NHL'94 Forums

Rookie Salaries

The salaries of the rookies are awful, I think they need to be restructured

I can understand your opinion however the top 7 players in the draft become very good players in a couple of years. Then there is the simple problem that this draft is very limited in talent. I want to establish a template with the rookie salaries. i dont want rookie salaries to be based on the rating the 1 st year of there contracts.

A clear example of a guy who was paid over 5 million last year and barely played was alex kovalev becuse he become a hell of a player. i know he wasnt drafted but its the same principal. i respect your opinion but the salaries are based on logic and development of a player. youcan get a player who will be a 85 overall in a year for 2 million if you are drafting #2. the top ten you will have to pay sorry. you may always draft someone and trade him or cut him.

I can understand your opinion however the top 7 players in the draft become very good players in a couple of years. Then there is the simple problem that this draft is very limited in talent. I want to establish a template with the rookie salaries. i dont want rookie salaries to be based on the rating the 1 st year of there contracts.

A clear example of a guy who was paid over 5 million last year and barely played was alex kovalev becuse he become a hell of a player. i know he wasnt drafted but its the same principal. i respect your opinion but the salaries are based on logic and development of a player. youcan get a player who will be a 85 overall in a year for 2 million if you are drafting #2. the top ten you will have to pay sorry. you may always draft someone and trade him or cut him.

what about giving them more typical "entry level" rookie contracts? - maybe make them lower cost, but also just 2 years.

Maybe we should stagger the salaries if they're going to be 3 year contracts. First year 1 mill, 2nd year 2 mill and 3rd year 3 mill etc (use any starting dollar amount).

This way you're not getting hammered the first year when 99% of the players won't even be used.

I'd even be up for doing away with this part of the draft and putting the rooks into the pool of players to be bid on.