NHL'94 Forums

Not using Gens anymore

thegr8199

For the second time in a week, Ive had a game dsynch on me when using Gens P2P and not have the same score as my opponent. I didnt want to fight with kg, so I gave him the game 3-2, but mine showed 3-3.

I refuse to use Gens anymore, so if you cant use Kega, I will forfeit my games for the rest of the season and playoffs. I will also not be back for GDL6, if Gens is used since Im having too many problems with it.

If someone wants to make a league where Kega is mandatory I will join it, until then goodbye.

Note: kg, when I saved it was 3-3 on my screen so I cant upload the game 3-2, so we will have to replay it.

Yah we really need a tutorial.

I have posted that kega download thread but there are some issues that n00bs and others won't understand right off the bat.

Plus, KEGA desyncs instantly A LOT (I've had to restart many games after 20 seconds of play).

But there are some guys like me who can't get Hamachi to work because the mediating servers can't let you log in. It's not nice, and I don't like it. I played with metz a couple of games on Gens and it did okay. Maybe the ping and the connection wasn't so good? :P You should address such a problem in case players can't get into Hamachi.

Edited by Mr_One_Timer

unfortunately for some god forsaken reason Hamachi refuses to properly install on my computer making it impossible for me to connect to anyone who uses it. Kega is alright, i don't really notice the difference between Kega or Gens P2P tho.

unfortunately for some god forsaken reason Hamachi refuses to properly install on my computer making it impossible for me to connect to anyone who uses it. Kega is alright, i don't really notice the difference between Kega or Gens P2P tho.

Yea I agree... the differences seem very small to me...

hamachi certainly will allow for much smoother games regardless of emulator. that should become mandatory if anything.

gr18.. I am interested in what research you have done that warrants you to completely boycott Gens and parade it on the boards as if it's a monster? I certainly can understand that your personal experiences with Gens have left you frustrated.. but they do not represent the majority of players, some who prefer gens for various reasons.

Just stating that kega is better leaves me skeptical. Is there documentation on the mechanics of either gens or kega that would definitively allow us to qualify one as "better"?

Kega doesnt favour one side of the connection for one. To this point I havent had a game dsynch on me after the start of a game.

matt, your hamachi theory is wrong because I played both Ensuing and kgman with it and Gens P2P and still got dsynched.

Kega doesnt favour one side of the connection for one. To this point I havent had a game dsynch on me after the start of a game.

matt, your hamachi theory is wrong because I played both Ensuing and kgman with it and Gens P2P and still got dsynched.

In the same manner, I would say your kega theory is wrong. I played a game with Metz on Kega, with hamachi, and it was terribly slow. Everything was choppy, even the music.

We played afterwards on Gens - smooth.

I can present my personal experiences as an argument to use only Gens.

additionally, I have desynchs with Kega a few minutes into the game on several occasions. Your rebuttal that desynchs can be avoided as long as you don't hit full screen at the same time seem dismissive.

What I am seeking is "kega uses x which gens does not have that prevents desynchs and segments of choppiness"

I should say that I've played some excellent games with a few guys on Kega - it appears that it can allow for smooth games at a pace that is accurate to the actual game. But it isn't consistent, and I don't think it warrants exclusion of Gens.

For the second time in a week, Ive had a game dsynch on me when using Gens P2P and not have the same score as my opponent. I didnt want to fight with kg, so I gave him the game 3-2, but mine showed 3-3.

I refuse to use Gens anymore, so if you cant use Kega, I will forfeit my games for the rest of the season and playoffs. I will also not be back for GDL6, if Gens is used since Im having too many problems with it.

If someone wants to make a league where Kega is mandatory I will join it, until then goodbye.

Note: kg, when I saved it was 3-3 on my screen so I cant upload the game 3-2, so we will have to replay it.

well ive hardly ever had desynchs in 3 years playing this game ...its been choppy as s**t but hardly ever have desynched ....think thats just an excuse for guys to replay a game when things arent going their way...ive noticed that when it is a real desynch obviously they skate into the boards and s**t ...but ive had guys say desynch when there playing normal as ever but there down a goal or 2 ...so in other words they are lying.gens is best for original view and you can notice the speed of fast players....kega's view is odd and everyone almost seems the same speed....and yes i do have the console and there not all that f**king slow and yes i do uncheck the filtered screen.....but yes its smooth ...but gens p2p is just aS smooth with most people ....id say just use what works ...just cuz a few of you love this new slow smooth version doesnt mean the rest of us should have to as well...and if u have to quit cause not everyone is going to use kega then id have to say cya later thegr...cause its not going to be mandatory throughout lgs

Yeah Hamachi is greeeeeeeeeat.... unless you get the error that too many people are on at the same time... hokee and I tried to Hamachi for 10 minutes last night and after 12 combined attempts he was able to get in..but I was the home team! ha!

Nothing was better than when we had the dedicated NHL94 server.. what happened to it?

In the same manner, I would say your kega theory is wrong. I played a game with Metz on Kega, with hamachi, and it was terribly slow. Everything was choppy, even the music.

We played afterwards on Gens - smooth.

I can present my personal experiences as an argument to use only Gens.

additionally, I have desynchs with Kega a few minutes into the game on several occasions. Your rebuttal that desynchs can be avoided as long as you don't hit full screen at the same time seem dismissive.

What I am seeking is "kega uses x which gens does not have that prevents desynchs and segments of choppiness"

I should say that I've played some excellent games with a few guys on Kega - it appears that it can allow for smooth games at a pace that is accurate to the actual game. But it isn't consistent, and I don't think it warrants exclusion of Gens.

If Kega is choppy, you probably didn't set the latency to a value higher than the ping of your opponent?

I do think Kega is much better for netplay, but the lack of features sucks (no maximize/stretch, no f-key saving, no recording of games)

Gens obviously doesnt work for me. matt, youre still avoiding the fact that Gens favours one side of the connection, giving an advantage to the smoother side.

Avoiding? I didn't even know that it did?

In what sense does one side of the connection get favored, and what evidence to you have to support this?

By chatting with my fellow coaches about how choppy my game was and being replied with "It was smooth for me", on various occasions.

I certainly have experienced this conversation on a few occasions.

I am not inclined to use this as strong evidence... it is a weak assertion based off of qualitative responses of two different people. One person's "smooth" may be another person's "choppy". Several people, notably those who live in the west and play predominately eastern opponents, very likely could be used to generally choppy games.

What I would like to see is some basic proof on the disparity between playing experiences. Using Gens, games can be recorded... so if 2 coaches independently record a game, then they can be compared. Of course this needs to be done until the "it's smooth for me" "it's choppy for me" experience... but until then, I am not convinced.

Im sure someone here can find the proof that each Gens player doesnt get the 'same' experience.

Until then matt, I think youre just trying to find excuses to make you 'think' Gens plays better online then Kega. I do realize that some players get a smoother experience then others, depending on location.