NHL'94 Forums

How to win faceoffs

HABS

Replace the regular pucks with radio controlled pucks that you control. *shrug*

That's all I can come up with...oh wait, that and pray. Pray a lot.

all i ever do is hold down and slam on b...i like holding down since i seem to win more that way and i have like a handful of plays i can use once i get the puck back to my defenseman.

i think it depends on the lag of the connection on who gets last push cause im west coast and have to deal with eastern servers alot and i notice my faceoff percentage is like 25 % and i mash like im masterbating and still lose most.so i guess the guy with the best connection at the used server wins most often.

and i notice my faceoff percentage is like 25 % and i mash like im masterbating

LOL

I have to believe it totally at random who wins. But generally you got a 50/50 shot at winning the face off.

Take a look at the GDL stats. There's a lot of data in there. Everyone is hovering right around 50%. Thats gotta say something.

My technique for face offs? I dont have one. In fact i never even did anything. Most of the time I just sat and watch and hoped I'd win it. So with no interaction I still managed to hover around 50% career in GDL.

When your team wins the faceoff, you can influence the direction in which the puck goes by pressing in that direction prior to the faceoff. So if you're skating up you can make the faceoffs you win go straight back by pressing down or back and to the side by pressing diagonally downward. If you press in the direction in which your team is attacking, chances are you're going to give your opponents a lot of faceoff wins (which may be your goal if you intend to check and steal the puck back right away.)

As far as actually winning the faceoff, I think it's random.

Guest Wags13

I notice an advantage the game gives to the defending team when they take a draw at either circle.. more times (60-70% of the time) than not that face off is going to the defending team with the goalie racing to the corner to go get it.

[sNES] It's totally random. I hacked the rom so there were no players. And on a face off, the puck would just take of in a random direction. :) But you ARE able to win every face off (you'll notice it if you save states and reload, as the CPU will do the EXACT same thing every time, which you would notice if you start a game CPU vs CPU and save state in the middle of the game, but anyway...), it's just the main puck drop that's random. Dunno how it's on Genesis though.

[sNES] It's totally random. I hacked the rom so there were no players. And on a face off, the puck would just take of in a random direction.

that doesnt really mean its random. It could be programmed that it goes in a direction no matter what, but it doesnt mean that the player cant influence which side it goes. it can be who ever gets in more swats at the puck will win.

you guys say you mash like crazy and still lose, maybe the other guy is mashing faster then you :)

i mash like crazy and usually win.

i tried to time it right and i lose.

I have a secret that hopefully not a lot of you knew about :D

When I take a faceoff in the attacking zone (going up), you will see the guy walking down the stairs. At the precise moment he sits down, the ref drops the puck. If you notice, right when the guy appears, I'll stop pressing the B button and I'll wait for the guy, then I press B right when he sits down. It works for me 90% of the time.

But other than that I think it is random. Also, sometimes it seems as if the puck is dropped earlier than other puckdrops in the game.. For example, at the beginning of the game it'll take like 5 seconds to drop the puck while other times it seems like it's only been 3 seconds.

wow.....

well, Ive been in games where ive been completely dominated at faceoffs yet when you check the faceoff stats they are close to the same.

But to prove faceoffs arent random lets look at AJ who dominates faceoffs, and my stats. **adding icestorm who also rips faceoffs and carse

GDL: http://65.36.133.56/nhl94_draft/teamstats....&leagueid=1

AJ 54.1%

HABS 49.3%

ICE 54.4%

CARSE 52.9%

FVHL: http://fvhl.net/teamstats.asp?orderby=FOPct&coach=

AJ 58.7%

HABS 49%

ICE 56.4%

CARSE 54.3%

NHL94dynasty: http://www.nhl94dynasty.com/teamstats.asp?...OPct&coach=

HABS 41.4% (dead last)

ICE 55%

CARSE 55.2%

well, Ive been in games where ive been completely dominated at faceoffs yet when you check the faceoff stats they are close to the same.

But to prove faceoffs arent random lets look at AJ who dominates faceoffs, and my stats. **adding icestorm who also rips faceoffs and carse

I actually masterbate while i mash the joystick. Not sure if hokkee does it that way too, but if not, it looks like it works out ok.

:lol:

Even with habs stats it can still be random.

it can be programed to keep it with in a certain percentile. notice how the stats dont differ for more then like 15%

Try and get 30% or less / 70% or more

Even with habs stats it can still be random.

it can be programed to keep it with in a certain percentile. notice how the stats dont differ for more then like 15%

Try and get 30% or less / 70% or more

It's not particularly uncommon to win 80+% of the faceoffs in a game, and the game doesn't know what happens in other games you play, so that doesn't really make sense (tracking the percentage).

The fact that everyone is between 40-60% suggests that it's "pretty much" random. I know that checking is a bad strategy, anyway; You'll usually lose the faceoff (though maybe check a guy and steal the puck).

It's the same with passing. No matter how careful you are, maintaining a passing percentage of over 60 over many games is pretty much impossible, unless you make reeeaaally easy passes all the time.

Also, checking is not a simple "who is lighter" matchup. Sometimes you bounce off, sometimes you don't (though typically the lighter guy wins.. but not always!)

It's the genius of the game, really, the randomness.

It's the same with passing. No matter how careful you are, maintaining a passing percentage of over 60 over many games is pretty much impossible, unless you make reeeaaally easy passes all the time.

Fun fact: one-timers do not count as completed passes because the receiving player never actually takes possession of the puck.

Fun fact: one-timers do not count as completed passes because the receiving player never actually takes possession of the puck.

Yeah, this is why my passing is next to last in the gdl league :lol: