NHL'94 Forums

NOSE feature request thread

smozoma

Ability to 'trade' players between teams.

A simplified way to implement this could be to 1) insert a new player on the target team with source player's attributes and 2) delete the source player from the source team. So there would be some kind of "move this player to team" option somewhere.

a current workaround is to run a 2nd instance of NOSE, and copy/paste players from one instance to the other.

More detail: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showtopic=1698

Ability to get rid of the splash screen faster

(it's so annoying to see EVERY time you run NOSE, because you can't do anything for ~5 seconds!)

Ability to dismiss a player edit dialog by hitting the Escape key

NOSE has great keyboard shortcuts and the way it usually automatically redirects focus to the next place you want to edit is amazing, but the lack of this one bugs me.

I don't know how difficult this is to implement in VB but is there any chance of adding a player card previewer, if the hex address of Steve Yzerman picture was typed in, then the program could use TM or TLP to decrypt the picture! Also changing colours of teams on the start up section, so for example in my current ROM that I am making, I have the Alberta Oilers but when I go to select them, they have Anahiem colors, if NOSE had a way of changing the colors with ease that would be great!

Anyway thats my recommendations!

I'd love to see NOSE somehow make graphic works (player cards, banner colors, team logos, etc.) very easy for ANYBODY to edit. It would certainly eliminate the need for everybody to ask Wboy or anybody else how to edit roms to their liking.

However, I'm not going to hold my breath and expect Wboy to figure out how to make that possible. I mean, I might as well be asking any random person on the street to tell me how to cure cancer or AIDS!

That's the thing about technology: we always ask for more than we can actually get!

Ability to get rid of the splash screen faster

(it's so annoying to see EVERY time you run NOSE, because you can't do anything for ~5 seconds!)

if you click on it after two seconds, it'll go away.

if you rename or delete about.png, it won't show!

if you click on it after two seconds, it'll go away.

if you rename or delete about.png, it won't show!

cool, thanks.

the 2 seconds feels like 5 sometimes, i guess, when you're in a hurry :D

Ability to dismiss a player edit dialog by hitting the Escape key

NOSE has great keyboard shortcuts and the way it usually automatically redirects focus to the next place you want to edit is amazing, but the lack of this one bugs me.

Use Ctrl+Enter to OK (and commit changes... Alt+O also works). Therefore Enter to open the dialog, Ctrl+Enter to close it.

Alt+C to Cancel (and close).

As ESC (and Shift+ESC) is tied to undoing uncommitted values within the edit screens, I didn't want to use it to escape out of the window... as logical as it seems. If you tried to escape the edit window with other attribute values uncommitted, I would have to prompt .. do you with to cancel the changes? Not as friendly as it is now... trust me... I spent heaps of time on the flow of the user interface and I'm a hotkey junkie user myself in most apps I use.

the tooltip text on most button/icons display the hotkeys associated.

Also, with Auto Next on Apply on, Alt+A will commit and changes (if made) and then automatically go to the next item (player etc). Nice way of cycling through without closing and reopening the edit dialogs.

I don't know how difficult this is to implement in VB but is there any chance of adding a player card previewer, if the hex address of Steve Yzerman picture was typed in, then the program could use TM or TLP to decrypt the picture! Also changing colours of teams on the start up section, so for example in my current ROM that I am making, I have the Alberta Oilers but when I go to select them, they have Anahiem colors, if NOSE had a way of changing the colors with ease that would be great!

Anyway thats my recommendations!

I've actually implemented all the bit shifting (which VB does not natively support) to convert the 3 BPP bytes in the the 4 BPP equiavlent... just never got around to representing the graphic within a player card window within NOSE. D'oh.... was hoping to get that into a 1.3, when and if that ever happens...

Generic color palette editor (for any palette in game) has been seriously considered (as even I could of used it in the editing days), again, never got around to it.

I'd love to see NOSE somehow make graphic works (player cards, banner colors, team logos, etc.) very easy for ANYBODY to edit. It would certainly eliminate the need for everybody to ask Wboy or anybody else how to edit roms to their liking.

However, I'm not going to hold my breath and expect Wboy to figure out how to make that possible. I mean, I might as well be asking any random person on the street to tell me how to cure cancer or AIDS!

That's the thing about technology: we always ask for more than we can actually get!

It was less work (believe it or not) to make the 30 team rom for 94.. and then use it with Tile Molester ™ to make editing graphic easier for all.

TM is really not that complex!!! Without TM existing, I would consider doing it, though as it exists, my investment in time is not worth the return I feel... sorry...

In all seriousness how hard would it be to also let NOSE edit snes? like a plug in or something?

as it has been programmed initially, not so easy... but yes, if I had my time over I would of programmed it better to potentially allow of an easier implementation of SNES support.

That said, it would only support very basic roster editing. Not sure I could offer the same level of editing as for the genesis versions... and I wont be investing the time to learn how... its too time consuming... and I'm barely find time at the moment to finish the 30 team rom for 93 which is a walk in the park in comparison.

as it has been programmed initially, not so easy... but yes, if I had my time over I would of programmed it better to potentially allow of an easier implementation of SNES support.

That said, it would only support very basic roster editing. Not sure I could offer the same level of editing as for the genesis versions... and I wont be investing the time to learn how... its too time consuming... and I'm barely find time at the moment to finish the 30 team rom for 93 which is a walk in the park in comparison.

Hey,

I've got a lot of SNES stuff 'figured out' - all the team palettes, uniforms, rosters, and playoff matchups are easy and there are bytes for overtime and such floating around. Is importing the hex data for GENS the same as SNES? IE, if you sent over the file read/write function, would it work the same for GENS as it would for SNES? I'm assuming you probably import the data from the game into the program during some point during the process, and I know the offsets would be different. I am willing to get a SNES editor going but don't know where to start reading in binary files into VB6 (I've only ever used csv or custom hacks for importing data).

Ability to edit team Rating and PP, PK, Home, and Away advantage/disadvantage

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showtopic=1634

and that suspected offense/defense set.

--

thanks for the shortcut key explanation above (Ctrl+Esc, etc)

Any thought of releasing the source, but maintaining the master version of NOSE (kinda like Linus Torvalds does with the Linux kernel).

So, people could edit it, but they would need to send you their changes, and you could decide if you wanted to put their changes in the official version.

I know it's really tough to find time for this stuff, though..

Hey,

I've got a lot of SNES stuff 'figured out' - all the team palettes, uniforms, rosters, and playoff matchups are easy and there are bytes for overtime and such floating around. Is importing the hex data for GENS the same as SNES? IE, if you sent over the file read/write function, would it work the same for GENS as it would for SNES? I'm assuming you probably import the data from the game into the program during some point during the process, and I know the offsets would be different. I am willing to get a SNES editor going but don't know where to start reading in binary files into VB6 (I've only ever used csv or custom hacks for importing data).

Don't think I haven't looked and considered adding support, but while the structures are near identifical, the data is written in a little different... and as I didn't program it initially to be modular enough to support this, implementing it would be more work than I cared to give for SNES support..... sorry.

As for binary files in VB, its basically not too different to open files for TEXT (like CSV) just:

Dim intFileNo As Integer

Dim btyLoadFile() As Byte

intFileNo = FreeFile

Open strFileName For Binary As #intFileNo

lngFileSize = LOF(intFileNo)

ReDim btyLoadFile(0 To (lngFileSize - 1))

Get #intFileNo, , btyLoadFile()

Close #intFileNo

from then on, changing bytes is done like:

btyLoadFile(lngOffset) = lngHexDecimalValue

Saving is:

intFileNo = FreeFile

Dim strSaveAsFilename as String

strSaveAsFilename = "C:\test.bin"

Open strSaveAsFilename For Binary As #intFileNo

Put #intFileNo, , btyLoadFile

Close #intFileNo

Use sites like pscode.com and others found on google to find good example code that can be applied to what you are trying to achieve... that's how I built a good part of NOSE!

Any thought of releasing the source, but maintaining the master version of NOSE (kinda like Linus Torvalds does with the Linux kernel).

So, people could edit it, but they would need to send you their changes, and you could decide if you wanted to put their changes in the official version.

I know it's really tough to find time for this stuff, though..

If a team of eager/part time coders from this site would be interesting in teaming up and try taking NOSE further, I would seriously consider handing my baby over to the community... as I know I don't have the time to take it much further....

The code is not too shabby, but definitely no "showcase of programming methodologies" thus no pure "open-source".... thats not to say with a few improvements it could get there, and then allow it to be opened up to most of EA's genesis games as most of it is quite similar from what I've seen.

I've actually implemented all the bit shifting (which VB does not natively support) to convert the 3 BPP bytes in the the 4 BPP equiavlent... just never got around to representing the graphic within a player card window within NOSE. D'oh.... was hoping to get that into a 1.3, when and if that ever happens...

Generic color palette editor (for any palette in game) has been seriously considered (as even I could of used it in the editing days), again, never got around to it.

Oh right!! Well I hope 1.3 happens!

I just wish I could be of assistance but I don't know VB very well, I am more of a Java man myself!

I wish there was a way to edit the numbers of each teams players quickly, in the TEAMS menu (and GOALIES) as well.

Like, instead of going in and individually changing each players stats, I would like to be able to copy and paste them.

Basically, I would like the NOSE PLAYERS and GOALIES menus to act like an Excel spreadsheet.

I wish there was a way to edit the numbers of each teams players quickly, in the TEAMS menu (and GOALIES) as well.

Like, instead of going in and individually changing each players stats, I would like to be able to copy and paste them.

Basically, I would like the NOSE PLAYERS and GOALIES menus to act like an Excel spreadsheet.

You can use this tool to do that.

NHL_Hockey_Roster_Tool.zip

Use 'export ROM to CSV' to create a CSV file (comma separated value spreadsheet)

change the values you want to change

use 'import CSV to ROM' to create a duplicate of the original ROM, but with the new player attributes

note: you can't change player names, teams, positions, or the order of players with this tool. you can only change player attributes (number, speed, etc)

Dervin made it.