NHL'94 Forums

NHL95 Roster Update For The 08-09 Season

Triumph

Hey,

Hopefully there's still some people lurking around here, if so, you're in luck. I've finished a roster update for NHL95 that should be valid for the 2008-09 season.

A few things:

1: You may notice some players from the old game lurking around - the Kings have 3 for example. Since the Kings are such a disaster of a team, I have no clue who's going to make their club this season. Rather than guess, I just scratched those players and will edit them when rosters are finalized in a few days.

2: I haven't updated the schedules. I don't intend to do this.

3: The best players from the expansion teams not included in the game are Free Agents. Also Free Agents are Jaromir Jagr and Alexander Radulov, our Russian defectors, as well as Peter Forsberg, Brendan Shanahan, Mats Sundin, and Bret Hedican. One of these doesn't belong...

Full disclosure: I am a Devils fan, and I don't get to see the Western Conference that much.

9/29 UPDATE: Mathieu Schneider's a free agent, Ken Klee and Brad Larsen are unmercifully added to the game, I've made some number changes, and all the team statistics are updated for 2007-08. I intend to finish the final update when rosters are finalized, then make a trade deadline edition (with mostly minor re-rates for the 08-09 season), then one again in September 2009. Hopefully - who knows. Anyway, this is mostly for ThreeStars to update the player statistics - hopefully i can avoid the temptation to tinker with these until that happens.

UPDATE929.rar

Edited by Triumph

bump because i fixed some s**t.

I'm looking it over now. On the Penguins roster, the only player that looks off is Miro Satan, whose attributes are low for a offensively aware sniper with good accuracy.

A minor quibble would be Crosby and Malkin. IMHO Crosby is a more accurate shooter, but Malkin shoots harder.

Once you reach some kind of stopping point for a few days, I'd be happy to do some stat editing for you.

Here's a sneak preview of some third jerseys. I still have some tweaking to do, not to mention all the other thirds.

thirdjerseyslx3.jpg

I watched at least 10 Islander games last season, Miroslav Satan was either disinterested or terrible, so that's how he gets rated. I was perhaps a bit harsh, not taking into account 2006-07 enough, so I might bump him a bit. Regardless, I don't think he's a 'sniper' anymore and I think Pittsburgh isn't going to get what they got from Sykora out of him - Satan's best attributes were his skating and stickhandling, both of which appeared to desert him last season - his shots per game were down almost a full shot from 2005-06, and his accuracy was well off his career average as well. I rated him in line with other players who scored 16 goals and had 25 assists. Sykora's lost a step but he can still shoot, which means Crosby and Malkin can just set him up all day.

I did decide, after writing this, to bump his agility and offensive awareness by 5 points.

Anyway, glad you went through the attributes.

Cool jerseys - when would the third jerseys be used, at home, I guess?

Yeah, I'll likely put the majority of the thirds into "homepals.bin" with the rest of the dark jerseys. The only white thirds that are being released are Dallas's and Toronto's, and those will go into "awaypals.bin".

When I re-release my jerseys for this year, there will be two sets of those files...one for regular jerseys, and one for thirds. You just have to either copy and paste the files (carefully!) to get the one you want, or keep them all in the directory and rename them as needed. I guess if I was really feeling creative, I could create a .bat file that does that for you.

If you're looking for some more inspiration about player ratings, there's always the current NHL 09 ones: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/898/898201p1.html . Most of their ratings can be directly translated to NHL 95 PC, and the rest can be averaged or something.

As your official Penguins correspondant, I can tell you that Satan and Dupuis are on a line with Crosby, and Staal and Sykora are with Malkin.

Anyway, once you give me the go-ahead (i.e. you don't have any real player editing to do for a while), I'm going to correct the stats for the top 10 or so scorers on each team, plus a few free agents. That should be enough that the simulated stats won't be too weird.

I should be done with player editing by the start of the season. Once the season starts I don't want to be adjusting ratings of already rated players - otherwise I'll just get all confused. As I said, lots of signings are coming, and salary cap moves, so I expect the final version of the ratings to come out when the opening day rosters come out.

Thanks for the help on the stats - I guess one of us would have to do the whole thing, otherwise I'd offer to do half. I knew if I re-did the stats at the same time as the ratings, I'd never finish the project. I wonder if just redoing the team stats would work, I was going to do that on my own. I simulated a season yesterday and Ottawa was terrible.

I looked over the NHL09 ratings - lot of problems in there. I honestly think, just from looking at New Jersey, that my ratings are better and more accurate. There's also some 'fun' ratings - much as it was fun to discover that Tommy Sjodin had a 90 shot power or Sheldon Kennedy could skate like the wind, there's some guys who are much better in this game than they are in real life - and vice versa.

If you're looking for some more inspiration about player ratings, there's always the current NHL 09 ones: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/898/898201p1.html . Most of their ratings can be directly translated to NHL 95 PC, and the rest can be averaged or something.

I wouldn't translate the ratings directly.. they're almost all above 70 in every category.

TO get more variety, i'd apply a formula like 2*(x-50) where x is the 09 rating. This will make them usually from 40-80, with a few lower or higher.

The shooting accuracies are bit different.. i'd go with something like 1.5*(x-50)+25.

(Those are to get nhl94-ish ratings, though)

I wouldn't translate the ratings directly.. they're almost all above 70 in every category.

TO get more variety, i'd apply a formula like 2*(x-50) where x is the 09 rating. This will make them usually from 40-80, with a few lower or higher.

The shooting accuracies are bit different.. i'd go with something like 1.5*(x-50)+25.

(Those are to get nhl94-ish ratings, though)

first off, i fixed some problems above. everything should run smoothly now. threestars, i also edited the pittsburgh lines to how you said they were, and made a few minor changes to player ratings around the league.

yeah, even so, smozoma, i think even a generalized rating system will come up with better results than a formula for translating NHL09 ratings. there's no world in which paul martin's slapshot is equal in velocity to jamie langenbrunner's, mike mottau was in the minors for 8 years because he is slow and NHL09 doesn't make him so, hal gill isn't a better bodychecker than matt cooke (he's too slow to hit anyone consistently), and so on. I mean it's an interesting conundrum - do you fit the ratings to the player, or the player to the ratings? Do you ensure that player X performs as well as he does in the NHL, or merely list his attributes, as they are?

nor do i think nhl95 would be much fun with a direct translation, as you said. it's fun learning to score with guys who have 65 shot power, or knowing who on your team has a wicked wrist shot because of his passing ability.

Here's some good news...

I found a stats editor in the "NHL 95 forever" zip that will automatically update player stats based on a text file. It searches by name, and then updates the stats accordingly.

This means that I'll spend some time getting the text files updated (one for each team), and once we're ready, I can update the entire league in less than a minute.

Edit: I have 9 teams left to go.

Edited by Three Stars

• 2 weeks later...

ah awesome.

okay i just updated a lot of numbers today, and booted schneider off the ducks into free agency, added selanne, etc. so what if i upload a new roster update when you're finished creating this text file, and then you update the stats with that - will that work out? (if it doesn't it's no big deal, i haven't done that much work on it).

Edited by Triumph

ah awesome.

okay i just updated a lot of numbers today, and booted schneider off the ducks into free agency, added selanne, etc. so what if i upload a new roster update when you're finished creating this text file, and then you update the stats with that - will that work out? (if it doesn't it's no big deal, i haven't done that much work on it).

Yep, that'll work. I'll try to power through a bunch of them today.

Will you be updating the team stats? (W/L/T/GF/GA/etc)

Yep, that'll work. I'll try to power through a bunch of them today.

Will you be updating the team stats? (W/L/T/GF/GA/etc)

wow that took way less time than i thought it would - just updated all the team stats. unfortunately, i can't figure out how to fix the playoff tree, as it still shows the rangers winning the stanley cup.

are you updating playoff stats as well? just curious. i might be willing to do that, seeing as how the team stats only took around an hour, and there's only 14 playoff teams.

anyway i posted the latest update.

Edited by Triumph

wow that took way less time than i thought it would - just updated all the team stats. unfortunately, i can't figure out how to fix the playoff tree, as it still shows the rangers winning the stanley cup.

are you updating playoff stats as well? just curious. i might be willing to do that, seeing as how the team stats only took around an hour, and there's only 14 playoff teams.

anyway i posted the latest update.

I wasn't planning on doing the playoff stats. Laziness mostly, but once you're playing playoff games the only stats that really matter are the ones from the games that are actually played (not simmed).

I'm pretty sure the default playoff teams are hard coded, but having the regular season stats correct will tend to get the appropriate teams in the playoffs when you sim a season. I've seen other people try to mess around with that without success. Same with divisional alignment and scheduling algorithms. You can put Colorado/Quebec in whatever division you want, and it will show up that way in the standings during the regular season. The problem is in the playoffs, where they always reappear in the Eastern conference. Plus, you can crash the game if you're too vigorous in changing divisions and conferences and such, since the "central registry" is hard coded a certain way.

I'll grab your update and get to work.

Edit: Ok, I've got a list ready for all teams and have run the program. There are a few players that it strangely seems to not be able to find, like Phil Kessel, even though they're in there. Then again, nobody could find Phil Kessel for stretches last year. B) I'll update those manually, as well as the goaltenders. It's football time, so I'm done for tonight.

Edited by Three Stars

hey - you should probably make a new post whenever you do anything, otherwise i have no idea. nice line about kessel - he's way better in nhl95 than he is in real life.

cool cool - i'd be willing to do the rest if you don't think you have time, or whatever. i kind of want to get cracking on the latest things (tarnasky out, o'donnell traded, richardson signed)

Ok, I'll send it back. I did a few goalies into the b's, but not many. There are a few guys with unedited stats, but none of them have high enough stats to matter.

Oh, and I made Kris Letang a righty.

Real Life has kept me busy, so this is better off in your hands.

Edit: Removed the attachment, considering it's messed up and people seem to be downloading it.

Edited by Three Stars

Ok, I'll send it back. I did a few goalies into the b's, but not many. There are a few guys with unedited stats, but none of them have high enough stats to matter.

awesome! hmmm. there's a problem though. i just clicked on evgeni malkin and it froze up.

FIXED! for some reason, you changed pittsburgh's ID to '216'. i'll click around and see if this happened for any other team, then get on updating the goalie stats, deleting the extraneous goalies (who needs more than 2, it's nhl95), and by saturday, all rosters around the league should be close to finalized - i should have the final rosters by wednesday of next week.

Edited by Triumph

awesome! hmmm. there's a problem though. i just clicked on evgeni malkin and it froze up.

FIXED! for some reason, you changed pittsburgh's ID to '216'. i'll click around and see if this happened for any other team, then get on updating the goalie stats, deleting the extraneous goalies (who needs more than 2, it's nhl95), and by saturday, all rosters around the league should be close to finalized - i should have the final rosters by wednesday of next week.

I have no idea how that happened, unless the txt2db program did it. I just went into NHLinfo, and I can't find that number. Oh well. At least the stats are good. Well, except for Chris Minard. 40-some points is way too many for him, so feel free to give him a zeroing.

Edit: Removed the attachment, considering it's messed up and people seem to be downloading it.

<_< Good job! Your hard work reminds me of the days when me and my brother where nuts with all these raitings. Hope I can play a season later.. Many thanks again. :dal_skater_hand_grab:

okay i think i am done with all the stats editing. all the goalies are finished.

so now it's just waiting until rosters are finalized and making some last-minute edits, and these should be all done.

Sweet. I'm waiting for some news on third jerseys so I can get my jersey pack close to final.

okay it might take a little longer than i had hoped. i have 5 rosters done - ottawa, new york r., pittsburgh, tampa, and new jersey. unfortunately teams haven't quite made their last cuts yet, and if they have, they're slow in posting a roster.

for players going on to waivers now, like mark bell and rhett warrener: i will remove all of them who i've already made from their respective lineups, but only to make them scratches. i suspect many of them will re-surface in the nhl at some point, plus who doesn't like a few more players hanging around? one of my great disappointments with nhl95 is the lack of long-term injuries, so that your bench is irrelevant once you find your 18 best skaters.

Edited by Triumph

okay some teams have been kind enough to release their rosters so i've done colorado, washington, st. louis, boston, carolina, detroit, the islanders, toronto, chicago, and montreal. this leaves buffalo, calgary, edmonton, los angeles, dallas, philadelphia, san jose, vancouver, phoenix, anaheim, and florida. monday of next week it will be finalized.

• 10 months later...

hey,

his rosters are newer, i think, but i think my ratings are more accurate. i have one posted at http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showtopic=9813 that takes into account what happened at the march trade deadline, but the ratings are based on the 2007-08 season. i started to do ratings for the 2008-09 season but i stopped halfway. i might finish them - if i do, expect them out in october.

• 2 months later...

hey everyone - i posted in august that i might have new ratings out in october. i lied. but hopefully if all goes well, i will have new ratings and current rosters up here by tomorrow afternoon.

Edited by Triumph

• 2 years later...

Here's some good news...

I found a stats editor in the "NHL 95 forever" zip that will automatically update player stats based on a text file. It searches by name, and then updates the stats accordingly.

This means that I'll spend some time getting the text files updated (one for each team), and once we're ready, I can update the entire league in less than a minute.

What is the name of this editor?