NHL'94 Forums

the pallettes.....the pallettes...

hey guys. Love this website, one of the best things on the internet i have ever found. I found those ncaa

roms on another site and was so happy to finally be able to play as north dakota and crush those heathens from minnesota. Of course that led me here where i decided "hey i should make my own game! look at all these rom! How hard could this be?" if only i knew.

I am in the process of making a rom for the central hockey league. can you believe that is doesn't already

exist? I mean the epic new mexico scorpions vs. odessa jackalopes rivalry is second only to montreal vs. toronto in most hockey lovers' hearts. actually the only way i will ever get to play as the scorps is if i do this myself.

so i loaded up on all the software and got the 30 team rom. i have looked at everything about editing the game on this site, compiled a lenghty list of offsets, and spent hours and hours playing around with tlp and tm. i used nose to change the names and some of the rosters. i also used hex workshop to remove the unnecessary teams from the main menu. so far so good. i am feeling pretty good about the whole project. then i decided to try my hand at graphics.

i got an image from the corpus christi rays and dumped it into the game using tlp.

chlnew003.jpg

now i am feeling pumped. i am kicking this game's butt! i need red, white, and blue so let me just go ahead and change the colors real quick....

i know that the uniform colors and ice logo colors are linked together so why not all the team graphics? so went into nose and made all the home colors for calgary blue. all of them. got this:

pallettetest000.jpg

wtf? not only is there no blue there are still 16 different colors! but in the pregame menu they are the same:

pallettetest001.jpg

but as you can see it certainly changed the jerseys!

pallettetest002.jpg

did some more research and found out about loading pallettes in tm. "ah" i say "that is too easy. now i get it." of course no, i don't get it. i can load the pallette and the logo will look exactly how i want it. but when i play the actual game the colors revert. i played around with nose and tm and tlp until i couldn't see straight but to no avail.

so that is my sob story. i am learning but i think i am at the stage where i know enough to know that i don't know anything. i have much more respect for all you guys who mod this game. now i know how much time and commitmment it takes. and people like wboy who has enough knowledge to write a program like nose: i stand in awe.

so i stand here, hat in hand, with a list of questions. if these are answered somewhere else i apologize. i searched many times and either this info doesn't exist or i am retarded or my brain was so fried off of juggling tm, tlp, and nose that it ceased to function.

saving palletes in tm. why can't i get this? i feel i am missing something amazingly simple here. if i load a pallete and change an image how do i save that pallete? i see posts on this forum talking about it like it is so easy. this one is my number one source of frustration. it is making me feel real dumb.

also what is the best way to import images into the game? i used tlp as oultined in the editing section of this site. i noticed that tm has an option to "paste from" which means you can add an image way easier. unfortunatly when i do this the image just "floats on top" and doesn't attach itself to the tiles underneath.

any help would be appreciated.

Don't give up hope just yet... you've just caught out on the complexities of the menu logos and banner... which is a little tricker than the in-game/rink equivalents... other than that you are progressing really well considering this is only your first post!

First of, go here, read its purpose and download the zip file. Unzip, and first look at 00. [...].png, to see what menu options etc are used in TM. For the logo's and banners you are wishing to edit, see 14 & 15. The Home strip colors are not used by the menu logo's, only the home team rink logos (see 16 & 17 for those).

Also, head to my site and download the player card tutorial if you haven't already. It can basically be applied to editing any of the graphics in the game, except for the fact you need use the 4BPP gfx codec and the appropriate offsets for palettes. It also briefly explains who to commit a loaded image (Paste from) in TM (hit ESC or click outside of the loaded rom's windows).

sweet. this looks real promising. appreciate the help. i'll keep you guys updated on how this goes. now how do i add the pathetically realistic part where the drunk new mexicans who don't know anything about hockey pick fights with the players as they walk to and from the ice? is that option in nose yet?