NHL'94 Forums

Hockey History Quiz #1 - The Origins Of The Hockey Net

clockwise

6 members have voted

1. 1. Who is credited with inventing the Hockey Net Mesh?

• Early Coaches of the the Pacific Coast Hockey Assocation (Played the NHA for the Stanley Cup winning in 1915 and 1917)
    • The first recreational hockey players of Montreal Quebec
    • James Creighton, credited for organizing the first recorded indoor ice hockey match
    • Fishermen of Halifax, Nova Scotia
    • The Patrick family - Lester and Frank Patrick founder of the PCHA

For the thousands of rules, equipment, and rink modifications to the game of hockey over the last 150+ years official hockey nets have seen few changes.

The goal mouth metric has been 6 X 4 feet before the red and blue line were adopted in the game of hockey (the blue line was instated in 1918, and the calendar year of 1943 saw the introduction of the red line).

But the distance of the goal has been moved from the end boards many times, from 5 feet at the games inception, from at least 10 to 15 feet in 1909, and most notably in 1990 as a result of "Gretzky's Office" the league felt compelled to increase the space behind the net by a foot and eliminating 2 feet of neutral zone with which players have to maneuver.

However, designs of the goal *size have also been reshaped minimally from time to time too. Art Ross's first official "double bubble" style net was invented in the dawn of the 1900's, and was phased out in the 1984-85 season for today's modern cage. Due in no small part to Mark Howe (son of Gordie) rupturing his rectum on the middle stabilizing post which a player could be dangerously impaled if the net became overturned, as it did in 1980 at a Islanders home game.

And the methods for which the net has been secured to the ice have evolved by way of necessity. The original Art Ross goals were fashioned into the ice by unforgiving immovable iron pegs embedded into the concrete below the sheet of ice. Many injuries have been sustained by players blowing a tire, or losing an edge and crashing into the posts. By 1984 Dennis Meggs and Terry Riley developed the Megg-Net which was kept in place by magnets rather than being embedded into the ice with iron pegs. The Megg net lasted until the 1993 season when it was replaced in favor of the modern marsh pegs. This change was ultimately made because the Megg-Net net was prone to becoming easily dislodged as the magnets weakened and the season wore on.

There is little debate as to whether Art Ross and Percy LeSueur are responsible for the first standard hockey net, but who invented the actual "net"?

In the origins of hockey the goal only had two posts mounted in the ice. So, the question is, venerable hockey fans, who are the indigenous peoples that invented the actual net, webbing, or mesh that was attached to the goal?

The answer will be divulged one week from today.

Guest Houlanov

The first hockey goal didn't have a net at all. The goal was just two rocks placed on the ice at each end of the rink. Eventually the rocks were replaced by two posts. Where the idea to add a net came from, we may never know. But as early as 1896, Niagara players from the Southern Ontario Hockey Association used a fishing net, fastened to the goal posts, to avoid arguments over goals. Nets were quickly adopted across Canada.

Correct, as I articulated the origins of the hockey goal didn't have any mesh, or net. So it's still a pertinent point, I suppose maybe a somewhat ancillary one - as a concomitant. And Mr. Ross is credited with the first official goal with a net, at least the advertisements offering the product are the first circulated. Still many teams goals didn't have goals to the exact dimensions until the directive was issued to have all nets inspected league wide in 1961, after Jacques Plante noticed that the crossbar at the old Chicago Stadium touched his back at a different spot than the Montreal Forum.

But no umbrage taken, however, there is documentation - from the literature before me, that indicates one of the aforementioned answers are correct as the first press clippings of a net being attached to a goal are credited to one of them. I'd say it's more than an inference, having two papers report the sight.

I'll probably do a bunch of these quizzes. I think this place needs it right now.

The first hockey goal didn't have a net at all. The goal was just two rocks placed on the ice at each end of the rink. Eventually the rocks were replaced by two posts. Where the idea to add a net came from, we may never know. But as early as 1896, Niagara players from the Southern Ontario Hockey Association used a fishing net, fastened to the goal posts, to avoid arguments over goals. Nets were quickly adopted across Canada.

[citation required]

Guest Houlanov

hahaha houlanov you cheater!

dont cheat with english better then yours hahah

Clock this is great. please do more of these!

[/quote/]

I make a research on Web, dont be a paranoiac ant

I didnt know that it is necessary to register the link

its just a quiz for fun...respect the community dude im tired of you