NHL'94 Forums

offsides are awesome!

hokkeefan

lol they just make the game so much better and different from the usual run n gun bs. changing the attack and being aware of how you enter the attacking zone or staying in the zone with out going back over the line is great...i know alot of you including vets have never givin offsides on a chance so it should be interesting to see what you think after the fdl league entrants complete the season :D

i agree they are quite nice but some players are fkin retard with them and don't seem to know what offside means

AI is too dumb for offsides, if u make any kind of move at the blueline, theres no chance the AI will make that adjustment. It something different,which is nice to see, just wish the AI was smarter.

its easy to work with once you play with offsides for awhile....when the players break ahead there expecting the pass and there usually open but if u cant get them u just maneuver to let him get back onside ....very simple your just too used of run n gun ...no rules

Hokkee's right - everyone here is too used to run-n-gun...and it doesn't take a lot to get used to playing with the line.

While the official party line is that we're just trying this out, I'd really love to see blue-line leagues become the norm, instead of the rare exception.

But we will soon see.

All I know is, I never missed offsides after playing it in the first stats league. And that was with a slow ROM (most guys 3 or 4 speed and line changes on). They weren't that bad, but I think it took more fun away than it added. I'd go back to line changes before offsides.

But anyway, no more comments from me on offsides!

Honestly, I hate the blue line in the real NHL and I work for a team. I think it makes the play so monotoneous and boring. I'd rather see a guy make a play or a pass than dump the puck to the defense as soon as he gets it.

So the fact that the NHL has an offsides rule really has no importance to me. I like the fast-paced action this game allows, where it's all about playmaking skills. It's much more entertaining than the real thing, at least the NHL version. Give me some olympic sized ice sheets where more passing lanes are open and I might be okay with offsides.

Edited by Scribe99

Dude, nothing beats a long range breakaway bomb from your goalie to a speed merchant like Russ Courtnall or Pavel Bure. Screw the offsides, that just takes away the speed of the game. Whats fun about dancing at the blueline waiting for your moronic Right Winger (See Russ Courtnall) getting outta the O-zone?

If you want strategy, go play chess. Leave our game alone dammit :)

I KNOW THERE TOO HARD FOR YOU ....THAT SUCKS...offsisdesd make it more interesting and not just pass one end to other..u idiots make it sound like its impossible to play with ...when ur guys break u pass ...ugghhh u guys are just...translation.......................

we've been using no offsides for years and a little change is good sometimes....keeps it interesting

Edited by hokkeefan

It is, it is just too difficult to play with. They are, They are very difficult to play with. You are, you are a drunk bastard at 1pm pst. I'm out, I'm out for the Holiday.

Later

well this subject can have the final answer after the 50-60 gms with offsides ..cause alot of you havent even tried it more than a couple games and give up cuz u think it hampers the game but it actually just makes it more challenging ...after alll this is nhl hockey ...right!

Hokkee is right. i cant believe some of the dis respect hes getting for this suggestion.

not to mention HOCKEY IS PLAYED WITH OFFSIDES

the break away bomb passes ice refers to are still very possible. happens in the NHL all the time. and its much more satisfying when you get it with offsides on.

And if you guys have been playing offsides off for years then it is time for a change. couldest hurt. who knows...may never go back to offsides off.

Hokkee is right. i cant believe some of the dis respect hes getting for this suggestion.

not to mention HOCKEY IS PLAYED WITH OFFSIDES

the break away bomb passes ice refers to are still very possible. happens in the NHL all the time. and its much more satisfying when you get it with offsides on.

And if you guys have been playing offsides off for years then it is time for a change. couldest hurt. who knows...may never go back to offsides off.

EXACTLY man i love it when i succeed at a goalie feed and accept it with a challenge to stay onside....priceless...lol

Run n' Gun til I die.

Offsides is just a terrible concept in real life. It sucks in soccer and it sucks in hockey. It's just a handicap for the defense.

I really can't stand the NHL style of play, where the best maneuver is slap the puck to no one rather than make a play.

Well, if I could implement the two-line pass rule and add another one or two lines, that'd be nice...but I can't.

Offsides is there for a reason, and something has to act as the offsides rule in hockey and soccer.

If the CPU was smart, it would do what FPB does and station a forward up in the attacking crease.

They should just have a mid ice "over and back" rule like basketball.

Most people seem to think that no offsides in real life would lead to cherry picking. Yet you don't see that in basketball, where there's not even a goalie back there.

Not having offsides on just allows more styles of play. I've seen plenty of styles of play from playing guys on here. You can play "half-court" offense on here and if you do it just makes it harder for the opponent to run n gun. Two guys that like to run n gun are going to have an up and down game. The key is establishing your style of play and getting the opponent to play that. Matt Hurray and Smozoma, if I remember right, are great at slowing the run n gun by being methodical on offense. It does work.

If you flip offsides on, then everyone will be forced to play that kind of slowed down style, save a few turnovers here or there.

Edited by Scribe99

Matt Hurray and Smozoma, if I remember right, are great at slowing the run n gun by being methodical on offense. It does work.

on offense? guessing you meant defense? because i don't have an offense :D

Most people seem to think that no offsides in real life would lead to cherry picking. Yet you don't see that in basketball, where there's not even a goalie back there.

Super analogy bro. Never heard that comparison. When you getting back in some leagues? KEGA has proven to be pretty smooth.

Super analogy bro. Never heard that comparison. When you getting back in some leagues? KEGA has proven to be pretty smooth.

Yeah, the main reason I stopped playing was the inconsistency of gens connections. So it's nice to see KEGA has gained a following. I'll definitely be looking for some games now that people are using it.

Not having offsides on just allows more styles of play. I've seen plenty of styles of play from playing guys on here. You can play "half-court" offense on here and if you do it just makes it harder for the opponent to run n gun. Two guys that like to run n gun are going to have an up and down game. The key is establishing your style of play and getting the opponent to play that. Matt Hurray and Smozoma, if I remember right, are great at slowing the run n gun by being methodical on offense. It does work.

If you flip offsides on, then everyone will be forced to play that kind of slowed down style, save a few turnovers here or there.

offsides make the game more difficult and thats what makes it better ....all you guys who completely against it are just ignorant ...like how many games have you guys tried with it on ....you havent even given it a chance and your bashing it like your a pro or something.and played 50 games with it on ..as far as im concerned your not experienced enough to use it and it is a part of hockey ..and scribe ...shut ur ass up quitter...lol.

Edited by hokkeefan

offsides make the game more difficult and thats what makes it better ....all you guys who completely against it are just ignorant ...like how many games have you guys tried with it on ....you havent even given it a chance and your bashing it like your a pro or something.and played 50 games with it on ..as far as im concerned your not experienced enough to use it and it is a part of hockey ..and scribe ...shut ur ass up quitter...lol.

fifty-ONE, so there!

http://65.36.133.56/nhl94/user.aspx?id=33

Never even entertained the notion of suggesting playing with offsides enabled for fear I'd be tried for treason and shot at sunrise.

When I began my meteoric assent into NHL'94 mediocrity I had to acclimate to playing with offsides OFF.

My first few games were a baptism by fire versus the likes of backhandfloater and gr8199 some years ago trying to transition to netplay style because of this. Everyone told me that using offsides was a no no and the customary norm was to keep them disabled.

Not sure if I should be surprised that someone actually suggested playing with them and that there's some support, or more surprised that it's never really been discussed for league play.

Playing with a pass first offense means it's conducive to my game, so naturally I'd like to see some games played with them enabled.

Two things I'll say about offsides that some guys who never use them might not be aware of:

1. They are exploitable. It's legal to connect with long range aerial passes over the blue line with the use of a one timer while being offside in the game. I've scored many a goal this way.

Maybe this needs to be added to the bugs section?

2. All of the skaters on the ice play as though offsides are enabled, even if they are not. If you cross the blueline onside with the puck, then travel back into the neutral zone and your line mates are already in the offensive zone, then the skaters will come back out into the neutral zone to clear any type of delayed icing. Even if your not playing with offsides enabled.