NHL'94 Forums

Parking in front of your opponents Goalie

I like to keep the game moving. Unneeded stoppages are just a drag. Rarely do I have my goalies freeze the puck. And I never stand in front of the goalie as he is trying to pass the puck. To keep things moving I skate away.

What are people’s thoughts out there? Is it acceptable to stand in face of your opponent’s goalie as he tries to move the puck up ice?

I'm talking a game with no line changes. I understand with line changes you might need to force a break to change your lines.

I like to keep the game moving. Unneeded stoppages are just a drag. Rarely do I have my goalies freeze the puck. And I never stand in front of the goalie as he is trying to pass the puck. To keep things moving I skate away.

What are people’s thoughts out there? Is it acceptable to stand in face of your opponent’s goalie as he tries to move the puck up ice?

I'm talking a game with no line changes. I understand with line changes you might need to force a break to change your lines.

I'll assume you're talking about playing a human, because we all get frustrated when we clear out of the CPU keeper's way and he still won't pass the puck.

I try and stay in front of the opposing keeper when he has the puck as much as possible, because I know that it's rare for the guy to hold on to the puck and force a stoppage no matter how bad his passing prospects are, and if I stay close I might poach his pass and score.

I'll assume you're talking about playing a human, because we all get frustrated when we clear out of the CPU keeper's way and he still won't pass the puck.

I try and stay in front of the opposing keeper when he has the puck as much as possible, because I know that it's rare for the guy to hold on to the puck and force a stoppage no matter how bad his passing prospects are, and if I stay close I might poach his pass and score.

I agree 100% with this.

I'll keep it moving if I'm playing the com, no reason for stopage really.

Against an opponent I usually just stand in front of the golie in case of an errant pass.

I'm going to employ every tatic I have in order to triumph, so I'm not going to give anyone a free outlet pass for a potential opportunity to score.

• 4 months later...

For us, etiquette demanded NO GOALIE STOPPAGE, and MANDATORY goalie pass, EVEN with opponents players in front of the goal. We have always absolutely frowned on stoppages, Icing was avoided, and you were berrated for it. But holding the puck with the goalie was never tolerated. (Maybe in OT) That's just the way 20 or so of us here did it in Romeo, Michigan

Usually when my friends and I play it's the same thing. No one wants play to stop.

For us, etiquette demanded NO GOALIE STOPPAGE, and MANDATORY goalie pass, EVEN with opponents players in front of the goal. We have always absolutely frowned on stoppages, Icing was avoided, and you were berrated for it. But holding the puck with the goalie was never tolerated. (Maybe in OT) That's just the way 20 or so of us here did it in Romeo, Michigan

Are guys who intercept the mandatory goaltender pass allowed to shoot on net as soon as they get it, or are they expected to wait a moment before doing so?

Guest cr0ssbar94

I will give my expert opinion on this later.

I posted this message shortly after I joined the online scene. How times have changed. Playing online, you quickly learn it's a different world when compared to playin your buddies in your living room having some beers. Your online opponent simply can't hear you when you yell "you cheap ass b***h!"

With online play you have to adapt to be competitive. And when in Rome, make like the Romans. Fast forward to today and I can say now that I won't hesitate to park in front of your goalie playin online. But you better believe I'm gonna call you a b***h if you do it im my living room! :)

I always park in front of the opponents goal. I don't see why not.

First of all I usually win the faceoff, and if I don't, I have a great chance of getting it back. Second, the faceoff in your opponent's end is a great set play that can often lead to a goal. Third, if the goalie dares to pass you can pick it off. And lastly, if you're lucky and good you can even poke it away from the goalie as he freezes it for an easy goal.

AIM: Kallephonya

SNES

Are guys who intercept the mandatory goaltender pass allowed to shoot on net as soon as they get it, or are they expected to wait a moment before doing so?

Yes, fire away on open cage evertime. I don't believe in cheap goals, only poor defense. Grabbing a forced/hurried goaltender outlet (we called it dumping) and scoring is the way we did it. And EVERYONE followed it to a tee: never heard a complaint from anyone. It's just one of the many facets of the game, hate it or love it.