NHL'94 Forums

Time for more NHL teams in Canada?

halifax

The league needs to contract before it expands.

ftfa:

"I think it would be a huge error not to relocate one of the existing franchises to Hamilton or Winnipeg," [NHLPA executive director Paul] Kelly said.

ftfa:

"I think it would be a huge error not to relocate one of the existing franchises to Hamilton or Winnipeg," [NHLPA executive director Paul] Kelly said.

Sigh... It's a lot of fun to buy $20 Coyotes seats in the last row of the arena only to march down to one of the empty end zones and sit in the first row and pound on the glass... I don't want to stop doing that! ;)

Alberta is filthy rich in oil...and they really want more poeple to live there....maybe they should invest in an NHL team and put themselves on the map.

You mean like the Edmonton, AB Oilers and Calgary, AB Flames?

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooopssss

Confused alberta with manitoba. my bad yet again!

Geeez... between this and my luc robitaille screw up...

ill take Halifax's advice and not talk NHL for a while

It's true, the Canadians just have so much more love for the game than Americans. It's sad, but true. I have been to high school football games in my hometown that have had a better turn out than the Fresno Falcons ECHL games. I would also like to see more Canadian Franchises in the league, like Winnipeg or even bring a team back to Quebec City. Also, without ESPN broadcasting NHL games anymore I don't think as many American Viewers are tuning into Versus as there were when ESPN was showing the games. Also, I don't think the NHL will ever gain the love and support of the NFL, NBA, or MLB in the US.

There is one good thing though that some of these American Expansion Teams have done. American Franchises have brought the game and have helped it to grow in areas where hockey never existed, such as LA, Florida, Nashville, Carolina, San Jose, etc. If it weren't for the LA Kings promoting hockey in Southern California, we probably wouldn't be seeing the LA Selects and California Wave bringing home so many youth hockey national titles. And growing up and playing hockey in Northern California (I'm sure Metz could testify as well) the Sharks have done A LOT for the game in Nor Cal. The San Jose Sharks own a Four Sheet facility in San Jose and another facility up the road in Fremont, CA and there is talk that they are planning to build another rink (a 3 sheet facility) in the Pleasington/Dublin area. Since my days of youth hockey I have seen the San Jose youth club grow from 10 teams (Mites-Midgets) to about 22 teams in a 10 year time frame, and that's just the travel club in San Jose without taking all the other clubs into consideration.

But hey, random fact: 200th Post!!!

Alberta is filthy rich in oil...and they really want more poeple to live there....maybe they should invest in an NFL team and put themselves on the map.

I like winnipeg too. bring back the jets!

Fixed.