NHL'94 Forums

Early Season Predictions

kupuck19

With the 08-09 season having kicked off and getting into full swing, let's make some predictions.

1. Top two teams in the East:

I'd have to say the two teams to look out for are Pittsburgh and Montreal. Carey Price I'm predicting will have a great season for Montreal, I will expect him to have a better post-season as well as long as he got those play-off jitters out that he had last season. Pittsburgh, look at the roster. Great returning group, granted they will be without Sergei Gonchar for 4-6 months but they have scary talent up on the offensive front and Marc-Andre Fluery in the pipes. Washington and Philadelphia should be in the running too as well.

2. Top two teams in the West:

Hands down, San Jose and Detroit. Both team have a good strong core group of players that helped lead them to their success last season, with San Jose's addition of Rob Blake I think is going to bring some of that veteran leadership to the Silicon Valley that the Sharks have been looking for, he may not be what he once was but his presence I feel will bring something valuable to the Sharks. Nabokov will be outstanding for the teal and orange as well. Detroit, defending champs with Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Rafalski, and Lidstrom stacking the roster. Osgood leaves me a little skeptical, he had a great post-season but I don't feel he was as challenged as Fluery, Turco, Nabokov, and other goalies during the playoffs. He had a great team in front of him and he played clutch for the wings but I'm not sure how he will do being #1 all season. It'll be interesting to watch. Anaheim and Dallas will be battling as well, Anaheim with Selanne and Scotty Neidemeyer at the start of the season might add to their success they had later in the season in 2008 earlier in the 08-09 season with returners such as Pronger, Getzlaf, Perry, and JS Giguere. Anaheim had problems bringing the intensity in the play-offs last year, causing them an early exit. If they can get that determination and competitiveness back that they had in 2007, look out.

I've gotten to lazy to write up after that one so now I'm going to list...

3. This years surprise teams in the East:

Atlanta

Tampa Bay

4. This years surprise teams in the West:

Chicago

Edmonton

5. Stanley Cup Final Prediction:

San Jose vs Montreal Canadians with the victor as Montreal in celebration of their centennial year.

these picks are all the standard picks consensus with all the "gay experts."

Rangers and devils will be up there in atlantic, devils absolutely dominated penguins tonight shots were like 50-15.

You completely forgot about Calgary too, I like oilers to make some noise this year. And hopefully Blackhawks as well.

After doing some research, ive discovered that ALL the big names in Montreal (and then some) will be unrestricted free agents at the end of this year.

and we do NOT have the cap to bring back all of them.

So it is literally NOW or NEVER for the Habs.

Bob Gainey went all out and stacked this team with a lot of talent.

We better do it..

these picks are all the standard picks consensus with all the "gay experts."

Rangers and devils will be up there in atlantic, devils absolutely dominated penguins tonight shots were like 50-15.

You completely forgot about Calgary too, I like oilers to make some noise this year. And hopefully Blackhawks as well.

Didn't mention Calgary because I don't think they are exactly a "surprise" team, everyone knows that Calgary will have some great fire power this year I just don't think they will be one of the top few teams but definitely will go to the playoffs.

Vancouver as well will be amongst the top in the West. I have a feeling Dallas with a great run at the end of the season last year might bring some more to the table than Vancouver and Anaheim was picked because of my bias attitude towards my favorite team. :D

Let's hear your guys picks.

Edited by kupuck19