NHL'94 Forums

SNES Editing

dangler

Does anyone know much about editing the SNES rom or emulator? From what I've read, the GENS version seems a lot easier to edit than the SNES version. All of the GENS leagues with the fantasy drafts and logging player stats for scoring races really looks AWESOME! I would love to get a league going that did that for SNES. I know there are some juiced SNES roms out there so it can be done, but how about ways to log the player stats like the GENS do? Any hackers able to rig something up to make that easier? I wouldn't even mind taking screen shots of player statistics and uploading them if it was necessary for a scoring race, but I have a feeling that too many games would get exited without checking the stats so it wouldn't work.

Does anyone know much about editing the SNES rom or emulator? From what I've read, the GENS version seems a lot easier to edit than the SNES version. All of the GENS leagues with the fantasy drafts and logging player stats for scoring races really looks AWESOME! I would love to get a league going that did that for SNES. I know there are some juiced SNES roms out there so it can be done, but how about ways to log the player stats like the GENS do? Any hackers able to rig something up to make that easier? I wouldn't even mind taking screen shots of player statistics and uploading them if it was necessary for a scoring race, but I have a feeling that too many games would get exited without checking the stats so it wouldn't work.

GENS is easier because they have their 'easy-to-use' N.O.S.E. program....thus the reason why you see many several genesis leagues with drafts etc. Because the rom is easy to make. If you were to do the same with snes..it would be very time consuming...unfortunately there is no one who has the skills interested in making such a program for snes.

as for stats...dadonch44 created a snes stats extractor(which I believe is available through the forums). I used it a while back for a season I played with a buddy of mine. It is a fine creation.

as for stats...dadonch44 created a snes stats extractor(which I believe is available through the forums). I used it a while back for a season I played with a buddy of mine. It is a fine creation.

That sounds awesome! I don't really care about the drafting that much, I'm much more interested in the stats extractor... i think incorporating a scoring race would be SICKKK! we should try to get a league going where we can do this.

"Snes9K Emulator v. 0.09z" is that the emulator i'm looking for? it says it has the kaillera client built in... is that the part that saves the games? i tried playing with it and tried saving the game and it worked great! why haven't we been using this emulator for other leagues? i know the screen size is tough to adjust... but you can eventually find one that works, and thats the only problem i can find with it

it would be awesome to get a league going that uses this emulator and saves player stats. i wouldn't even mind being that guy that keeps track of all the stats (the only problem is i wouldn't know how to post them to a website, but i would be willing to learn and could probably figure it out this summer). i would just wanna make sure all the SNES players that sign up are committed to keeping stats and playing all games, which obviously can be extremely tough.

Yeah, I'd say it would be awesome to keep that detailed stats in a league. ZSNES is the emulator of choice though. And it's savegames are the ones used with DaDonch's season tool (although Snes9x and ZSNES savegame files are both roughly the same, one of them just stores additional unnecessary info, can't remember which one) but maybe it supports Snes9x save states as well.

I've made a season tool of my own that extract stats for use with Excel. But I haven't made it user friendly enough for release... Since all isn't done inside that program, the additional need for Excel, is one big drawback. It should be fairly simple to use, but far from self explanatory.

13545693mx5.jpg

Since DaDonch's only support the default rom, I had to make one of my own for my custom roms :) Nah.. I had thought about it for a long time, and I wanted to learn more programming and that was a good challange for me. I actually think I had already began work on it (at least parts) back when DaDonch released his software. I've managed to squeeze out some nifty stats, "game winning goals" and PPG/SHG were the hardest ones to dig up, the rest was pretty basic. I regret that I didn't dig up "game tying goals" when I was at it though..

I think I discussed stats with Halifax for the latest Nostalgia league, but don't know what came out of it. Not sure what the general interest in something like this would be. Me myself, I'm a huge stats freak for some reason, haha, hence the creation of this tool I guess.

Cool man, I am definitley interested in getting player stats into the next league... thats a pretty intense stat sheet u created!

i didn't know you could save states in the zsnes version, i'll have to test that out. but yah if we can get enough interest in a league that records players stats along with the standings that would be awesome! we wouldn't need all of those stats on the stat sheet u made but if you're already close to finishing it, then may as well! GP, goals, assists, points, shots, pims would be good enough for me.

During an online game you can just press F2 at the end of it to save a state in ZSNES. But since you can't manually change state slots (that I know of) online, you'll want to enable "auto increment" so that it automatically jumps to the next slot once you save. And that way it'll work just fine, as long as you use the default rom.

If you know what you're doing, you could actually make it so that the stats extractor reads the player names automatically (that would do it so that it would work with any rom). I've got the code for most of it from a friend, but like I've said, I've pretty much put most hacking related on ice. But I'll try and help out.

If you know what you're doing, you could actually make it so that the stats extractor reads the player names automatically (that would do it so that it would work with any rom). I've got the code for most of it from a friend, but like I've said, I've pretty much put most hacking related on ice. But I'll try and help out.

YAH, i'm pretty sure I wouldn't have the sweetest clue where to even begin doing that hahaha. I have no experience with hacking. A little experience with computer programming (took one course on it in engineering). I'm currently trying to teach myself HTML to make webpages.... so this sounds a little out of my league. I am always interested in learning though.

I'm more leaning towards someone else doing the work by making the player stat league, then me reaping the benefits and playing in it.... hahaha

but jokes aside, I could try to learn some hacking

This would be alot of freakin' fun! we should defintly have a league with kept stats and such. and have awards for things like the NHL, and can create our own of course...

and once again...once my buddy has time and we gather the right info...gonna try and get a N.O.S.E for snes....*fingers crossed*

and once again...once my buddy has time and we gather the right info...gonna try and get a N.O.S.E for snes....*fingers crossed*

Sorry sir... easier said than done!

Question is if he knows assembler.. :) What we REALLY need is for someone to decompress the graphics. Being able to edit graphics is the only really important thing missing for SNES NHL '94. An editor that surpasses the current editor (shouldn't be hard) would sure be good, save a lot of time and would make editing more accessible to people that don't want to learn "hex editing".

Because knowledge in programming isn't that common? :) And SNES player are rare as it is (even though there seem to have been an explosion lately).

What I meant is that it isn't advanced programming, far from it.