NHL'94 Forums

Macintosh issues

is anyone using the Genesis Plus v1.2.8 on a Mac

because when i use the Mack's Hack 07 for Gens i got a serious issue:

playing playoffs/7 game after 1st game i try and continue playoffs and i get Anaheim vs Anaheim. then at the face off, i push a direction button and it sends me back to the main menu.

this is frustrating.

HOWEVER, i'm very stoked that NHL94 has current rosters.

Hey gray,

Do you get issues when using any ROM in the playoffs? Or is it just this ROM?

Also, you've been able to play Genesis ROMs on your MAC without problems? If so, there's several guys looking to get setup with their MAC. Let us know your setup so we can help others out.

Thanks!

-Evan

Hey gray,

Do you get issues when using any ROM in the playoffs? Or is it just this ROM?

Also, you've been able to play Genesis ROMs on your MAC without problems? If so, there's several guys looking to get setup with their MAC. Let us know your setup so we can help others out.

Thanks!

-Evan

Yes, this issue only arrives when i'm in the playoffs. After game 1, it takes me back to the main menu and the "continue playoffs" section. the teams are set at Anaheim vs Anaheim. if you toggle to the right or left and then back you'll find your team and their opponent. after starting up the game and you're at the first face off circle, hitting any button (not D pad) you'll be taken back to the main menu, as if what you started was a game demo.

i have no idea what's up with all that.

i've been playing Genesis ROMs on my Mac for a while. I use the Genesis Plus v1.2.8. The options and game saving are not quite as awesome as the Snes9x. In fact, the "freeze state" on the Gen Plus often crashes the game.

I use a 1.67 GHz PowerBook G4 laptop with 1.5GB DDR2 SDRAM and i'm on Mac OS X 10.4.9

i guess my advice is if you're on a Mac, use the SNES version (Mack's Hacks does have an SNES version, but it's 06 i think).

I sure wish Mack would hack me out an SNES NHL08.

• 10 months later...
  • 11 months later...
Hey I am having probs with the playoffs as well ( on a mac with the gens rom for nhl 94 and nhl 94 with 2010 rosters). It resets to ducks vs ducks demo after the first game. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thank you!

You don't need to post this three times in different places. Once is fine. If someone knows the answer...they'll help you.

• 3 months later...

did anybody ever work out how to fix this? i am on a mac and also using gens plus and after the first playoff game the "continue playoff" option defaults to ducks v ducks. i am not using a hacked rom so i dont think that is what caused the other guys' issues.

i have a windows partition on my macbook that i can use if i need to but i dont really want to have to reboot into windows and back into osx whenever i want to play/stop playing the game. any help or suggestions anyone can give would be great.

also, the "user records" option on the main menu is not selectable in my emulator. is this a problem unique to mac emulation or does it also not work on windows emulators?

this has already been answered [edit: in this thread]. it's because there is no battery in the ROM. you are stuck with it. play SNES, instead.

Edited by smozoma
This is not the reason for the problem, but this issue still has not been solved. crossed out to avoid confusion.

this has already been answered. it's because there is no battery in the ROM. you are stuck with it. play SNES, instead.

im obviously new so how am i to know that its already been answered? i also note that your answer isnt complete. is the lack of rom battery an issue exclusive to mac emulation or to genesis emulation as a whole i.e. can user data be saved when playing a rom of the game in windows?

also, i have downloaded another mac emulator called generator and tested the game on that. it exhibits almost, but not quite, exactly the same behaviour. the only difference is that when returning to the main menu having won the first play off game, the team names listed are the correct team names however it still shows two ducks logos at the top of the screen and if you go ahead to play the game it is ducks v ducks.

as far as i can tell both genesis plus and generator are mac ports of the windows emulator gens. seems weird that two separate ports of the same emulator would exhibit the same issues. there is another mac emulator called dgen but i havent been able to find a working download after a brief search so idk if the same issue is present in that. it would be interesting to find out if it is.

I'll try to be more clear. the Genesis game had a battery in it that the SNES game did not. no emulator is likely to correctly mimic that feature, regardless of what computer you use. when it comes time to load saved data that would be found on the batteried chip, the data isn't there. it won't work. now, later, PC, Mac, emulator1, emulator2. try SNES, it's password-based, instead.

Edited by smozoma
This is not the reason for the problem, but this issue still has not been solved. crossed out to avoid confusion.

I'll try to be more clear. the Genesis game had a battery in it that the SNES game did not. no emulator is likely to correctly mimic that feature, regardless of what computer you use. when it comes time to load saved data that would be found on the batteried chip, the data isn't there. it won't work. now, later, PC, Mac, emulator1, emulator2. try SNES, it's password-based, instead.

The Windows emulators handle the backup fine, with a ".srm" file mimicking the battery backup memory.

You should be able to run the Windows emulators using darwine or winebottler on mac.

Or, if you have a Windows CD, you can create and run a virtual machine, in order to install and run Windows inside OSX. http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

im not sure what your problem is. you seem to be personally offended that i dont know as much as you about genesis emulation. thanks for the information nonetheless.

I clearly don't know what I'm typing about, either (as evidenced by the post stating the exact opposite of what I was saying). and you are inferring a problem in the absence of one. I thought I knew the answer, but maybe I do not...

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Fixed this!

You have to play with the KEGA FUSION emulator on a Mac. It's the only one that supports the memory function.

S.

Does "Generator" not work, either? "Genesis Plus" definitely doesn't.

Thanks for verifying Kega works, i'll post that in the emulator thread.