NHL'94 Forums

Not using Gens anymore

thegr8199

Im sure someone here can find the proof that each Gens player doesnt get the 'same' experience.

Until then matt, I think youre just trying to find excuses to make you 'think' Gens is better then Kega.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to become defensive. I'm wasn't attacking you, I was objectively stating that I need reasons to use Kega, not your subjective experiences.

Although I have no problem now saying that you are using your own bias as propaganda so you can get your way. It's pretty clear that several people prefer Gens over Kega, with excellent reason. If you want to rant on the forums that you will only join leagues that are exclusive to your likings, you are planting seeds for exclusivity that isn't going to help the state of the increasingly fractured leagues.

If you are going to campaign Kega, then you do the research. Don't write off people and expect your arguments to receive respect.

With this quote by you matt...

I certainly have experienced this conversation on a few occasions.

I am not inclined to use this as strong evidence... it is a weak assertion based off of qualitative responses of two different people. One person's "smooth" may be another person's "choppy". Several people, notably those who live in the west and play predominately eastern opponents, very likely could be used to generally choppy games.

And this one...

I'm not sure why you feel the need to become defensive. I'm wasn't attacking you, I was objectively stating that I need reasons to use Kega, not your subjective experiences.

I think you are getting defensive when you say its a weak assertion AND subjective, when MANY people have had the same experience and Im pretty sure they know the difference between smooth and choppy. Dont assume people dont know the difference.

I never said Kega is perfect, just a much better Emulator when playing online

There is a distinction between objective and subjective assertions.

The ones you make are subjective. There is no dispute to this, as you are using your own experiences and are presenting hearsay of conversations you had with other people.

I have stated that we need evidence to distinguish if Kega is superior, nothing more. Until then, I don't feel it is a good move to brand Kega as champion when other people prefer Gens with arguments that hold just as much merit as your own.

Hokkee has the best solution - use whatever works for you.

And I'm not above asking how you think my retort was defensive? I'm not defending Gens. I've stated that I have had situations where Kega works very well. However, the percentage of low quality games is similar on both emulators for me at this point. I'm asking that if you demand Kega exclusive leagues, then present objective reasoning as to why we should oblige. Telling me "many people think it's choppy" isn't much. Right now, I don't see an overwhelming response to Kega exclusiveness.

I now hand over the rest of this conversation to Hokkee, since he made the best point.

I have an interesting perspective on the ever annoying lag/choppiness.

Look at it as inclement weather conditions. In sports such as hockey, football and baseball, weather has an effect, be it positive or negative, in many games. Not every game in football is played in sunny SoCal. Miami dreads going to Buffalo in December to play meaningful football games. Fortunately this season Toronto has raped my beloved Bills of a home game with weather advantage and hosts it in the friendly climate controlled Rogers Centre. Gay.

Anyway, none of use are able to sit next to each other and play on a console (cept Bo and Carse and Sebe and his two buddies), so 'bad weather' conditions will always exist.

Deal with them.

Ice, I think your response is off topic and to lighten the mood, but the fact is when hokkee says 'use whats best for you', its a 50/50 thing when the other player refuses to use it.

And thats both for people that prefer Kega(ex: myself) and the others that prefer Gens(ex: matt).

I have an interesting perspective on the ever annoying lag/choppiness.

Look at it as inclement weather conditions. In sports such as hockey, football and baseball, weather has an effect, be it positive or negative, in many games. Not every game in football is played in sunny SoCal. Miami dreads going to Buffalo in December to play meaningful football games. Fortunately this season Toronto has raped my beloved Bills of a home game with weather advantage and hosts it in the friendly climate controlled Rogers Centre. Gay.

Anyway, none of use are able to sit next to each other and play on a console (cept Bo and Carse and Sebe and his two buddies), so 'bad weather' conditions will always exist.

Deal with them.

Ahh Ice you beat me to it! I was gonna say i'm not playing unless i'm sitting next to the person and we're using Genesis controllers =\

• 1 month later...
By chatting with my fellow coaches about how choppy my game was and being replied with "It was smooth for me", on various occasions.

Yep, that is the thing that finally did it for me. It's seems like every gens session one of the players has a slight advantage and the other is slightly delayed. I think its a timing issue with gens. It also doesn't seem to handle different video settings well at all.

I ran some tests by using the FPS display and typically when someone else had picked a vastly different video mode than me, one of us would get very low fps, yet the game would still run fine for the other.

I don't think KEGA has as many of these issues, and the timing seems much smoother so you don't experience controller delay as much.

I just want to say ive had the WORST lag experience of my life on kega. I think it was with VC? and sebe? possibly metz.

When kega lags. its NOT play-able AT ALL.

When gens lags...it doesnt kill all my brain cells to finish the game

i think kega has made things worse around here!!! for instance sebe and i playing ....i played kega through whole series in classic through kega since he really wanted to ...so i tried it out and the aspect i couldnt get right and it threw me off...not saying i wouldve ever beat chicago but it was nothing like gens ...so i was out of my reg enviroment...and i dont think series should be played 2 kega and 2 gens cause its fkin stupid and unfair to guys who regularly use gens so i think all lgs should be gens unless both parties are in love with kega ....like thegr,scribe,sebe,mindefect...etc..etc....no more ok ill play 2 kega then u can play 2 gens ...cause everyones used gens for years and it was fine untill a few fell in love with kega ....untill kega looks identical to gens ...im gens all the way.............and blah blah blah . ..im going to smoke and be happy :lol:

i think kega has made things worse around here!!! for instance sebe and i playing ....i played kega through whole series in classic through kega since he really wanted to ...so i tried it out and the aspect i couldnt get right and it threw me off...not saying i wouldve ever beat chicago but it was nothing like gens ...so i was out of my reg enviroment...and i dont think series should be played 2 kega and 2 gens cause its fkin stupid and unfair to guys who regularly use gens so i think all lgs should be gens unless both parties are in love with kega ....like thegr,scribe,sebe,mindefect...etc..etc....no more ok ill play 2 kega then u can play 2 gens ...cause everyones used gens for years and it was fine untill a few fell in love with kega ....untill kega looks identical to gens ...im gens all the way.............and blah blah blah . ..im going to smoke and be happy smile.gif

Im sick and tired of hearing this Bull shi* about kega. This website isnt called gens.com, its NHL94.com. The emulator is just a medium through which the game is played. "Everyones used gens for years..." LOL so???? Its sad and regrettable that we used a primitive , less efficient emulator for so many years. Kega is the closest thing out there to playing on the console. Gens runs to quickly, its choppy and is nowhere near emulating the conditions of nhl94 as it should be played, on the console. A true competitor wouldn't just throw away the possibility of playing on a superior emulator. The more i read about kega the more I can see how, we are losing touch with the basis of all things nhl 94, the console. Its where this all began, if u have never played on an actual console and are solely an online player, then i can understand how u can think gens is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Ive always found Gens to be odd, ever since i stepped on the scene, i fought through it, and for the most part I was successful. Gens p2p was an improvement, it allowed me to actually play my opponent instead of trying to negotate dekes and saves in the midst of server choppiness and lag. Making up lame ass excuses about getting the screen resolution right and all that, its not difficult, just ask me for help and actually be patient for the first time in your life, lol....(not likely for you hokkee, i know....), you will find that kega goes full screen, allows you to text in game, and it also provides 3 different windowed options. I hear alot of guys say, "Kega is too slow, doesnt feel right.." I can understand how one would feel that way, playing nothing but gens there whole life. I honestly believe that alot of players on this site are accustomed to using gens, and have adapted their game to online play, to suit the kind of game that is played on Gens. I myself have tried to, but being someone who plays on the console regularly, i can definitely see a clear indication of the contrast between Gens and Kega, and how Gens is a big disappointment. IM not saying Kega is perfect, theres Decync problems, etc..., however it is the closest comparison to the console I have ever seen through an emulator. Don't get me wrong, im not condemning Gens, or attacking you personally Hokkee, I just believe that Kega should be able to fit in anywhere Gens does. We need to move on and accept that change is inevitable, and that Gens is no longer monopolizing this site. We need to stop hatin on Kega and stop making excuses about it. I should be allowed to request Kega just as someone, can request Gens p2p. Split the games is fair to me. One dude likes Gens, cool he gets half his games in Gens, the other guys likes Kega, why not let him play his on Kega. It seems fair to me..Or just pick the better connection, i am willing to bet, Kega wins 8/10 times. The game play is different, but what makes Gens the correct choice gameplay??....;because we have been using it for years???? Im sorry, that doesn't hold any water for me.

I can agree that changing emulators mid season isnt fair, because the emulator can effect coaches' abilities and skill level. I have agreed to let Carse use Gens P2P, in our classic final, because he is accustomed to it and I'm a reasonable person. He in turn has agreed to give Kega a try in the future. If me and Carse can come to an agreement, anything is possible... :lol:, u never know he might turn into a Kega whore like me....

Edited by Sebe_The_Legend

One dude likes Gens, cool he gets half his games in Gens, the other guys likes Kega, .............................completely f**king wrong it has to be one or the other and it has to be gens untill kega is proven to all of us that its better and it doesnt! so if u play thegr or another kega dude ..all the power to u and kega....kega changes the game ...untill it looks and plays like gens ...alot of us wont change over or use 2 game a piece bullshit

Edited by hokkeefan

One dude likes Gens, cool he gets half his games in Gens, the other guys likes Kega, .............................completely f**king wrong it has to be one or the other and it has to be gens untill kega is proven to all of us that its better and it doesnt! so if u play thegr or another kega dude ..all the power to u and kega....kega changes the game ...untill it looks and plays like gens ...alot of us wont change over or use 2 game a piece bullshit

Hokkee... although I agree that a dual emulator platform isn't ideal, it really isn't reasonable for you to rest on the laurels of "it has to be gens."

the only actual changes in gameplay I noticed were a lack of precision in controlling for kega. It was suggested that the controls were improved in the latest release of kega... I have my fingers crossed. The aspect ratio can be achieved very near to what you see on the Gens if you play around with the settings.

I have had some really smooth games on Kega... but I have also on Gens. I personally have not experienced an upside in latency for Kega. Since that isn't an issue... I think it is fair to play half of a series on each others emulator of choice.

Hokkee... although I agree that a dual emulator platform isn't ideal, it really isn't reasonable for you to rest on the laurels of "it has to be gens."

the only actual changes in gameplay I noticed were a lack of precision in controlling for kega. It was suggested that the controls were improved in the latest release of kega... I have my fingers crossed. The aspect ratio can be achieved very near to what you see on the Gens if you play around with the settings.

I have had some really smooth games on Kega... but I have also on Gens. I personally have not experienced an upside in latency for Kega. Since that isn't an issue... I think it is fair to play half of a series on each others emulator of choice.

k i will play with the setting s some more and try it out ..

I just want to say ive had the WORST lag experience of my life on kega. I think it was with VC? and sebe? possibly metz.

When kega lags. its NOT play-able AT ALL.

When gens lags...it doesnt kill all my brain cells to finish the game

You must of had some of your settings wrong with Kega to have that much of a lag problem. I can go over it with you to make sure if you want.