NHL'94 Forums

Draft Utility?

Is there a utility that allows a user or league commissioner to conduct a player draft using the NHL 94 and NHL 95 ROMs? I have a copy of NOSE, but I don't think it has a draft function. How have online draft leagues managed to put together their rosters?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Is there a utility that allows a user or league commissioner to conduct a player draft using the NHL 94 and NHL 95 ROMs? I have a copy of NOSE, but I don't think it has a draft function. How have online draft leagues managed to put together their rosters?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Most leagues just do it through the forum. A schedule/order is posted in a thread, and people make their picks in the thread. Like so: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showtopic=9533

I have an ASP page to do it for the Blitz league, but I'm keeping the code to myself (as a sort of Blitz-only feature).

http://www.blitz94.com/draftab/makepick.asp

It's not very good, anyway (i need to upgrade it this week for the Blitz Season 2 draft!). And having it hardcoded makes it less flexible than the forum method (my system doesn't handle trading of draft picks).

Once the draft is done and people are done trading, someone uses NOSE to finish off the rosters.

Edited by smozoma

Once the draft is done and people are done trading, someone uses NOSE to finish off the rosters.

This is where I'm confused. How do you use NOSE to actually modify the rosters? I don't see a way to trade players between teams or otherwise move them around. Is there a way to empty the rosters and then move all the needed players onto them? It seems to me that NOSE just lets you edit players, delete them or add them. But then there's also the issue of free bytes, and I'm not sure if that would cause problems when trying to 'draft' players to teams.

This is where I'm confused. How do you use NOSE to actually modify the rosters? I don't see a way to trade players between teams or otherwise move them around. Is there a way to empty the rosters and then move all the needed players onto them? It seems to me that NOSE just lets you edit players, delete them or add them. But then there's also the issue of free bytes, and I'm not sure if that would cause problems when trying to 'draft' players to teams.

You can copy a player from one team and overwrite a player on another team using CTRL+C / CTRL+V

There is a button somewhere that tells NOSE to take care of the free bytes for you, so you don't have to worry about them. In a draft league, you would never use enough players to run out of free bytes (I think there are enough bytes for about 24 players on each team, as a guess -- most draft leagues only use 12 players per team)

Just keep messing around with it, NOSE does a lot of stuff. If there is a readme.txt file with it, read that because I think wboy put a lot of hints in there.

A 'secret' ability is to have two separate instances of NOSE running at the same time (ie run NOSE twice and open ROMs in both NOSEs), and you can copy/paste players from one NOSE into the other NOSE. This makes editing rosters much easier, because you don't have to worry about 'losing' players when you overwrite them -- they are still there in your 'source' ROM.