NHL'94 Forums

Who would you pick Evgeni Malkin, Sidney Crosby or Alexander Ovechkin?

JeffBC

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you pick?

• Evgeni Malkin
    • Sidney Crosby
    • Alexander Ovechkin

If you could only pick 1 guy out of the 3 players who would it be?

Evgeni Malkin, Sidney Crosby or Alexander Ovechkin?

I'd pick Sidney Crosby.

Gotta go with Alex O

Dudes the whole package and then some. Love his spirit and energy.

Not by much tho. Malks and Cros are right there too obviously. Never seen someone so powerful yet effortless on skates like Malkin. Sure Coffey was as smooth as they come, but he wasn't powerful.

Alexander Ovechkin because he's full of energy and talent Malkin likes to sit his ass aroudn some games and Crosby is playing like a wussie sometimes ;)

Crosby doesn't play like a wussie.... he plays hard every point. That is essentially his calling card (drawing penalties at the highest rate in the NHL)

Now... if you said he whines to the refs, you may have a point, but that was mostly his rookie year.

I was watching Off The Record A year or 2 ago on TSN and Michael Landsberg was interviewing Pavel Bure.

Pavel Bure said he would pick Malkin over Ovechkin.

it's gotta be crosby, art ross and hart trophy last year (along with the pearson which is voted on by the players).... sure ovechkin will get them this year but crosby was leading the league in points before he got injured so who's to say he wasn't going to get them again? i hate when people say crosby is a whiner. i'll agree he did a bit of whining in his rookie year, but he was just an 18 year old kid then. he's really matured and shows it now while wearing the C on his jersey. if he complains to the refs, its because thats his job! anyone who's not a captain or an alternate is not even supposed to speak to the refs. it also shows that he plays the game with a lot of passion as well, which everyone knows can't be taught or learned, you gotta be born with it (hence Canadian). Go Crosby, and Go Pens! Win that cup and bring it home.

I'd pick Alex Ovechkin in a heartbeat. He is the whole package; speed, skill, aggresiveness, size, etc. Malkin comes close because he also has a lot of skills that are similar to Ovechkin. Crosby, well, I don't really like him at all, mostly because in my opinion he is a pussy and he whines to the refs whenever something doesn't go his way. Ovechkin on the other hand would take it like a man and get the other guy back in a clean, yet powerful way.

Somebody is eventually bound to break the "European Captaincy Drought" and I think it will be A.O. if he is ever named captain.

And just a side note, look at Crosby's playoff sanchez compared to Ovechkin's one week full grown beard ;)

Crosby is a year younger than malkin and two years younger than ovechkin.

Evgeni Malkin 1.19 career points per game

Alexander Ovechkin 1.26 points per game

Sidney Crosby 1.38 points per game

.....next question.

Alexander Ovechkin 1.26 points per game

Sidney Crosby 1.38 points per game

I didn't bother looking up their goals per game, but I know it would heavily favour AO. IMO, goals are more valuable than assists and should hold more weight when comparing points per game. AO's goalscoring ability is the reason I would pick him over Crosby. Well, that and the fact that he is the most dynamic and exciting player I have ever seen live. Also, if anyone isn't convinced that AO is the man, check this out:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=13543861#post13543861

Ive always found Crosby to be full of himself and cocky. screw that

Alex is about having fun and playing well for the team, great character. hes my pick

i like how no one picked malkin lol

So Crosby has .12 more points per game average, look at who Crosby has to work with? Ovechkin plays in washington and has had to play with some less than spectacular linemates, and he still got it done. Now that the offense is looking up a lot with Backstrom and Federov, I expect Ovechkin to rack in even more points.

I'm reminded of earlier days when Gretzky and Lemieux dominated the league. To me, Crosby is the new Gretzky, he's more of a play-maker than a goal scorer, light and quick, great hockey sense. Lemieux to Ovechkin is the obvious comparision, as Ovechkin is a very talented goal scorer, not so much of a play maker. Hard hitter and fast skater as well.

So Crosby has .12 more points per game average, look at who Crosby has to work with? Ovechkin plays in washington and has had to play with some less than spectacular linemates, and he still got it done. Now that the offense is looking up a lot with Backstrom and Federov, I expect Ovechkin to rack in even more points.

I'm reminded of earlier days when Gretzky and Lemieux dominated the league. To me, Crosby is the new Gretzky, he's more of a play-maker than a goal scorer, light and quick, great hockey sense. Lemieux to Ovechkin is the obvious comparision, as Ovechkin is a very talented goal scorer, not so much of a play maker. Hard hitter and fast skater as well.

I think Malkin is more like Lemieux than Ovechkin. Ovechkin is his own type :P.

These are interesting times.. the past 10 years have basically been the post Gretzky/Lemieux years.. now we're in the Crosby/Ovechkin/Malkin years..

Malkin's 1.19 pts/gm come from the 2nd line. When Crosby was out, he was, I think, over 1.60 pts/gm (but anyone can have a hot month..). When Crosby's in the lineup, he plays about a minute less than Crosby (~5%).

After seeing a replay of a shift where Crosby lost his stick, fought of TWO guys for the puck, then got his stick back with control of the puck.. I find it hard to question how hard he plays :P

the fact is that though I think all 3 are great.... is anyone playing better than Evgeni Malkin has been since Sid went out with the ankle injury?

Geno scored more than Ovechkin did during that time.. and he's been lighting up the playoffs like crazy. I think it's a little bit of oversight on our parts that no one has picked him.

The whole notion that Crosby is soft stems from accusatory claims that he's a diver.. Well who isn't? Practically every player in the NHL embellishes, or accentuates if they are hooked, high sicked, tripped etc. He'd probably be criticized if he didn't go down most of the time; cause guys like Ovechkin, Malkin, and Crosby can stand up in a hammock.

It's just more visible when he does it because he's always under the microscope.

Let's not forget the guy played with a broken foot throughout the playoffs last year.

Far as my pick: these guys are in the upper echelon, and considered the top three players in the world right now.

But from a GM's standpoint, Crosby would be my pick. He's more affable to North American fans - speaking perfect English -and will fill your seats for the next 15+ years.

But whatever, I just enjoy watching these amazing players; if they stay healthy, they will likely all be in the HOF someday.

I'd take Crosby. He's the most Gretzky-ish, and I think his teammates would learn the most from him. Ovechkin and Malkin have lots skill, but I think Crosby has the most skills that others could actually learn. You have to wonder how could all Gretzky's teammates would have become if he had never played with them... Messier, Kurri, Coffey, etc.. Trading away those guys (Christensen?) for Hossa probably cost them a lot 5 years from now, as those guys would have become better than they otherwise would have, due to playing with someone as good as Crosby.

I would have to take Ovechkin. Ovechkin can fit many roles, he can be the big hitter, grind it out in the corners, he can finish, he can set it up, he can provide power, the total package not to mention the energy and excitement he brings with him every game. This guy celebrates every goal as if it were his first. Malkin and Crosby, still very talented, but Ovechkin brings so much more to the table.

I didn't bother looking up their goals per game, but I know it would heavily favour AO. IMO, goals are more valuable than assists and should hold more weight when comparing points per game. AO's goalscoring ability is the reason I would pick him over Crosby. Well, that and the fact that he is the most dynamic and exciting player I have ever seen live. Also, if anyone isn't convinced that AO is the man, check this out:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=13543861#post13543861

that is the most ridiculous statement i have ever heard, goals are more important than assists? its rare to have a goal scored without an assist, lets say 1 every game or 2. so thats like 5% of goals are unassisted, the other 95ish% wouldn't occur if that pass wasn't made. i was taught that an assist is JUST as important as a goal growing up and i'm sure the majority of hockey players will agree with that as well. look at the great wayne gretzky for example, he had more assists in his career than any other player had points! even if he never scored a goal in his life he would still be the alltime scoring leader, ask him how important an assist is and I wonder what he'll say? lets revisit this discussion topic in 20 years when malkin, crosby and ovechkins careers are coming to an end and we'll see who was right and who was wrong. go crosby and go pens!

as for ovechkin negotiating his own contract... haha who cares? maybe thats why crosby got captain before ovechkin, because he requested LESS money so that management could spread it over the team better... he signed for 8.7 mil/year, when he easily could've been making over 10.

don't get me wrong, I love malkin and ovechkin, they're both amazing to watch! I love how ovechkin celebrates like its his first goal every time he scores. but the question is "who would you choose?" And from a GM's standpoint, you have to go with the player who's going to 1) take less money to better his team 2) make everyone around him better hockey players 3) give it everything he's got game in and game out along with supplying the needed goals and ASSISTS to win games. Ya gotta go with Crosby.

Last closing remark, remember the shootout competition during this past allstar game? crosby was injured and couldn't attend, but do you remember oveckins attempts at those puck juggling shots? If you truly believe that ovechkin is more exciting and dynamic than crosby, tell me that crosby wouldn't have made some jaws drop in that competition? i hope they do the same thing next allstar game to see how many heads crosby can turn with his moves