NHL'94 Forums

greatest goalie of all time?

donnybrook

with martin brodeur tying patrick roys career record in wins, and it only be a matter of time before he breaks it, for me it raises a very debatable question, who IS the greatest goaltender of all time? for me its gotta be terry sawchuk. he was probably the most consistant goalie of all time. he holds the record for career shutouts (103) and career ties (172), also terry sawchuk finished his career with 447 wins, a record witch stood for 30 years.

so im curious who you guys think is the greatest of all time.

And then he won the Cup with the Red Wings and lived up to his reputation as the Dominator. And his slinky for a spine.

Roy, Belfour and Fuhr might be in the debate too.

games played to wins ratio. who ever has the highest wins in my books..

That's a terribly misleading way to evaluate goaltenders. Remember, the goaltender's stats isn't entirely his own doing, but is also the byproduct of the team he is on. Guy Hebert, John Vanbiesbrouck and Bill Ranford were damn good goalies; unfortunately for them, they weren't on great teams for the bulk of their careers.

Using your "ratio", you could probably argue that a friggin' BUM like Dany Sabourin is a better goalie than Josh Harding (which is a most laughable thing for anyone to believe).

That's a terribly misleading way to evaluate goaltenders. Remember, the goaltender's stats isn't entirely his own doing, but is also the byproduct of the team he is on. Guy Hebert, John Vanbiesbrouck and Bill Ranford were damn good goalies; unfortunately for them, they weren't on great teams for the bulk of their careers.

Using your "ratio", you could probably argue that a friggin' BUM like Dany Sabourin is a better goalie than Josh Harding (which is a most laughable thing for anyone to believe).

I meant for the broduer/roy most wins thing...

I meant for the broduer/roy most wins thing...

It's still a terrible way to evaluate goaltenders, regardless of career totals. Brodeur and Roy were both on good teams for virtually their entire careers; therefore, they had every opportunity to pad their respective win columns. I like to evaluate goaltenders based on the quality of their play. Regardless of what methods you take, ranking goalies will always be subjective rather than definitive.

I rate Fuhr ahead of Roy, but not ahead of Brodeur. I feel bad for great goalies like Fuhr. Fuhr is easily one of the greatest goalies ever, but won't get the recognition he deserves from future generations because the future generations will only be subjected to the numbers put up by overpadded goalies and goalies who were fortunate enough to have the longetivity needed to put up such numbers, and who were lucky enough to play for great teams at the end of their careers.

While all goalies with great win totals played for good teams in their careers, I would have to say that the goalie who did the most with the least amount of talent in front of him would have to be Dominik Hasek from 1994-1999. Despite that, Tretiak and Brodeur are still 1 and 2 on my list. I also have Fuhr, Hasek, and Roy rounding out my list of greatest goalies ever. If I would've named any maskless goalies, I would have named Sawchuk and Hall (Hall's records are especially impressive).