NHL'94 Forums

REFERENCE: NHL94 Rink Tile Layout

wboy

The link below includes a graphic I put together to help me easily edit/rotate the rink tiles layout for my NHL06/30 Team rom template (e.g. when modifying the crease etc) many yonders ago.

NHL94_Rink_Grid.png (right click > Save As)

MS Paint Print setup for best printing results:

Microsoft_Paint_Page_Setup.png (right click > Save As)

Shouldn't be too hard to work out for those who have dabbled in a bit of hex editing. I've emailed it to a few in the past who have asked my assistance in edit tiles layouts and I think in general it has helped and made the process less frustrating.

The rink layout is quite generic between 91 thru 94 (and possibly 95). Note though the different years will have a different tile source image to that shown here (94).

[PM post I am posting here as it will be usual to others]

hell yes they are reused many times over! :P

games of that era had limited graphics memory, thus a small tiles set with layout bytes optimised the recreation of the rink.

that graphic I posted helps concept wise, but unless you can apply it to 94, don't try 93 or you won't learn or know what you are really doing (you'll fail, trust me).

use my post and hack 94 first... when you got that under raps, you'll have the basics of approaching 93.. though you may have a hurdle or two.. at which come back and ask me.

the offsets in that image (for 94) refer to the tile layout bytes.... the bytes are structured as follows...

- the first digit of 4 (stored in two bytes) implies which color palette and orientation (use's GEN's debug GPU (VPU?) to see the palettes and grasp the concept better):

0 - Palette 1

1 - Palette 1 - Vertical Flip

2 - Palette 2

3 - Palette 2 - Vertical Flip

4 - Palette 3

5 - Palette 3 - Vertical Flip

6 - Palette 4

7 - Palette 4 - Vertical Flip

Somewhat irrelevant for rinks...

8 - Overlay Sprites - Palette 1

9 - Overlay Sprites - Palette 1 - Vertical Flip

A - Overlay Sprites - Palette 2

B - Overlay Sprites - Palette 2 - Vertical Flip

C - Overlay Sprites - Palette 3

D - Overlay Sprites - Palette 3 - Vertical Flip

E - Overlay Sprites - Palette 4

F - Overlay Sprites - Palette 4 - Vertical Flip

- The remaining 3 digits tell the rom which tile to use (reference the top left corner tiles).

NOTE THIS IS STILL NOT EASY!!! Have an open mind.. don't get frustrated... you'll get there... but it will take time. A lot of people give up trying this!

My spare time is extremely limited, so I'll leave you there for now!

Hi wboy :D

I am hoping you can help me..! I am trying to edit the crease in NHLPA'93 but unfortunately some of the tiles seem to used more than once and it comes out looking like this...

editedcreasefg0.th.jpg

Can you help me wboy -_-

• 5 months later...

Not sure it's possible to send files by PM... Here they are, hosted on the actual forum.

post-253-1247666475_thumb.png

post-253-1247666496_thumb.png

(note: i had to shrink the rink grid pic -- it was too big for the forum to handle)

For the rink grid, you can upload a bigger pic on Image hosting sites like Imageshack or PicOodle

the shrunk one is still useful. the original was enlarged 3 times, so i made it only enlarged 2 times.

if you open it in MSPaint an image editor and enlarge 150% in "nearest neighbor" mode, the tiles will be exactly the same as in the original, although the text will be a bit blurry...

(i'm at work, can't do much with these things from here)

Edited by smozoma

if you open it in MSPaint an image editor and enlarge 150% in "nearest neighbor" mode, the tiles will be exactly the same as in the original, although the text will be a bit blurry...

(i'm at work, can't do much with these things from here)

Nevermind, the links now fully work and I can get the original file

• 9 years later...

Dug this up on @swos old site and found it useful.  Same info as wboy's above but not tied to the rink and a nice big font for us old folks.  I've also attached a text file with the hex values of the tiles for the rink layout. 

First digit:

1 - Ice (366884, 1st palette)

2 - Rink (366884, 2nd palette)

3 - Home team palette

4 - Away team palette

Second digit:

To flip horizontally, change from 0 to 1 (or 1 to 2)

To flip vertically, change from 0 to 8 (or 1 to 9)

Rink tiles.gif

Rink layout text.txt

• Thanks 2

• 3 years later...
On 7/15/2009 at 10:03 AM, smozoma said:

Not sure it's possible to send files by PM... Here they are, hosted on the actual forum.

post-253-1247666475_thumb.png

post-253-1247666496_thumb.png

(note: i had to shrink the rink grid pic -- it was too big for the forum to handle)

@smozoma Do you by any chance still have the original resolution Gridded PNG? My eyes are having a difficult time reading the text…

1 hour ago, AdamCatalyst said:

@smozoma Do you by any chance still have the original resolution Gridded PNG? My eyes are having a difficult time reading the text…

Unfortunately, I do not. It's not on the computer I built in 2013, and that post was from 2009. It's very gone.

Are you using the right-click, "open image in new tab" trick to get the larger image? Or this direct link https://forum.nhl94.com/uploads/monthly_07_2009/post-253-1247666475.png

If this helps - here's an updated version of wboy's graphic + the reverse angle version used in instant replays. The difference is the extra spacing used behind the bench, the scorekeepers and the modified areas between the benches. If you match up the tile layout to the offsets, it will give you an idea of placements.

ICE-LAYOUT.png

ICE-LAYOUT-REV.png

Edited by Drezz
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Drezz said:

If this helps - here's an updated version of wboy's graphic + the reverse angle version used in instant replays. The difference is the extra spacing used behind the bench, the scorekeepers and the modified areas between the benches. If you match up the tile layout to the offsets, it will give you an idea of placements.

If this "helps'!?!?!?!? THIS IS LIKE AN EARLY BIRTHDAY GIFT!!!! Amazing. Thank you so much.

• Thanks 1

Some new resources for any fellow travellers who happen upon this thread.

PDF (1.5 megs) - This contains a map of every tile used in the NHL 94 rink. There are five pages, two of which are blank, so that you can extract them, or add your own rink watermark to them. The last page shows the exact settings that were used in Adobe Acrobat to import the rink image to be aligned with the grid. 

PSD (40 megs) - This Photoshop file uses the previously aforementioned PDF, to create a template where you can easily insert your own rink image. You will need to scale your rink image up 1000% (use Nearest Neighbour) and then simply paste it into a layer (centred). No rink images have been included to reduce the file size.

EDIT: I have replaced the previously attached resources with more, better, and smaller files that you can download from this post: 

Edited by AdamCatalyst
Replaced outdated resources.
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 3

One more resource.

PSD (5 megs) - This Photoshop file contains a lookup table for each tile in the rink tileset. Scale your own tileset up to 10x (nearest neighbour), insert it on a layer, and the overly will tell you the address to specify for each tile. 

EDIT: I have replaced the previously attached resources with more, better, and smaller files that you can download from this post: 

Edited by AdamCatalyst
Replaced outdated resources.
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK, one question remains for me. I re-did the trapezoid line, and now at the bottom of the ice where the trapezoid is overlapped with the glass, players skate behind the trapezoid line, instead of on top of it. Clearly I am doing something wrong, which means I am not understanding something. Can anyone help me out?

NHL 94 [h] 2023 AC v3a8 - 2023 02 28 2023-02-28 12.36.45.png

Curious what led to this. Seems that it only affects the section of the lines that overlap with the glass, but that section of ice would have three layers with the ice, player and glass. So does this mean there are four now?

Did you only redraw the ice lines? Or was there more to it, with reordering tiles and such.

@von Ozbourne It was exactly what @Jkline3 said.

@Jkline3 Have I told you today that you're beautiful?

To the community at large, I was thinking of starting a new post, clarifying some of this stuff, and offering a how-too on the Rink & Sideboards. I don't like the idea of starting redundant threads, but I do think it would be useful to consolidate and expand on what we know about this stuff. Well, useful for me, so I don't forget!

• Love 1
  • Like 1

You have not. I learned that one the hard way when I was simplifying the rink layout to try and free up some tiles for other uses.

5 minutes ago, AdamCatalyst said:

To the community at large, I was thinking of starting a new post, clarifying some of this stuff, and offering a how-too on the Rink & Sideboards. I don't like the idea of starting redundant threads, but I do think it would be useful to consolidate and expand on what we know about this stuff. Well, useful for me, so I don't forget!

I say absolutely... When I saw your post last night I had to go digging through my '94 notebook and sort through a bunch of scribbles to find that tile layout structure. Especially considering some of the new stuff that's come to light recently I think maybe some of these could use a refresher.

• Like 1

Agreed! There's a lot of very useful info out there that could be compiled in a PDF like Raph's cheat sheet. Things like rink tile layouts,  background screens, player portraits and sound!

• 1 month later...