.jpg

post-11-1116676164_thumb.jpg

post-11-1116676924_thumb.jpg

Great find wboy, always cool to hear about more ways to modify the game.

I think McRae was asking about the playoff matches in another post.

Wboy, amazing!! maybe now we can easily hack new versions of the game. I have been wanting to do an updated version of NHL 94 using sega cd. I wanted to use the 2005 PS2 hockey stats. I am just waiting to see if a burned copy will work in my cousins sega cd. Once I know the burned copies work I will start the game. Any help from anyone on graphic changes of banners would be much appreciated.

• 9 months later...
Very cool Bud. Is it going to be put in the editor somehow?

Well you can already assign the All Star teams to playoff draw slots (which is required to make this work) in NOSE. In addition to this, you just have to change 3 bytes in the ROM to make them selectable/playable.

I just want to check out if the other years are consistent in the way I can apply this hack before I post how its done.

Not sure how 95 onwards will react (if they supports the same hack) as it saves all the user records/trade data within the battery backup, and I'm not sure that the speciality teams are allocated space... meaning the game may explode if you use such a team in the playoffs.... or even corrupt the data in the battery backup?!?!?!?!?

• 3 years later...
There are limitions in how you must arrange your matchups. While I haven't explored it in full (only found this out today), some matchups can cause the rom to hang when switching left of right through the teams in playoff mode.

wboy, do you have any more information about this limitation? I've run into this freezing problem and don't know how to fix it.

• 6 months later...
wboy, do you have any more information about this limitation? I've run into this freezing problem and don't know how to fix it.

I think the issue is when a team is never a home team in any of the playoff matchups. When you scroll over to the team in the menu, the game will enter an infinite loop, trying to find a playoff matchup where the team is the home team.

Solution: make sure that each team is the home team in at least one playoff starting bracket.