NHL'94 Forums

How to stop lag?

Petrafire

is there any settings or tips on how to stop lag

i just played my first online game against my buddy next door and it was major laggy

-use a high speed connection

-close all programs that are running and that you dont need which may be slowing your system

-use a decent-fast computer

-dont have spyware crap all over your computer, keep it clean

thats all i got :)

also if your playing the guy next door...get an ethernet wire and play using a LAN=no lag at all

My wireless connection, even with a low ping, is just horrid for playing online. I live near downtown chicago so there quite a bit of interference from neighboring wireless networks. I've used other wireless networks in less congested areas and it works fine.

So in a nutshell, if your on wireless, try using an ethernet cable and see if it makes a difference. It's a huge difference for me.

It also seems some servers, even with a low ping, just arent smooth for me. Try other servers that give responses under 100ms. Sometimes even with a higher response time, you'lll be surprised by the smoother gameplay.

My wireless connection, even with a low ping, is just horrid for playing online. I live near downtown chicago so there quite a bit of interference from neighboring wireless networks. I've used other wireless networks in less congested areas and it works fine.

So in a nutshell, if your on wireless, try using an ethernet cable and see if it makes a difference. It's a huge difference for me.

It also seems some servers, even with a low ping, just arent smooth for me. Try other servers that give responses under 100ms. Sometimes even with a higher response time, you'lll be surprised by the smoother gameplay.

ok well i will try that since i have been choosing the lowest ping everytime so far

i have a good computer so its not that snd yes hes my neighbour but his house is too far away to run the wire to it

Guest BSDaemon

Ensure that your ports are forwarded correctly, and that you are using the UDP protocol.

UDP is connectionless, so it is much faster for things such as online gaming and streaming media.

Guest BSDaemon
Port forwarding is only needed on for SNES.

You don't need to forward ports for Gens. (unless you are hosting a kaillera server)

Port forwarding is needed for any application in which a machine on your LAN is to listening for connections. Nothing to do with SNES/GENS or even computer OS.

how do i check if my ports are forwarded correct?

Well, the simple answer... if you and the person you are playing against both are using UDP, and they are unable to connect to you, then your ports are not forwarded. Simply log in to your router, and configure it according to manufacturers instructions.

You could always have somebody run a scan on your WAN interface. NMap would work well.

Port forwarding is needed for any application in which a machine on your LAN is to listening for connections. Nothing to do with SNES/GENS or even computer OS.

Hmm... That's funny. Out of the 10+ people I helped setup for online play using gens, not one of them had to forward ports on their routers. And I certainly didn't forward ports on mine. Strange...

You guys are both right because Daemon's description of applications needing port forwarding is correct, and you're correct because Gens + Kaillera + connection to a Kaillera server on the internet involves no listening on either player's part, while one player connecting directly to the other involves listening, and therefore can require port forwarding.

Guest BSDaemon
Hmm... That's funny. Out of the 10+ people I helped setup for online play using gens, not one of them had to forward ports on their routers. And I certainly didn't forward ports on mine. Strange...

:)

You guys are both right because Daemon's description of applications needing port forwarding is correct, and you're correct because Gens + Kaillera + connection to a Kaillera server on the internet involves no listening on either player's part, while one player connecting directly to the other involves listening, and therefore can require port forwarding.

Actually, he is incorrect. It has absolutely nothing to do with the software, nor even the operating system.

The fact is, with Kaillera, neither of you are running any sort of server that requires port forwarding, as Tickenest said. You are both establishing a connection to an outside server. In fact, I'd put money on the fact that wherever the Kaillera server is, the router in front of it has port forwarding turned on. B)

So, in no way, shape, or form is backhandfloater's answer correct.