NHL'94 Forums

NHL 94 to be included in PS2 NHL 06

mack

Ya, NHL 94 is on NHL 06 ONLY for the PS2 not the Xbox.  If you go to the PS2 review of NHL 06 I don't really care for what he says about NHL 94, what a moron.

Huh, do you mean in the "Hands on" section where he says "It's hard to think that, at one point, we thought games like this looked incredibly good."

Not much of a criticism IMO..... I still love retro games more than modern day games, but you have to remember modern day gaming is all about eye candy not gameplay... well, thats at most developers seem to think with the games they are currently producing.

Mack, this is a great find. This is a step in the right direction. The guy in the video mentioned that he added this because it was the number one request from going on forums and such.

Just the fact they've added this into the game is huge. Someone's listening to us.

-Evan

I know they wont do this...but why oh why can't they just "update" the game a little.

-Current Teams

-Current Rosters

-Trade and creat players

Those three things would be awesome.

Unfortunety it'll be just the opposite Im sure (ie. we wont have names of players...just their numbers and attributes.)

::sigh::

Oh well atleast this is a step in the right direction.

It is a huge step in the right direction. I just fear that they'll figure that this is the end of it. That instead of enhancing it next year with player editor & trades they'll essentially say "Allright, we gave you 94 again in 06, so in 07 we'll just have the regular game & if you want to play 94, just buy last year's game."

This news is as good as the new deal between the nhl and nhlpa! Why? Because it proves that nhl'94 is not dead in the corporations'eyes!!!! Maybe some day we'll be able to buy the copyright from EA or Michael Jackson if he gets the rights, and then it will be re-born as the best video ever and all the stuff we all want to do will be made available. You know- editing updating rosters; white ice blue goals whatever we want! HOORAY FOR US_ THE FANS WIN THIS ROUND!!

I watched the video and I wonder what kind of updated they might have done as they didn't go into the game, Ive since then been looking for more info on what 'updates' may have been entered into nhl 94 on the game. I love the fact that they based it on the Sega Genesis version of the game, the only reason I would pick up this game for the PS2 is for NHL 94 (duh)

-ah, remember that the PS2 version is the only version I think that will have NHL 94 on it.

• 2 months later...
I watched the video and I wonder what kind of updated they might have done as they didn't go into the game, Ive since then been looking for more info on what 'updates' may have been entered into nhl 94 on the game.  I love the fact that they based it on the Sega Genesis version of the game, the only reason I would pick up this game for the PS2 is for NHL 94 (duh)

-ah, remember that the PS2 version is the only version I think that will have NHL 94 on it.

NHL 94 is the best game ever! I currently have the NHL06 in my hands, but I am at school today for a while longer so I wont be able to judge the game till I play it later on tonight. Once I put the game in I doubt ill hop online to post a comment about it but Im sure you will all be playing NHL94 on PS2 also haha..... rock it! - Sifty

• 1 month later...
The nhl 94 version of NHL 06 is C-R-A-P.

Why is it crap?

I need to know because I was going to buy this game just to get the NHL94 version...

Is the speed different? Glitchy?

If it played the same as the Sega version I would gladly buy it to avoid having to use my old Sega...

Thanks,

aqua

Why is it crap?

I need to know because I was going to buy this game just to get the NHL94 version...

Is the speed different? Glitchy?

If it played the same as the Sega version I would gladly buy it to avoid having to use my old Sega...

Thanks,

aqua

I didn't find it crap at all.. it played perfectly smooth.

at least in the Europeal PAL version. Cannot say much about the USA NTSC version though because I haven't played it.

I didn't find it crap at all.. it played perfectly smooth.

at least in the Europeal PAL version. Cannot say much about the USA NTSC version though because I haven't played it.

How similar is it to the REAL Genesis version?

They had to have made an "emulator" built in to play on a PS2, and for all I know it is emulating the far inferior Nintendo version?

Furthermore, no emulation is 100% the same; not possible.

Would you say, swos, it plays just like the Sega version? As in, I can finally put away my taped-together Sega and half-working sega gamepads and play "the same game" on my pristine PS2?

Thanks so much for the responses! This could save me some $$ and disappointment!

Thanks,

aqua

Furthermore, no emulation is 100% the same; not possible.

Uh, the point of emulation is that it's 100% the same game, cuz you're using the same game code as the cartridge. Now, the EA version may or may not be emulated, but we're definitely playing it emulated over at www.nhl94online.com and www.nhlgamer.com.

Now, you might mean that it's not the same controllers (though there exist USB converters for modern gamepads, including, I believe, the Genesis), or that the Genesis emulators aren't 100% perfect (but I can't find anything wrong with Gens), but you're starting to nitpick at that point, which you may not have reached.

So in conclusion, I'm 12-2 in games against the Western Conference in the North American NHL '94 league, and everyone else in my conference is getting pummeled by the West, so I must rule.

swos owns me.

Thanks for the response, Tickenest. We can debate emulation in this thread:

http://www.nhl94.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185

But I don't want to get off track here. :)

I am hoping this thread can give me the answers I have asked about how similar is this PS2 version compared to the real Sega NHL94? If it is bang on I will gladly part with the cash!

Thanks,

aqua

The only information I can add about the PS2 game since I haven't played it yet is that it has fake teams, players, ratings etc. They don't have the rights to the old players and teams so they just replaced all the names with fake ones.

-Evan

The controls are way off. It's way harder to one-time and pull off the deke. (You know, The Deke), and the sound is way glitchy.

In 94, after a goal, the music usually plays, and finishes through the start of the next faceoff. IN the updated one, the music stops abruptly when the puck is dropped.

The fake player thing is the kicker. The stats are all the same. The center for Chicago is just as dominant, but it's a different name.

If I ever want to play NHL94 again, I'd be better off hooking up the Sega and playing it.

Yeah, they kinda came up short when they put NHL 94 into ONLY the PS2 version and none of the others and didn't make it online capable. I think they were trying to make up for putting out crappy hockey games in the past but what they could have done is made a new kinda NHL 94 on it with new rosters and all that.

Another way to play 94 on your PS2 is to use this device: I don't have it but I hear good things

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/245195.asp

Another way to play 94 on your PS2 is to use this device: I don't have it but I hear good things

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/245195.asp

The emulator on the AR Max is simply PGEN (http://www.gamebase.ca/pgen/) with a different backlground graphic. It doesn't play NHL94 at 100% speed, though 91 & 92 do, and 93 might (haven't checked).

I bought this product about a month ago but haven't spent a minute with it yet due to my schedule. I bought if for codes and that crap because of little free time I can beat some games easier or unlock more stuff quicker. I had no idea it had the genesis emulator till I read the manual.