NHL'94 Forums

Question for Smoz...

Goal: Two sets of players for a draft league - weight-bugged, and bug-fixed. So "old" and "new," so that Roenick and Lemieux are both legitimately strong.

Idea: Weight bug is fixed in the ROM, but what if the checking formula referenced the handed/fighting byte, instead of the weight byte? And then we set their H/F rating approximately according to their weight. Righties would likely be more aggressive than their lefty counterparts, but that might be a small reason to draft the more uncommon righties.

Could this be done?

Goal: Two sets of players for a draft league - weight-bugged, and bug-fixed. So "old" and "new," so that Roenick and Lemieux are both legitimately strong.

Idea: Weight bug is fixed in the ROM, but what if the checking formula referenced the handed/fighting byte, instead of the weight byte? And then we set their H/F rating approximately according to their weight. Righties would likely be more aggressive than their lefty counterparts, but that might be a small reason to draft the more uncommon righties.

Could this be done?

I suppose it could be done, but how do you decide who gets buffed and who doesn't?

Well, the whole point would be to have two sets of players draftable, so that the league could (A) be larger, or (:( be more even.

Weights would not change, but one Theo Fleury would have a "checking weight" of 3 (fixed) and one would have a checking weight of 12 (bugged).

Well, the whole point would be to have two sets of players draftable, so that the league could (A) be larger, or (:( be more even.

Weights would not change, but one Theo Fleury would have a "checking weight" of 3 (fixed) and one would have a checking weight of 12 (bugged).

But then Roenick and Fleury would be good as well as Neely and Bourque, while the guys in the middle would become the useless guys. Why not just change the check formula so they all get the same base modifier (instead of weight)? Obviously no one would pick "sucky" Fleury, or if they did, there would be "good" Fleury and "sucky" Fleury in the same league.

Maybe you need to give some more detailed examples, because I don't get what you're getting at :/

But then Roenick and Fleury would be good as well as Neely and Bourque, while the guys in the middle would become the useless guys. Why not just change the check formula so they all get the same base modifier (instead of weight)? Obviously no one would pick "sucky" Fleury, or if they did, there would be "good" Fleury and "sucky" Fleury in the same league.

Maybe you need to give some more detailed examples, because I don't get what you're getting at :/

The idea is that there are two of each player to draft, mainly so that the draft doesn't have the same problems in depth.

Yeah, there's a good roenick and a bad roenick. But I play with the bad roenick in blitz, and still have a great time takin' it to y'all.

It's just that we'd end up playing with better players in a draft league.

The idea is that there are two of each player to draft, mainly so that the draft doesn't have the same problems in depth.

Yeah, there's a good roenick and a bad roenick. But I play with the bad roenick in blitz, and still have a great time takin' it to y'all.

It's just that we'd end up playing with better players in a draft league.

Hm, I think other hacks will get my attention first; this one doesn't interest me much. Not sure how the math would work when 'good' roenick checks 'good' bourque or the other way around, either