NHL'94 Forums

NHL 09 Sucks?

I figured id give everyone on the forums looking to get NHL 09, a heads up.

My buddies who work as game testers have been playing NHL 09.

And gave the following review:

- They didnt improve or change the graphics from 08

- Added 1 extra game mode which really isnt that great

- They screwed up the control scheme

Thats what i remember from their nhl 09 sucks rant.

And then advised that your better off buying 08, and 09 isnt a worthy purchase.

they could be wrong, and its just their personally opinion. or it might just really suck ass.

Either way i thought id share my information with anyone interested in 09.

i hope they're wrong...

Thats wierd considering most people who have played the 09 Demo have said positive things.

I heard Be A Pro mode is amazing, the new goalie animations are awesome and checking is toned down. I havent heard much about the change in the control scheme, but I never did that complex stuff anyway.

Thats wierd considering most people who have played the 09 Demo have said positive things.

I heard Be A Pro mode is amazing, the new goalie animations are awesome and checking is toned down. I havent heard much about the change in the control scheme, but I never did that complex stuff anyway.

checking is toned down? it was dull enough in 08 :unsure:

i want bodies flying!

What system? PC's gets stuck with same old crappy PS2 version, so I guess it doesn't matter too much to me, that's all I've got.. A friend who has the PS3 demo said it was awesome, but who knows. I have yet to try any of the nextgen NHL's...

lol.

not like I really care - the 2k series has been better since...nhl94.

With better gameplay, I have a solution:

2008-9 rosters (soon): http://www.nhl94.com/update

Create a player / create a team mode: http://www.hexaddicts.com/nose/index.html

Online matchmaking: http://www.aim.com

Dynasty mode: http://www.blitz94.com

Draft your team mode: http://gdl.nhl94.com

SEASON MODE: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showforum=62

With the $50-60 you've saved, I have a suggestion:

20 Tim Horton's Iced Caps OR 15 Starbucks Frappuccinos

4 Medium pizzas (8 if you live in Alberta)

Season tickets to the SJSU Spartan Hockey Club

1 tank of gas (!!!)

wasnt nhl09 supposed to have the nhl94 controls?i personally liked the 2005 ps2 version where you used 1 analog stick to move and the other to stickhandle...was very cool!!!besides the glitch goal from the blueline which every S.O.B used online.

NHL 2001 > NHL 200* To bad it's way too easy though, otherwise I'd probably be into my 300th season by now..

I heard something about them simplifying the controls, about damn time.. Who need four buttons just to shoot? O_o We were doing fine with one all these years :unsure: Oh well.. If I someday get a nextgen console, I'll probably get hold of NHL 09.

lol.

not like I really care - the 2k series has been better since...nhl94.

With better gameplay, I have a solution:

2008-9 rosters (soon): http://www.nhl94.com/update

Create a player / create a team mode: http://www.hexaddicts.com/nose/index.html

Online matchmaking: http://www.aim.com

Dynasty mode: http://www.blitz94.com

Draft your team mode: http://gdl.nhl94.com

SEASON MODE: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showforum=62

With the $50-60 you've saved, I have a suggestion:

20 Tim Horton's Iced Caps OR 15 Starbucks Frappuccinos

4 Medium pizzas (8 if you live in Alberta)

Season tickets to the SJSU Spartan Hockey Club

1 tank of gas (!!!)

ROLFCOPTER

and secondly...... i downloaded 2k9 demo. its mehhhhhhhh

Well I don't really want to dump a bunch of money on a videogame anymore. If I really want to play an NHL game online, this community is free and I can toy around with just about whatever league, tournament, etc that I want to, without being constrained by EA or hardware limitations.

I'm not worried if EA makes a game better than NHL94, or better than Tecmo Super Bowl. They haven't. They can't because all of their games have to be super-simulations and be chock full of features in order to sell - instead of being immediately pick-up-and-play fun.

If they are able to do this in the future, more power to them - they've just failed for the last 15-20 years at doing so, all in the name of sales.

wasnt nhl09 supposed to have the nhl94 controls?i personally liked the 2005 ps2 version where you used 1 analog stick to move and the other to stickhandle...was very cool!!!besides the glitch goal from the blueline which every S.O.B used online.

There is a 'classic' control scheme that you can choose to use if you don't want to use the analog stick handling and shooting.

Well I don't really want to dump a bunch of money on a videogame anymore. If I really want to play an NHL game online, this community is free and I can toy around with just about whatever league, tournament, etc that I want to, without being constrained by EA or hardware limitations.

I'm not worried if EA makes a game better than NHL94, or better than Tecmo Super Bowl. They haven't. They can't because all of their games have to be super-simulations and be chock full of features in order to sell - instead of being immediately pick-up-and-play fun.

If they are able to do this in the future, more power to them - they've just failed for the last 15-20 years at doing so, all in the name of sales.

QB SACK!

METZGERISM

Well, I've been playing the demo for quite a bit now and I've noticed a few things.

- Checking players is out of whack. Granted, it's better than last year (see: magnetic attraction towards players, devastating hip checks), but when I can deliver a bone-jarring hit with Sidney Crosby by flicking the right analog-stick, something is definitely wrong (could it be the return of the weight bug? :) )

- The defense actually plays defense now. No longer is it that every offensive attack is similar to a powerplay.

- I'm no longer hitting the damned goalposts 5-10 times/game (i.e. players miss the net more often).

- Pokechecking is more effective

- The stick lift is very effective once mastered. Perhaps too effective...

- The tutorials are an improvement, but that's not saying much.

- The AI will make you pay for errors (trust me, I tried playing it 08 style and got routed. You have to play smart hockey to win)

- Be a Pro mode is decent. Nothing groundbreaking, just decent. Although I will say that the camera is competent and actually focuses on the play.

Overall, I'd say that it's an improvement over 08, but not by much. The clinchers will probably be Dynasty Mode (read: broken last year) and the EASHL (something tells me that EA will drop the ball on this one, considering that EA's servers have been terrible over the past few weeks in the games I've played).

I'll probably buy it, but rent it if you can.

I thought Be A Pro mode was amazing and will only be better in the finished game.

I never got to do the Stick Lift because I use 'Classic' controls over 'Default'.(I hate shooting with the Analog)

The AI is getting better and the CPU can do some sick offensive plays.

I picked up the demo for 09 on the 360 yesterday and I'm pretty impressed. Defensive aspect has been polished up nicely, it's harder to get the offense rolling than 08, and it seems those lame money goals have been fixed (the whole go left shoot top right from far away was so ridiculous). Posts have been toned down, you'll miss the net now rather than hit 50 posts a period. Although someone in here had a point, the checking is a bit crazy with small guys being able to absolutely lay people out, HOWEVER this isn't a big deal as you can adjust it with a slider and tone it down. Be a Pro is very fun and the camera works well, I expect to probably be into my third season on that within a week :).

Ultimately I think it's a significant improvement over 08 and when it gets released I'll pick it up. I will then let you guys know what I think of the finished product, but I don't expect to be let down much, assuming online works well

Sounds like the biggest thing they did to make it more like NHL94 was bring back the weight bug.

Smozoma should be able to secure about $10,000 Canadian for a one-time fix.

But it'd be so hard with the source code :)

i dunno what people are saying about defence... my def is all over the place.

maybe its cause i cant get used to these retarded controls.

so to pull the puck from someone you can either poke check or hook, thats it right?

i mean you can TRYYY...and lift his stick, but youll just hit him in the face and get a penalty.

oh, and why cant i switch to manual goalie?! it says to hit L1 and X at the same time..doesnt work.

Using nhl 94 controls in this game is useless. You cant use old school controls in a game like this. you need to be able to deke, poke check, all that stuff. or youll never get the puck and youll never score.

and i dont think you can wind up a slap shot with the old school controls in this game.

I picked up the demo for 09 on the 360 yesterday and I'm pretty impressed. Defensive aspect has been polished up nicely, it's harder to get the offense rolling than 08, and it seems those lame money goals have been fixed (the whole go left shoot top right from far away was so ridiculous). Posts have been toned down, you'll miss the net now rather than hit 50 posts a period. Although someone in here had a point, the checking is a bit crazy with small guys being able to absolutely lay people out, HOWEVER this isn't a big deal as you can adjust it with a slider and tone it down. Be a Pro is very fun and the camera works well, I expect to probably be into my third season on that within a week B).

Ultimately I think it's a significant improvement over 08 and when it gets released I'll pick it up. I will then let you guys know what I think of the finished product, but I don't expect to be let down much, assuming online works well

I think were on the same page here Logan. Plan on picking it up as well and will likely play Be A Pro mode a TON.

Are you using Default or Classic controls?

Boo i want a next-gen pc version

I always use the new controls, I find using the right stick for shooting/deking works out very well. As for lifting the stick, it works, you just have to use it right. It's not as good as a poke check anyways, or a block pass, but i HAVE used it to cause a d-man to miss a puck and let me go in on a breakaway.

It's a great game, it just takes a bit of getting used to. As for goalie mode and whatnot, it's a demo and a ton of features aren't in it.

Anyone know if you can change the camera angles in Be a Pro mode? I find the one in the demo pretty useless. When you're rushing down the wing, it shows you the corner and the net, rather than showing you the net and your teammates, so you always have to make blind passes. I tried setting the camera to "high", but it's still not showing me anything useful (there's no one in the corner, stop showing it to me, i know it's there already!)

Well, with all this chatter, i decided to download the demo for my ps3 today...and its the best nhl ive played in a while...but i dont think itll rip me away from 94. its a pretty cool game, i love the graphics and it feels pretty slick, but it just doesnt have that same pick up and play feel 94 has. you can pick up 94 and play it and control it, but it takes years to master. i feel like 09 would take years just to be able to grasp all the controls and what the hell they do and then by the time i hit the grave, id be able to master the gameplay.

And like ive always said...i cant score a double hat trick with lonnie loach in nhl 09, i can in nhl 94.