NHL'94 Forums

Gens Editing the Game - Thread Guide [Newbs Start Here]

smozoma

This post contains links to the various other posts in the "Editing the Game" that contain actual information about editing the Genesis version of NHL 94.

If you want to learn how to hack, there is an excellent tutorial post by TonyH at the end of this list.

NHL94.com Various Guides - (out of date.. but worth looking at for ideas)

Editing Programs

NOSE (NHL Old-School Editor) - wboy's ROM editing tool can change rosters, lines, team names, etc, and colours of some things (ice colour, for example)
EARE (EA ROM Editor) - smozoma's ROM editing tool that can do a few things that NOSE can't (created because NOSE hasn't been updated in a long time)
HxD - a free hex editor

Base ROMs to use (don't use nhl94.bin):

Genesis 30-team base ROM - (Mar 20, 2023) - INDIO

Game Options and Team/Player Attributes:

playoff matchups- (May 21 2005) - wboy
Number of forwards and defense on a team - (May 29 2005) - wboy
Team Order in startup menu - (May 30 2005) - McRae, wboy
main menu default values (teams, period length, etc) - (May 31 2005) - wboy
Team Overall Ratings - (Apr 20 2006) - wboy, smozoma (more by Evan)
Team Home/Away/PP/PK (dis)advantages - (May 28 2006) - soccer1, wboy
- a bit more about team attributes - home/away/PP/PK (dis)advantages - (May 5 2007) - wboy
- and even more about home/away/pp/pk - (Oct 7, 2008) - metzgerism
show 30 (or fewer) teams in game select screen - (Jan 14 2007) - wboy
How to Edit the Player Overall Rating Formula - (April 16, 2009) - smozoma
How to Change Team Selection Order - (March 1, 2012) - smozoma
How to allow all players for every position (F play D, D play F..) - (Jan 25 2013) - TheTome

Game Behaviour and Bug Fixes:

Interesting AI behaviour hacks (really need more exploring!) - (Jul 13 2005) - McRae
Reading controller inputs - (Feb 21 2007) - Scribe99 - trying to make "A" button on defense select goalie
player energy (line changes fatigue/recovery rates) - (May 19 2007) - wboy
speed boost (C button) - (May 19 2007) - wboy
stopping and turning rates - (May 19 2007) - wboy
fewer players on the ice (1on1 roms etc) - (Oct 22, 2007) - clockwise
Weight Bug Fix - (Jul 19 2008) - smozoma
Missing Second Assist Bug Fix - (Sept 19 2008) - smozoma
Disable or lengthen the Goalie play stoppage whistle - (Feb 6 2010) - clockwise, smozoma
Let the goalie roam farther with and without the puck - (Feb 7 2010) - smozoma
Prevent game from crashing when Editing Lines in 2-on-2 ROMs - (Mar 19 2010) - smozoma
Make the edit lines ratings match the actual on-ice ratings - (July 19 2010) - smozoma
Fix the C-B check bug that made it possible to check anyone - (July 6 2014) - smozoma
Real-Time Clock - (Jan 11, 2017) - Brodeur30

Graphics:

Edit Player Sprites - Nov 1 2005 - wboy
Player Card Tutorial - (Nov 25 2005) - wboy - (direct ZIP file download)
Tile Molester graphics offset bookmarks - (Nov 25 2005) - wboy
Add another centre ice logo - (Mar 11 2006) - wboy
Make Gretzky's head bleed - (Aug 8 2006) - BurnXTC
Tile Molester graphics offsets reference - (Jan 21 2007) - wboy
Edit the Scoreboard (switch home/away) - (Jan 27 2007) - wboy
Edit Ron Barr text - (Apr 27 2007) - mack
Stick Tape Patch - (May 30 2007) - clockwise - also some info about no helmets!
NHL94 Rink Tile Layout reference - (Feb 9 2009) - wboy
Modern rink style (new faceoff dots, trapezoid behind net..) + stick tape patch - (Apr 30 2008) - clockwise
Altering The Net Tiles And Palette (proper red goal posts + team coloured puck dots) - (Mar 29 2010) - clockwise
Add Sponsor Logo to Scoreboard & 3 Stars (Pro Set from NHLPA'93) - (Dec 30 2016) - kingraph

Audio and Music:
Change and View NHL '94 Sound Effects and Music - (Jan 7 2010) - swos

Game Genie codes:
By TonyH
http://forum.nhl94.c...?showtopic=3428
http://www.angelfire...games2/codehut/

Learn How to Hack:

TonyH's NHL94 ROM Hacking School - (May 29 2007) - TonyH
Another "Hacking School" thread, but by smozoma

General Hacking Info:
Kaneda's site - very knowledgeable Genesis hacker (also creator of the goalie button hack)
SpritesMind forums - Kaneda's forum..
"Awesome Megadrive" - References, Tools, etc lists
IDA Pro tutorials (not Genesis-specific)

Assembly Code Manuals
Google "68000 manual" results (www.freescale.com result is the official manual)
Google "68000 tutorial" results

• Thanks 2

Open in NOSE - Select Rom from the headings at top - apply hack - free bytes - then try both available options.

I know they work for 92 if that's what you're looking for.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Noticed how the roster updated roms have different fonts as well. Anyone like to volunteer to throw a quick tutorial together on that? Much appreciated

I think the fonts are just graphics, so if you can find the font graphics in the ROM in tilemolester, you can just edit them there. I don't know where they are, though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I have an interest for a Rom with more than 30 team, why is 30 the limit ?

Can someone explain me please

That's how wboy made it.

It's a complicated process moving all the data around to enable extra teams, and linking up the additional graphics and palettes. Only wboy knows how to do it, and he may have settled on 30 teams (actually I think there are 32 teams with the all star teams) due to some limitation.

Similarly, when I made the SNES NHLPA'93 64-team ROM, it would have been easier to just do 32 due to a graphical limitation (the video memory can only hold 32 full team banners at once), but I did some wacky stuff to get around the limitation (broke the banners up and made it re-use parts of the banners multiple times).

still planning a SNES NHL '94 30-team ROM?

within reason, how do I motivate you? I'd be willing to help with the tedious parts.

I don't think anyone can provide the motivation. My motivation is for the community in general, that we'd have a SNES ROM that could be edited to get current rosters and logos. This could bring more people into the SNES community, which would start up leagues, and whatnot...

so... do it.

well, does it hurt? I'm serious in offering my limited skillset for assistance. the league isn't likely to go back to less than thirty teams any time soon.

• 4 months later...

is it possible to make a version of 94 with no goalie limits? no time restrictions & no crease restrictions? i wanna drive down ice with my goalie while running people over :)

refer to the links above and follow these ones:

Disable or lengthen the Goalie play stoppage whistle - (Feb 6 2010) - clockwise, smozoma

-- use the disable method

Let the goalie roam farther with and without the puck - (Feb 7 2010) - smozoma

-- I added another case in the post showing how to let the goalies go anywhere

Does the wandering goalie ROM already exist somewhere?

nope

I should make a 'how to use these hacks' guide, showing how to use a hex editor... although it's pretty simple if you give it a try (open the file, go to the location, change the value, save!)

i tried useing the hex editor last night, i failed. rom wouldnt start after i saved. def did something wrong, probably wasnt changing what i was supposed to be changing. maybe i'll mess with it more tn.

If you use the original NHL94, it won't work because there is some code that detects if you modify the ROM (using a 'checksum'). But if you use any other ROM, it'll be fine because they'll have :)

Or, you can manually kill the checksum in the original ROM using this technique:

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/109-rom-hacking-ea-genesis-games/page__view__findpost__p__89392

OFFSET: 0300
OLD VALUE: 4EB9 000F FAC0
NEW VALUE: 4E71 4E71 4E71

holy s**t i did it! thx smozoma!!!!! its waaayyyyy more fun than i thought it'd be! i'll post it later fur sure :D

couple notes:

goalies can take each other out but they BOTH fall down and they look like regular laid out skaters till they get back up, its pretty funny.

i can only take the goalie out of the crease if the goalie is in view :( any way to change that? i need moar goalie!

Edited by JayLighter420

holy s**t i did it! thx smozoma!!!!! its waaayyyyy more fun than i thought it'd be! i'll post it later fur sure :D

couple notes:

goalies can take each other out but they BOTH fall down and they look like regular laid out skaters till they get back up, its pretty funny.

i can only take the goalie out of the crease if the goalie is in view :( any way to change that? i need moar goalie!

Haha, that's awesome. I never thought of what might happen if they ran into each other...

I've noticed that, you can't really do anything with the goalie control if he's not on screen.. I have a rough idea of how disabling that would be done, but I don't know if I'll ever do any more hacks to be honest.. time/motivation just isn't there.