NHL'94 Forums

What is most valuable to a team? F, D or G

HABS

What do you guys think is most valuable to a team..

forward such as roenick, bure, mogilny

defence like bourque chelios or sweeney

or goaltending like roy, belfour?

Im curious because of the upcomming draft at nhl94.net

thanks for all opinions!

It's difficult to say because all three of the positions are equally indispensable. But there are some vital attributes that are essential when formulating a team.
One of them is speed. Speed is an absolute necessity in '94, and can really disguise a individual players deficiencies no matter the position. It's speed that will make the difference on break always and one-timers on the rush.
Shot power and accuracy are important, obviously.
I also think offensive awareness and passing accuracy are underrated.
Naturally some players are more coveted than others, but seeing how there is an abundance of great forwards: good D and a strong keeper will probably be at a premium in the draft.

offensive awareness def.!!!!

I played with Vancouver once and put Nedved in the center.

The guy has no speed or offensive awareness but a 99 accuracy.

You have to wait ages before he shows up infront of the keeper

For drafting purposes, I would go for a good goalie 1st. Roy and Belfour are just plain sick. Almost unfair to have either of these 2 netminders.

If the goalie's are unavailable, Roenick. Roenick can simply do everything exceptionally well.

If Roenick is gone too, then it really depends on your playing style.

Like to do lots of fakes? - Go for Agility

One - Timers? Offensive Awareness

Slap Shot? Shot Power

Defensive Player? - Checking or Defensive awareness

just my 2 cents.

The most important position regardless of manual goalie control is the Goalie!!! Patrick Roy is by far the number one goalie in NHL94. Because he has 99 glv left 99 glove right, he is able to stop one timers that belfour or anyone else cannot. His 99 puck control also makes sure he does not give up rebounds, something belfour does.

The most important position regardless of manual goalie control is the Goalie!!! Patrick Roy is by far the number one goalie in NHL94. Because he has 99 glv left 99 glove right, he is able to stop one timers that belfour or anyone else cannot. His 99 puck control also makes sure he does not give up rebounds, something belfour does.

What is this NHL.net draft? are you picking players from 94 to make a team? do all the teams have equal home adv--dis?

I would agree that drafting Roy or Belfour first is the best idea. They make a huge difference in the game, as you already know with Roy ;)

Then, go for the guys that you find YOU can score best with, not necessarily the guys with best speed or overall ratings. My team would consist of maybe Sandstrom, Eklund, Sundin for forwards. Depends on your style of play but pick your favorite guys to use.

That's my 2 cents.

-Evan

Guest nhl92fan

What is this NHL.net draft? are you picking players from 94 to make a team? do all the teams have equal home adv--dis?

It's an online league with 8 teams. We draft 6 fowards 4 dmen and 2 goalies. Then everyone has their own team (no line changes) and we play a season.

;)

It's an online league with 8 teams. We draft 6 fowards 4 dmen and 2 goalies. Then everyone has their own team (no line changes) and we play a season.

:)

That sounds awesome!!! hey guys how do you play these online leagues, what software is needed?

• 8 years later...

*FLASHBACK* BUMP! Seems like 8-9 years ago, people thought drafting goalies was the smart bet. Currently that's out of fashion with elite players, basically drafting a goalie as early as 3rd round in a 24 team draft, but more often in the 4-6th rounds. :)

D is definitely the least important. Average Joe dmen are amazing for b checks, and that's all you need defensively. Forwards are pretty much unanimously considered the most important, and for good reason. I used to under value goalies but they are sorta important. I think as long as you don't end up with a below avg goalie you're in good shape defensively.

Really though, Center is far and away your most important position. if you don't use your first round pick as a centermen I think you're nuts lol

well actually coach is the most important position when it comes to videogame hockey ;)

Edited by TomKabs93

As a graduate of the KG school of hockey ....Kabs is highly qualified unlike Raph who has graduated from Icestorm school of commissioning! His 0 GDL championships are a sign that he graduated with honours

As a graduate of the KG school of hockey ....Kabs is highly qualified unlike Raph who has graduated from Icestorm school of commissioning! His 0 GDL championships are a sign that he graduated with honours

Exactly, thanks for the backup. There should be a private sub forum where only gdl champs are allowed to post.

kgman post a picture of your thumb in the other thread

I like big bugs and i cannot lie

I'm a bit of a skeptic myself so I wanted to try the goalie route first round as a test in this season of Blitz A to see the same conclusion out myself or prove it wrong. The conclusion I came to even in pre-season was that it's definately not good to use round 1-2 pick for a goalie. Just rather build the core to your liking with F-F or F-D. If you are not much of a manual goalie then get one of the guys with stick&gloves 3/4+, don't leave picks to Hrudey and peeps. Good manual goalies like Plabax & Frey can just use anyone and make a case for them, but goalies do matter if you're not much of a manual goalie. Just not first or second round much. Have to write about this again when the next GDL draft is upcoming, if everyone just went with this knowledge it could have a nice effect towards the end of first round in picks.

I think this whole snake draft is stupid gives advantage to higher skilled players to setup team they want using strategy ...carse always ended up with best team for example I think all drafts should stay true to nhl real draft

I think this whole snake draft is stupid gives advantage to higher skilled players to setup team they want using strategy ...carse always ended up with best team for example I think all drafts should stay true to nhl real draft

I agree. Snake draft might give a better 1-2 punch to higher skilled players. Also trading picks goes 99% advantage to the higher skilled players who know to anticipate the players where they go more. I don't like restricts in general, but normal draft + no trading picks would make for more interesting teams and give better handicap vs skill in GDL. A top tier coach should never be allowed to get a punch of Gretzky-Lemieux for example from the draft. That's just crazy. :P

++ edit.

Few things I have to add on this. Obviously with non-snake draft the new players could not be last. Maybe insert them to a window before "A" players or to the start.

One has to wonder would the ADP be any different with no trading and non-snake draft. I would bet on that some players would be taken earlier who can now be traded down to be taken to. This would imply that the ADP list of "A" players is different from ADP list of overall from all guys, making the general ADP list false, but maybe not too much. At least this would be interesting to see out.

Edited by Depch