NHL'94 Forums

Hex Editing SNES Colors

Hello all,

I was wondering if there's anyone out there who has hex edited NHL94 team and bar colors, and if there are bytes which determine the number of letters in the [ QUEBEC ] bar (for instance) on the main screen. I've been able to change Hartford and Winnipeg to Carolina and Phoenix, but Colorado in place of Quebec (and changing one of the allstar teams to AllStars as opposed to All Stars) throws everything afterward off. All I've done successfully so far is change the team and arena names; I've figured out player statistics and such; and I might replace the All Star teams with Minnesota and Nashville (Columbus and Atlanta... sigh... they're not "real" franchises yet).

I know there are palette editors and such, will have to take a look at those.

get in touch with xstioph. the fact that you've put in the effort thus far...he may be willing to share share info.....and his notes are well organized and highly detailed. plus he's just a great person to deal with. he helped me out a lot when i took on the editing side of things.

get in touch with xstioph. the fact that you've put in the effort thus far...he may be willing to share share info.....and his notes are well organized and highly detailed. plus he's just a great person to deal with. he helped me out a lot when i took on the editing side of things.

Will do. Does he still play?

I got the Coyotes away jersey but cannot figure out the home jerseys for the life of me.

I've never changed the team banners colors.. Mack did a NHL '94 hack back in 2003 where he changed the banners though:

snes94v1a00000pg3.png

He mentioned somewhere (recently) that he had used a sprite editor or something like that to edit those.

As for editing the jerseys, I use the only currently available (that I know of?) NHL '94 editor (made by "JG Games"). We should have Evan upload it on the download section. I've began writing down the jersey offset data, but never got it done. Unfortunately you cannot edit player cards on SNES, graphics are compressed and can't be viewed in the tile editors. That's a real bummer.

Cool to see that there's finally someone else exploring SNES NHL '94! :) Keep up the good work!

I've never changed the team banners colors.. Mack did a NHL '94 hack back in 2003 where he changed the banners though:

snes94v1a00000pg3.png

He mentioned somewhere (recently) that he had used a sprite editor or something like that to edit those.

As for editing the jerseys, I use the only currently available (that I know of?) NHL '94 editor (made by "JG Games"). We should have Evan upload it on the download section. I've began writing down the jersey offset data, but never got it done. Unfortunately you cannot edit player cards on SNES, graphics are compressed and can't be viewed in the tile editors. That's a real bummer.

Cool to see that there's finally someone else exploring SNES NHL '94! :) Keep up the good work!

The team banner colors weren't that hard to figure out at all, but I'm pulling my hair out over the uniforms. Is there any way to uncompress the graphics?

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showtopic=5178

Doesn't really add much, but it's been discussed before. From Mack's hacks.

And no, you can not really decompress the graphics. Graphics decompressors have to be custom made for each game from what I've understand (there are some for the really popular games like Zelda and SMW I think). And I think you need to know Assembler programming.

Might wanna check out this page as well:

http://www.romhacking.net/