NHL'94 Forums

Pictures from NHL 94 Tournament

mikeb

Hey all,

I meant to post this earlier.. but now that I have a job, I have plenty of time to actually do it.

Back in January, a few friends and I approached a local bar and asked if we could host an NHL94 tournament. The bartended ended up being a big fan of the game, and several people at the bar immediately started talking about the game (and suggesting "why not NHL 95?", etc.). So they agreed to let us organize it. I made some fliers (http://mikebeauchamp.com/nhl94/nhl94-flier.gif) and hung them up, etc.

The bar had a digital projector that I ran the genesis into and projected it onto a white sheet covering the entire window. I made a cable to run the Genesis audio through the PA system that they have for bands. I brought a large white-board to write down the bracket, and we made up some trophies (the best we could find were second hand lawn-bowling trophies that I stuck masking-tape labels on). We were hoping for 16 people, and ended up having about 14, which meant that we did a lottery to see what losers from previous games would get a second chance to play again. The bracket was randomized, and home/away was chosen with a coin toss. We were going to charge $3 and offer cash prizes, but we ended up letting everyone play for free so we had more players.

Anyways, it went great, and we had a lot of spectators watching, especially the final games. The bar asked me to organize it regularly, but I was leaving for New Zealand.

Anyways, here's a few pictures:

resized_nhl94phog%20005.jpg

resized_nhl94phog%20016mod.jpg

resized_n502493256_287340_8917.jpg

resized_nhl94phog%20033.jpg

resized_n502493256_287352_1869.jpg

(the rest of the pictures are here: http://mikebeauchamp.com/images/show.php?set=nhl-94-at-phog)

FWIW, we played with 5 minute periods (except for the last game), penalties on and off-sides turned off. (we turned off-sides off, figuring it would make the tournament go faster and be less of a learning curve for people that haven't played recently). Players could choose whatever team they wanted, but had to stick with that team throughout the tournament.

Mike

The bartended ended up being a big fan of the game, and several people at the bar immediately started talking about the game (and suggesting "why not NHL 95?", etc.). So they

Geezus, right there's grounds to be put in front of a firing squad. Dude's had to have been lit to even utter 95'.

Looks awesome tho bro. Glad you guys had a good time. Love seeing the original console sitting there all nice and pretty with the best damn cartridge ever made. Brings a tear sniff sniff to my eye.\

BTW that was me in th 2nd pic with the bald head.