NHL'94 Forums

Somewhat of a find (Changing in-game play code)

Above the penalties at Offset 00018D80 contains a list of similar offsets.

0000 CD00 0000 CDE0 0000 CF9A 0000 D09C 0000 D1E8 0000 D294 0000 CC4E 0000 CBFA 0000 C882 ....etc

AT Each of these offsets begins the #082B. The rest of the numbers I have no clue. But this pattern is similar to the order of the offsets for the order of team names.

I am to stupid to figure out the rest. Maybe you guys can.

I checked it out and each offset seems to be player movements. I fooled around with the offstes and the players didnt celebrate after a goal or after a win and seemed to not backecheck fo r some reason. My guess is somewhere involves players fighting.

Good to see you went that next step and used a bit a trial and error to see what it affects in game! Thats pretty much the basis of all hacking finds, so as you've proven, your or anybody shouldn't use the excuse that you're too "stupid" to find things!!!!

It just takes a bit of patience and observation to do simple trial and error hacks, followed by a bit of in game play to see the affect.

I had a 10 minute play with those offsets myself last night. Re-arranged the order of a few of the offsets, but did give it enough time to see any affect/odd behaviours.

I then changed all the offsets to 0000 CD00.... but that didn't even allow the rink to load after you attempt to start a game. I gave up on it at that stage and went back to working on the editor.

You could have the start of a nice find there. It may be related to player formations... or behaviours/mindsets??? I've been messing around in 91 and thing I've found the bytes that affect a teams performance/mindsets when playing at home as opposed to playing away. May be related, especially if the changes you made seeming affected a teams backchecking/defensive awareness...?

Keep at it.... I won't be spending much time on new finds until the editor is released.

• 3 months later...

I checked it out..

I changed the Value..CA2A (offset 00018DB2) to CD00 As a result the player didnt get into the box after a penalty.

I changed the Value..D51C (offset 00018DB6) to Cd00 as a result the goaile skates up the ice with the rush.

I changed the Value..DD2E (offset 00018DBA) to CD00 As a result CPU goalie was way off on his angles.

I changed the Value..DF18(offset 00018DBE) to CD00 As a result the CPU player with the puck didnt skate up ice.

I changed the Value..E6F4 (offset 00018DC2) to CD00 As a result the CPU player with puck spins around.

I changed the Value..EC82(offset 00018DC6) to CD00 As a result the CPU player with puck spins around. and if u stand still with the puch the cpu stands still as well.

Thast all i Found as of now.

• 2 months later...

Hoping to stumple upon fighting, i checked the NHL 93.bin file offsets above the Peanlty texts.

Before you read this i did not find anything on fighting.

i changed offset 00015218 value of 002E.....to 0000- once the period is over the graphics mess up.

i changed offset 00015214 value of C43E.....to 0000- as a result the rink doesnt load.

i changed offset 00015210 value of C060.....to 0000- as a result the game menu doesnt load and freezes

""" "" "" "" "" "" " " " " " " " " " " " " " "" ' ' " ".....to 0C6E- as a result the game skips periods.

i changed offset 0001520C value of C05C.....to 0000- as a result the Penalty doesnt load

i changed offset 00015208 value of CCEA.....to 0000- as a result the rink doesn't load

i changed offset 00015204 value of C932.....to 0000- as a result the game buggers up on faceoffs.

i changed offset 00015200 value of A4FC.....to 0000- as a result the rink doesn't load.

i changed offset 000151FC value of A4EC.....to 0000- "" "" "" "" "" "" "" "" "" "" "" "" ""

Looking for penalty data, i looked at one of the offsets 000C05C

Relatice to this offset is the following data.

08C2 0005 6000 DD28 6000 0C48 08AB 0001 0062

Changing 6000 to 0000 results in the CPU player not taking any shots throughout the game

" " DD28 to 0000 " " the CPU players shot freezing the game.

" " 0001 to 0000 " " the period endind at the right time however the game returning to the last faceoff

" " 6700 to 0000 " " teams pulling there goalie on their PP after a penalty has been called.

I've seen alot of what you've described doing similar tests...

I was doing these test to see if I could get anywhere with 4 on 4 hockey. The best was at one point it was 1 on 1 with no goalies or something, and once you score it goes back to 5 on 5 or something.

Keep digging... you'll eventually stumble on something.

• 8 months later...
I changed the Value..D51C (offset 00018DB6) to Cd00 as a result the goaile skates up the ice with the rush.

I changed the Value..DD2E (offset 00018DBA) to CD00 As a result CPU goalie was way off on his angles.

I apologize for bumping up an old thread but I stumbled upon it and found the above findings EXTREMELY interesting and did some experimenting of my own.

First off, McRae, what is the significance of CD00? It must mean something if you modified everything to it. Please enlighten me because I really think this is one of the most interesting finds EVER and I want as much understanding behind it as possible because this WILL open up some doors for us if we keep exploring it.

I changed the D51C value to "9999" and I got the following at the start of the faceoff:

post-46-1162869532_thumb.jpg

I went to offset 99C7 and it comes right after Penalty minutes in the game stats and before the Crowd Meter. I have 2 theories regarding this:

1) the value I changed was the area that allowed the goalie to skate with the rush. Perhaps making it a high value as 9999, gave him such a free roaming area that it allowed him to go into the crowd which would somewhat explain the crowd sprites in that screenshot.

2a) Whatever "9999" makes the goalie do, must screw up something in the game stats which is why it refers to that offset in the error screen.

2b) Whenever the goalie handles a shot or a pass, the crowd usually cheers. Offsett 99C7 is before the crowd meter data. Perhaps his location was altered and his new location is "confusing" the crowd cheer therefore causing the game to crash.

I then changed the "9999" to "5555" and got a similar screen which references offset 55CC. This falls not too far after the team roster data. I have no idea what comes after the teams in the code. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Changing the value to D500 changes the goalie sprite to a forward sprite that doesn't move unless you take manual control of him, at which time he changes into the proper goalie sprite. Weird but interesting

To clarify my statement from above stating that this could be one of the most interesting finds EVER, I truly mean that and it is not an overreaction. This stuff CLEARLY manipulates the player behavior and if we crack this, it will let us alter the AI.

Does anyone else have anything to add to these findings?

You can't give the goalie the puck in the offensive zone - the game does have the rule in it where goalies cannot handle the puck past the red line (instituted in 1966 or 67 after Gary Smith of Toronto attempted to score a goal and was decked by J.C. Tremblay of the Canadiens) and the game will automatically halt play when the goalie gets the puck. Also, when you change value D51C at offset 00018D9E, which makes the goalie go up with the rush, the goalie won't enter the goal crease.

Maybe if we alter this enough we could get a modified ROM for seven-man hockey.

OT Setar, but you reminded me of a story when I used to referee kid's hockey games. The game was very one sided and the goalie got bored and joined the rush. I was fully aware of the red line rule you just mentioned and whistled the goalie for a 2 minute delay of game penalty and I proceeded to get cursed out by coaches of BOTH teams. Their reasoning was "they are just kids" and my argument back to them was "well I don't care how old they are, the rules of the game do not change because of the age of the participants". If anything, it taught everyone a valuable lesson about the rules and the kids should learn and be familiar with the rules when they are young IMO if they want to go anywhere in the game.

Getting back to the topic at hand, I did some further experimenting on this last night. I only worked with that value that causes the goalie to join the rush. Changing it to CD00 makes the goalie use the defenseman AI (I call this "Rick DiPietro Mode") . I then realized that the values surrounding this control the player behavors so I figured I might get somewhere by changing this value to the ones around it and found the following:

Changing it to D500 makes the goalie take on a skater sprite which doesn't move. If you take manual control of him, he turns back into a goalie sprite.

Changing it to CD1C had a weird effect, it turned one goalie into a skater that doesn't move just like D500, but the other goalie acts like a defenseman.

CDE0 makes him behave like a Dman (possibly CD00 is RD and CDE0 is a LD)

CF9A makes him behave like a forward and fully joins the rush in the offensive zone, however the whistle is blown whenever he gets the puck.

D09C appears to contradict the above because it made the goalie skate up the wing and once he got the puck, he skated it all the way back to his crease and froze the puck for a faceoff.

D1E8 made him behave like a center and had him hanging around center ice waiting for a pass just like the real center does.

CC4E had a quite humorous effect, it made the goalies skate around before the faceoff and during play, switching between the goalie sprite to the celebrating after a goal/win sprite where the forwards raise their arms with their sticks in the air.

CBFA made them skate around holding up the Stanley Cup.

C882 makes them spazz out, looks like a frozen animation.

This is all extremely interesting, It shows that the AI can be manipulated by player. It would be interesting if all the players could behave like defensemen whenever they are on a penalty kill. I would like to see other people continue to experiment with this and post your findings.

• 4 years later...
....6700 to 0000....teams pulling there goalie on their PP after a penalty has been called.

I find this to be very interesting, but I couldn't figure out exactly which values needed to be changed. I'd like to test this, preferably in EA Hockey or SNES '94. I know it's a long shot request, but feel free to reply with anything.