NHL'94 Forums

Pokerchamp league update

pokrchamp

I must say I've been very suprised by the overall balance of the SNES A league.

I'm beating guys that are in turn beating the guys that killed me??? Maybe certain matchups

are better than others.

So far the class of the league would have to be deer & rudy. Deer plays really amazing with

Quebec & seems to know them inside & out. Quebec has 3 solid balanced forwards & 2 rather

weak D-man. Deer seems to play to the strenghts rather well and its never just 1 forward that

kills ya.

Rudy is a great player who has a great team. Detroit has a great 5 man unit. Everyone can score

I think Detroit is the toughest matchup for my team personally. I think there top 5 with there set of

forwards & top 3 with Coffey & Chaisson on D. I'm not sure what to do vs Rudy, I'm

thinking neutral zone trap!!

Honorable mention to Chicago MIke who's come on super strong lately. 8-2 in his last ten for

the best streak out there. He plays the perfect style with Chicago & is super tough on D.

The most intense game I had this year was vs Mike, I had a 1-0 lead early & felt like I couldn't

let him score cause I may not get another.

I kinda wish the games were alittle more meaningful. I like pressure packed games!!

But I think this season will give everyone a chance to think of the best way to setup

the next.

Anyone who is lacking on games maybe you could post a time when you will be available to

knock off a bunch!!!!

I don't want any 1-0 wins or DFN's

Nice post, a lot of very good observations.

I appreciate your comments on my play with Quebec, thanks man! As much as I make good use of all three of my forward in most games (some games I try to do too much with Sundin though), I don't know if I'm as lethal with any of my forwards as you can be with Selanne. I remember one exhibition game we played where you beat me 8-5 and Teemu scored all eight goals........ and had a perfect chance at nine with a penalty shot, but Stephane Fiset came up with the save (Hextall was on the bench in tears from what Selanne had done to him haha).

I totally hear ya on how tough Detroit is to play against.......... last year I lost my game to Detroit 9-3, this year I lost it 7-2. Thank God I only play them once per year. HOWEVER, in our "championships" my friends and I have, we've all tried using Detroit, and I can't recall anyone ever winning the title with them. People make the finals with them, but never win- it's like they're missing something. However, Rudy could prove us wrong this season, as he's certainly looking like a league title contender. He's much improved over his season last year with the Canucks.

I agree that Mike so far has had the best defense in the league. I've been playing a fair bit of exhibitions against him lately, and I totally agree that you have to really work to score a goal against him. You can't just dipsy-doodle or try to go end-to-end like you can against some weaker opponents; he nails you on the first try every time, and his positioning of his dmen is excellent. You have to come up with something creative and surprise him in order to score.

Agree totally on the balance in this league. Just look at my last game. Heading into the game, I think I had the league's best winning %, and I think Lethal had the league's worst, but he beat me, and it wasn't a fluke by any means- he flat-out outplayed me, and it felt like he could beat me again if we played another one. Pretty much anyone in this league can beat pretty much anyone else on any given night. And there are a few coaches who are off to slow starts that I know are far, far better than their records, and I don't think we've heard the last from them.