NHL'94 Forums

Even Teams...in Classic?

metzgerism

I had an intriguing idea for Classic '94 League.

Four-game series:

Home as your team.

Home as your opponent's team.

Away as your team.

Away as your opponent's team.

You play half of your games as your own team, and half against - you are VERY MUCH aligned with your team, and knowledge of strengths and weaknesses will benefit you two-fold.

Instead of playing as just one team, you must adapt. Knowledge of the entire game is rewarded.

Instead of always being better or worse than one coach (based on player stats), you will simply be playing at a different player-stat level. While not every team is even, every series (and thus your season) will be even.

It's like playing chess as both black and white, instead of just one game.

We could apply smomoza's weight-bug fix too :)

Mega classic indeed!

I remember energymike had a neat idea that I read a while back. Having a league where you use the original classic rom and can use any team at any time but not more than once in the regular season...and then again not more than once in the playoffs. So a maximum of 26 regular season games and 3 rounds of playoffs. Then it becomes a strategy of what teams you want to use against certain coaches...ie saving the higher ranked teams for the coaches that give you the tougher challenge and using the weaker teams against the coaches that don't.

The SUPER MEGA AWESOMENESS CLASSIC league....or SMAC league for short.....or DMAC league if you had a typo.

Ohhh!!! i like the sounds of this one, that means i can make everyone use Ottawa.

You will all fall under the mastery of Jamie Baker and Bob Kudelski...they need an emoticon with an evil laugh, i mean seriously, thatd be perfect here.

And once i get my double hat trick with Kudelski, ill bring in Neil Brady to for mop up duty.

Mega classic indeed!

I remember energymike had a neat idea that I read a while back. Having a league where you use the original classic rom and can use any team at any time but not more than once in the regular season...and then again not more than once in the playoffs. So a maximum of 26 regular season games and 3 rounds of playoffs. Then it becomes a strategy of what teams you want to use against certain coaches...ie saving the higher ranked teams for the coaches that give you the tougher challenge and using the weaker teams against the coaches that don't.

The SUPER MEGA AWESOMENESS CLASSIC league....or SMAC league for short.....or DMAC league if you had a typo.

That's an interesting idea - although for the sheer number of games I'd expect in a serious classic league, I'd say no more than twice (and no more than once vs. the same opponent) - of course, the last league was only 28-30 games.

i pinpointed something about my original idea - it's like a draft league without the draft.

I don't know if energymike's idea would fly so well, just because it's a little complicated to actually enforce - you'd have to go through the schedule and pinpoint where and when a player used a certain team, and it'd take a bit of doing. If someone made a mistake, then they'd probably be screwed out of a few points without anyone realizing it until the admin tallied it up right. Either a massive database would have to get crafted, or...who knows. It's strategic and interesting, that's for sure, but I'm not sure that it's a great way to do a large league like classic.

Maybe we could playtest both concepts - it wouldn't be that hard to get 14 players for a short league.

I don't know if energymike's idea would fly so well, just because it's a little complicated to actually enforce - you'd have to go through the schedule and pinpoint where and when a player used a certain team, and it'd take a bit of doing. If someone made a mistake, then they'd probably be screwed out of a few points without anyone realizing it until the admin tallied it up right. Either a massive database would have to get crafted, or...who knows. It's strategic and interesting, that's for sure, but I'm not sure that it's a great way to do a large league like classic.

Maybe we could playtest both concepts - it wouldn't be that hard to get 14 players for a short league.

You would submit your list of teams for your x number of visiting games for each coach. Then fill in the rest with the home team after the visitors have selected. The schedule would already be in place.

Ahhhh I see.

Wanna do it?

for sure...but I need someone to assemble the coaches and then look after setting up a regular season schedule and look after stats, standings etc. and then oversee the playoffs.

I can handle any financial transactions of the league and conduct random drug tests for dope.....starting with Fenty.

I like the idea of a season where you have to use a different team against each coach! that would be cool. But my question is this - would you know beforehand what team the other coach is going to use against you? Or do you have to submit a list specifying which team you will use against each coach? That could be interesting.

Sorry guys but I dont have time for organizing a league and keeping track. Really appreciate all the work some of you guys put into the leagues though.

But my question is this - would you know beforehand what team the other coach is going to use against you? Or do you have to submit a list specifying which team you will use against each coach? That could be interesting.

I think the idea is that the away team chooses first, so that the home team can adapt. it'd be like having the last change at home.

You'd pick your 13 away teams and their opponent, then the second round of picks you pick the 13 home teams and their opponent.

Alright, when I get home I'm going to do some sign-ups for a tournament like this - I wanna try it out. The first idea though, because it doesn't exactly require you to plan ahead of time (i'm no fan of that :))

• 4 weeks later...