NHL'94 Forums

Blitz01 - Playoff Seeding

smozoma

I really wish I had come up with DNP and seeding rules earlier so I didn't know how they would affect individual teams.

There are trade-offs in every way of doing this.. But I'm sticking to this format below.

NOTE: getting into the playoffs and playoff seeding have different ranking schemes.

Getting into the Playoffs

Getting into the playoffs is based on Points, minus DNP penalties.

The DNP penalty system is explained here: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showtopic=9183

Playoff Seeding

Playoff seeding is based on Pts%. Think if you were 5th or 6th: you worked hard to not have to play the top couple guys. And the top couple guys played hard to not have to play the relatively tough 5th and 6th guys. You can't penalize anyone in playoff seeding without hurting someone else, too.

Matchups

1v8, 2v7, 3v6, 4v5

Reseed each round based on Pts%.

"A":

EDM (Icestorm NHL94 - 0.709) vs STL (BeefJerkyRules6 - 0.347)

PHI (snoboarder3211 - 0.613) vs PIT (sebe82 - 0.411)

T.B (angryjay93 - 0.602) vs WPG (Vocally Caged - 0.42)

NYR (thegr8199kings - 0.494) vs HFD (minddefect - 0.489)

"B"

DAL (smozoma - 0.659) vs CGY (Rage93 - 0.304)

DET (Flamingpavelbure - 0.649) vs CHI (metzgerism - 0.449)

WSH (hokkeefan2 - 0.585) vs BUF (Houlanov - 0.489)

BOS (sonoffett87 - 0.568) vs L.A (rynweinmeyer - 0.559)

To see how the DNPs affected who made the playoffs, see http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?s=&sh...ost&p=70441

Series Length, Home/Away Advantage

Series are 7 games, in 2-2-1-1-1 format. However, the higher seeded team gets to chose if they have home or away ice advantage. So, if you are 1st and you prefer being the away team, you can choose to play 4 away games (games 1,2,5,7). To support this, I'll be making 8 games available for each series, so if the higher seed wants away advantage, there are 4 away games for them. In the "A" league, last I checked, home won just over 50% of the games. In "B", it was over 56% (or 58, can't remember).

Tie breakers

1. More games played

2. W (not including OTW), OTW, T, OTL, L

3. Pts% accumulated in games between the tied teams (works if there are more than 2)

4. Same as 3, but in cases where teams did not play even number of home/away games, the earliest game is dropped that evens the home/away games.

5. GF-GA differential

Edited by smozoma

Tie!

Smoz: I vote for 5 min OT's and in the case of a tie we just play a new game and the first goal wins. Not sure about the uploading though

Uploading must happen, so, no..

plus what if there is are penalties carrying over into the second OT? what if you hurt a guy for the game and now he magically comes back to life?

Not sure this matters based on seedings, but I dont recall playing sebe's home games against him.

So because sebe never plays he cheats and makes up games and then uploads them?? Seriously that's lower than making multiple user names in my opinion...

http://www.blitz94.com/boxscore.asp?gameid=108 His goalie magically has a 100% save percentage dispite allowing 2 goals.. it's almost like he pulled his goalie and scored on him to make it look like a believable game.

That is a weird box score. Whats weirder is having an average of 16.5 pass attempts in those two games when in the prior 3 with gr8199 having an average of 45 pass attempts. Just seems like completely different game styles.

Mike, how can you not remember when they were posted at 12am this morning? Were they older games you guys played? Gotta be a good explanation, right?

Not sure this matters based on seedings, but I dont recall playing sebe's home games against him.

Yeah, based on stats issues others have pointed out, I'm pretty sure these games are bogus:

combined 1/1 onetimers over 2 games, when he usually averages 5 per game -- over 7 per game in the previous 3 games vs gr81

half the usual passing

mcsorley had zero checks for in both games

2 empty-net goals (although i know of situations where this can happen.. but twice in one game?)

and i can confirm that the games were uploaded by sebe's computer.

I'm thinking suspended for the playoffs, but we'll see what Sebe has to say first....

Going out, back later.

Im 100% sure we didnt play those games because Sunday night we played my 3 home games and then I wanted to watch some TV, the rest of the night. On Monday alot of personal stuff came up and I had no time for games.

So sebe did upload these games without my permission. Ice, we didnt play these games before.

Those games were uploaded incorrectly, my bad. I have been having problems with uploading and i thought we had played all our games, GR8. U can delete those games. Sorry for the confusion. My intent wasnt to get free wins, i just thought we had played them and they weren't uploaded correctly. Those save states were fake, and i admit it, im not trying to hide it, its plainly obvious just by looking at them , i was just trying to get the score right.

Edited by Sebe_The_Legend

Those games were uploaded incorrectly, my bad. I have been having problems with uploading and i thought we had played all our games, GR8. U can delete those games. Sorry for the confusion. My intent wasnt to get free wins, i just thought we had played them and they weren't uploaded correctly.

I don't get it; where did those gamesaves come from?

ok i will clear this all up. I was under the impression that GR8 was done his games because he told me in a Hamatchi chat that he "was done". I mistook that for him being done his season, instead of done playing our games i guess... Either way i assumed incorrectly, made simed save states of my wins cause i had two against gr8. I thought the wins were missing, instead of not played. I have been having upload problems. I normally dont make up fake states unless there is a dycink etc. I wasnt trying to cheat (BO), its not like it takes much to figure out that those are handmade save states. On the other hand i do feel everyone deserves and explaination. Long story short, my memory and my assumption let me down. My bad, no harm intended, , as for those wins gr8 can have them. Suspend me if u like, not much i can say about that.

ok i will clear this all up. I was under the impression that GR8 was done his games because he told me in a Hamatchi chat that he "was done". I mistook that for him being done his season, instead of done playing our games i guess... Either way i assumed incorrectly, made simed save states of my wins cause i had two against gr8. I thought the wins were missing, instead of not played. I have been having upload problems. I normally dont make up fake states unless there is a dycink etc. I wasnt trying to cheat (BO), its not like it takes much to figure out that those are handmade save states. On the other hand i do feel everyone deserves and explaination. Long story short, my memory and my assumption let me down. My bad, no harm intended, , as for those wins gr8 can have them. Suspend me if u like, not much i can say about that.

OK, I believe this...

I asked about the uploading problem, and I can see what he's talking about in the database uploading records. His login session would time out while he was on the upload page... When this happens, you can still upload a game (bug in the system), and though the game uploads fine, the system boots you out to the login screen instead of showing you a link to the boxscore. It's confusing.

A message saying the game were simmed since the originals were lost would have been nice, though.

The games finished gr81s season, too -- there is no way he would have expected gr81 to not notice fake games. So.. I just think this was a bad misunderstanding or something.

The usual DNP rules apply.

The season ends at 3am EST. I'll tally the DNPs tomorrow some time (it's late!).

I'll make the playoff ROM and set up the database and website for the playoffs tomorrow as well, but I'm not sure at what time. Playoffs *should* start some time Wednesday night, if all goes well.

If I can't get it done Wednesday, unfortunately, I'm busy Thursday, so I'll have to do it Friday.

Hope it was a fun season.. Sorry about the messiness towards the end.

Those games were uploaded incorrectly, my bad. I have been having problems with uploading and i thought we had played all our games, GR8. U can delete those games. Sorry for the confusion. My intent wasnt to get free wins, i just thought we had played them and they weren't uploaded correctly. Those save states were fake, and i admit it, im not trying to hide it, its plainly obvious just by looking at them , i was just trying to get the score right.

lol that is a fu*king joke it is obvious as hell he tried to steal wins... if the wins finished gr8's season there is a better chance he wouldnt notice as that is the last time he would have to look at the site.. not to mention he made them close low key 1 goal games.. dude clearly tried to cheat and should be out of at least these playoffs if not for life from all leagues that is the lowest thing you can do on here

Gotta agree with Carse on that one. Uploading issues and creating games that didn't happen are NOT related issues. The two explanations don't make any sense. Especially given the first three games him and Gr8199 played were days earlier, not like an hour or so earlier.

Sebe mentioned making the scores right? What does that mean? Either the games were played or not, never heard of forgetting games were played then simming them to make the scores look right.

Dunno man, things don't make sense at all.

Gotta agree with carse and ice, not saying sebe is making stuff up here, but i dont see all the connections of how you forget or thought games were played and not uploaded and everything. Before doing something like that you gotta speak with gr81 to confirm and the commish of the league. I dont want to ban sebe from the league for a season or however long becauase maybe it was just an honest mistake and a horrible misunderstanding. But suspending him for the playoffs is appropriate and it sets a standard for an issue such as this.

This is unbelieveable, carse i cant believe u are saying that. I was by no means trying to steal wins. The scenario is complex, hopefully it is understood. I played my games with G8, we played 3 games, i won 2 games lost one. I thought we had played all of our games, gr8 had mentioned to me that "he was done" i assumed he meant done his blitz season and we had played our games earlier, my memory is not the greatest, I was incorrect, my mistake, doesnt make me a cheater tho. As we were playing our games i would save states and upload, using the same save state number eg blitz.gs0, whatever. So each save state would over write the other, in my Gens folder. I didnt pay much attention to anything, because the screen said succesfully updated...Later that night i looked in my upload list and noticed that I had 2 games Vs Gr8 that were sitting there.It didnt make sense because if we didnt play our games then why is there only 2 games listed there, there should be 3!!? There is still one game missing that i cant explain, theres no result for it, and its not in my upload page. This also contributed to my confusion, i just figured they didnt upload correctly and they were my last 2 games. I checked the standings, they hadn't changed except for the one loss that i had VS GR8. So that left 2 wins missing for me, i didnt have the states saved because i had played skool and saved his states over my last Gr8 save state. At that point, i just made the states up to the best of my memory, one goal games and uploaded them because i felt they were played and were missing. I wasnt trying to fool and cheat anyone, it doesnt take much to realize that they were fake, come on Ice, u know that. It turns out that just clicking on the coach standings link for some reason wasnt refreshing the standings page, i had to close the site page and reopen to notice a difference thats why i didnt notice it the first time. The games showed up and i was still confused as to why i still had these 2 games sitting in my upload list. If we had hadnt played our games then why is there one missing game and 2 unplayed games, it made sense to me that if there were 3 games left, it meant we hadnt played our games, but there were 2 left sitting there, i felt they were 2 were missed. IM still confused and those 2 games are sitting there...I can't explain the missing game, maybe smoz can....To be honest I havent been paying close attention to Blitz and who ive played, i got confused and i didnt realize that we hadnt played all 6. Smoz explained the problem to me and all of you and you are still condemning me as a cheater. I understand how it may look malice, but when u stop and take a look at the save states, u got to be pretty dumb not to see that they are made up states. I apologize to Gr8, it was an honest mistake coupled with technical difficulties.It was an honest misunderstanding, a blunder on my part. I should have left an explanation of the simed games, but i just figured it wasnt a big deal, they were my wins, and its obvious to anyone they are simed i had nothing to hide. I was going to message GR8 when i saw him online next to let him know. Gr8 himself understood that they weren't big games, he can have them i dont care, i dont want to be considered a cheater because my upload list is messed up.

If i get suspended from the playoffs, thats smozs decision, it would be a shame, but a lesson learned for me to pay extra attention to uploading and games played in blitz.

Im not a cheater, those who know me, know im not. I dont need to prove myself to anyone, believe what u like.

We definetly didnt play sebe's home games and what I meant by 'Im done', was for the evening. sebe should of knew that we had two more games because we discussed this before even playing my first 3 home games.

I dont know what else to say about this situation?

i'll have a decision by 10 and then make the playoff matchups. not entirely sure i'll get the ROM made and database set up tonight, though.

busy/stressful week on several fronts...

id say just pass all the drama and keep a closer eye on this stuff down the road and lets get these playoffs going! i was looking at bures points record per game in gdl and dmac recreated a gm and scored 11 goals and 1 assist in a tight race with aj for the scoring title ...so this does and has gone on ....so just keep track of this and me create ing 20 secret identities and we can all live in harmony B)

so you had the memory to recall the "right" scores but you cant even remember if u actually played the games? come on man

I didnt say i couldnt remember if we played the games, i thought WE HAD PLAYED HALF, A WHILE BACK, and it was only a few hours between the time the games were played and the time i mocked the save states. The scores could be wrong, i didnt say they were 100% correct, like i said i "TRIED" to get the scores right.

I just can't tell what really happened.

But I see he made the first game a 1-goal game and the second one not so close. Same as the last 2 games they actually played.

It's still a bit suspicious, though.

However, I'm going to stick with the earlier decision.

Sebe's still in, and those games are deleted.

I know this makes a lot of people unhappy.

Edited by smozoma