NHL'94 Forums

Kega Fusion

metzgerism

Ok, just so you can see what I'm talking about in Hamachi, I have the pics to show for it.

This is Hamachi when it's open

Hamachi1.jpg

This pic is when it's connecting...

Hamachi2.jpg

... and this is when it fails

Hamachi3.jpg

Does someone have the same problem as I do? What can I do to fix this??

EDIT: For the one guy who gave me the solutions link.... You win the internet!!

What's the name of your network on Hamachi? I'm gonna join it now.

Edited by Mr_One_Timer

Connection was near perfect on my end. Kega runs at the speed the game should be played at. As someone who plays on the console at home regularly, i can say that gens has a different feel, runs faster and u notice lag and latency alot more with gens. Kega is the closest thing ive used to the console for feel and proper latency.

New version! Kega Fusion 3.6 is out!

http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-download_....php?fileId=558

Supports AVI recording now it seems.. and he might have added smozoma's request for savestates with hotkeys enabled in netplay. Will report back after I test it out a bit.

some new changes that could be useful:

* Rewrote controller code, should fix problems with some USB controllers.

* Added two controller sharing options for Netplay. Everybody can now share

controller one, or all controllers. The latter isn't very useful, but why

not.

* Added AVI Logging using custom Kega Game Video 1 lossless codec. This is

needed because logging RAW video causes poor performance even on highend

machines, and using any of the available codecs either doesn't compress

well enough to fix that, or does compress well enough, but can't keep up

with 60fps, so you get poor performance either way. The codec is able to

use hints from the emulator to aid in compression, allowing pretty good

compression while taking very little CPU time. The codec to allow you

to play back and convert the files is included in the archive, and can

be installed via right clicking on the INI file and telling the OS to

continue with the install. Tested on XP and Vista64, should work fine

on 9x and Vista32.

* Disabled BIOS use where possible during Netplay games, to prevent out

of sync errors when people had different combinations of BIOS/NO BIOS/

Different BIOS.

* Netplay Games should now automatically change your country code to that

of the host.

* Kega Fusion now runs beautifully under Vista.

Fooled around with it a bit. It should run even more consistent now, framerate and timing wise, on different players computer specs/configurations than before. This should mean netplay games should be smoother for people who might have had bad experiences with Kega in the past.

For example, on my subpar laptop, 3.5 would run a bit inconsistent as far as accurate speed goes, so even when I would test a network game out on lan with my desktop, it was slightly jumpy. Not the case with 3.6 now, especially when I enable "Use Alternate Timing" under options.

Unfortunately, the hotkeys for savestates still wasn't added in, so I guess we'd need to pester developer Steve Snake a bit more to make sure he gets it in there in his next version, which I assume there will be one soon enough. Since 3.6 made a lot of changes, their is bound to be a minor bug or two that would make the need for another slight revision in the near future. Another thing is, I can't seem to get AVI movie recording to work during netplay since it ends up creating basically a blank .avi file. And the "two controller sharing options for Netplay" isn't really what we were hoping for.

But the improved timing on Vista and different hardware configs and, as a result, even smoother netplay is much worth it..... Furthermore, if that bios fix ends up fixing that early desync bug for good, then even better. Though I think putting a random word/number in the box where your SRM file directory should be, in config-genesis tab, which I had some other coaches try, was already a fix for that, which was permanently disabling any s-ram loading

I think people who have been saying there is no reason to favor Kega should take a look at these items:

if the controller issue is tightened... then this makes Kega a lot more favorable

2 questions: for novices, what settings should users change for optimal use?

for full screen, which settings will display the proper aspect ratio of the game? Is this user dependent?

some new changes that could be useful:

* Rewrote controller code, should fix problems with some USB controllers.

* Added two controller sharing options for Netplay. Everybody can now share

controller one, or all controllers. The latter isn't very useful, but why

not.

on 9x and Vista32.

* Disabled BIOS use where possible during Netplay games, to prevent out

of sync errors when people had different combinations of BIOS/NO BIOS/

Different BIOS.

* Netplay Games should now automatically change your country code to that

of the host.

* Kega Fusion now runs beautifully under Vista.

"

Did you get AVI saving to work with netplay yet? It'll be a huge disappointment if they aren't compatible"

It seems, at the moment, while it allows you to use the option while in netplay, with a quick click on the video menu... it must've been disabled as some sort of safeguard possibly, during netplay. Darn Steve Snake and his built-in safe guards!

ATM, I can still use Fraps on my quad-core system to capture on Kega, but I realize most players probably don't have the specs or hard drive space to be able to do the same. Hope I can find a way to trick Kega into using it's built-in recorder in netplay, or hope it gets enabled in the next version.

can we play 2on2 four players on this yet

You could in 3.5, and in 3.6 now. Just make sure the host has 4-way adapter enabled in options (might have to restart the emu to save changes first), and it allows you make a netplay game with 4 players by clicking the arrows when you create a game. Just make sure you use medium bandwith with 4 players, cause High will mostly likely be laggy. And bump up the latency higher than normal, probably try 100 latency at first, and try a notch or two higher if its laggy. Let me know if you want me to test along with 2 others, I'd be more than willing, since 4player would rock with in-game chat.

2 questions: for novices, what settings should users change for optimal use?

a few weeks ago I was thinking of releasing a repacked Kega, with different optimal default settings for netplay, by adjusting the .INI config file. I still just might do that, for all nhl94 users to download, to make it easier for everyone.

for full screen, which settings will display the proper aspect ratio of the game? Is this user dependent?

It can be user dependent, for instance, depending if you someone has a 4:3 montitor or a widescreen one like my new 27" lcd ;)

Picking the correct fullscreen resolution (1280x768 for me) could be it, but what i do personally is just uncheck both Fixed Aspect options (Fit and Zoom) to fill my whole screen. I don't care if the aspect is exactly correct or not, I just want it to stretch to fill out the screen!

Here are two options I've mentioned before that still might be needed for 3.6 for more optimal online play:

newbitmapimagele1.jpg

Make sure "Use Alternate Timing" is checked

-----------

Also.....

newbitmapimage2kz0.jpg

Type in something in the SRM Files box, where no SRM (Sram) could ever be found..... (the Disable Sram option still doesn't work)

-------------------------------- *EDIT*---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And finally one other important issue I might add when it comes to switching to fullscreen. It seems thegr8199 has been right all along afterall, for the most part. It seems some of these desynchs are caused by certain players who's monitors seem to take too long of a time switching to fullscreen (SEBE! ;)), resulting in a desynch. This has been one of the reasons why desyncs seem to happen right from the beginning of the game for certain specific users. For some reason when you do the switch to fullscreen while in the menu screens of NHL94, rather than mid-game, it increases the chances of desync for some strange reason as well.

Sebe's fix seems to be waiting to switch to fullscreen till the game loads at faceoff, but a much better and much more practical solution is switching your fullscreen resolution to something your monitor will switch to quickly. Setting your fullscreen resolution to match exactly the same as your desktop resolution, makes switching to fullscreen a much more timeless, flicker-free, and overall seamless process. Not to mention desynch free those few users that have that issue. At the very least, at least experiment and find one that works and looks best for you.

fullscreentv1.png

Select a fullscreen resolution that matches your desktop resolution, or at the very least, use one that doesn't cause a long wait and/or multiple flickers while the switching from window mode to fullscreen mode is in process. So you shouldn't need to worry If you haven't had issues of desynching, then you are probably already good to go....though possibly your opponent isn't ;)

If for some reason the fullscreen issue is worse for you than Sebe's, and no matter what you do it takes longer than a few seconds to switch to fullscreen with ESC, you can always go into fullscreen ahead of time, before even loading the rom and starting/connecting to netplay.

----

I would like to probably repackage Kega so that the first 2 options that are recommended are already defaulted. The fullscreen issue is one that is user specific though. I'm probably making the fullscreen issue a bigger deal than it is, as I think it only affects a minority of players. But if those players play a lot of games with many others, it can give a lot of us headaches.

Edited by MindDefect

On the "Log Video File" under Video..... when I select that, it seems to create the file, and begin recording it. After doing so, if you go back to the Video menu, there is no "Stop recording video" or anything, but I noticed that if I re-hit "Log Video File" again, it seems to then save the video....

The problem is for me, is that I can't seem to figure out how to play it. I just recorded a quick 1min video or so, and it was 20mb or something, but it said I didn't have the codec to play it... I tried WMP and VLC. Any ideas?

On the "Log Video File" under Video..... when I select that, it seems to create the file, and begin recording it. After doing so, if you go back to the Video menu, there is no "Stop recording video" or anything, but I noticed that if I re-hit "Log Video File" again, it seems to then save the video....

The problem is for me, is that I can't seem to figure out how to play it. I just recorded a quick 1min video or so, and it was 20mb or something, but it said I didn't have the codec to play it... I tried WMP and VLC. Any ideas?

Go inside the Video Codec folder, and right click on the file "KegaGameVideo.inf" and click install. .

Go here if you still have issues.

This is nice to see. I wasn't sure there would be another update.

Alternate timing? -- Haven't tried that before, what does it do?

Saving netplay games -- F5 function would be nice, but just so others know, you can still save the state after playing an online game by saving it after going offline.

Video Recording -- Have you guys tried using the codecs he mentions in the history file?

on 9x and Vista32.

Note that these AVI files are not really meant to be shared as they are,

it's just a way for you to log video without horrible laggy gameplay.

Convert them to Xvid or something using the excellent VirtualDub program

(Google it.) I'll open up this codec sometime later incase it's useful

for other purposes/programs.

Edited by Scribe99

Alternate timing? -- Haven't tried that before, what does it do?

I found his description of this in the readme file:

"USE ALTERNATE TIMING - Normally the sound card will be used for timing

purposes - this ensures a clean, pop/gap free sound stream. However, some

sound cards/drivers do not provide accurate timing information. If you

notice any speedup / slowdown or inconsistent speed problems, you can try

enabling alternate timing instead. Note though that you may get some

problems with sound if you do so. This option will be forced ON if you

have no sound card in your machine, or you disable sound."

------

This does sound like a great option to check for online play as it should take care of any speed bumps that are caused by the timing between video and sound.