NHL'94 Forums

Playoff commentary organization

Setar

Since the playoffs are very near, I really want to try and get game recording + commentary organized.

First off for Gens - I know that with the way the game works, Kaillera could allow people to "watch" games and not actually play. This would make Gens games easier to record as the players could play and someone else could commentate and record. This would allow the players to concentrate on the game, making for better games.

For ZSNES, I don't know if Zbattle would allow a third party to watch and do the commentary, so the commentating would LIKELY come from one of the players, making it a bit harder.

So who's in? I'm going to try to do some series, but I don't have a proper mic and until I can get one, I'll have to commentate through my headphones, which will muffle my voice. I know that there were a few other people who liked this idea, so let's see how it goes.

Guest cr0ssbar94
Since the playoffs are very near, I really want to try and get game recording + commentary organized.

First off for Gens - I know that with the way the game works, Kaillera could allow people to "watch" games and not actually play. This would make Gens games easier to record as the players could play and someone else could commentate and record. This would allow the players to concentrate on the game, making for better games.

For ZSNES, I don't know if Zbattle would allow a third party to watch and do the commentary, so the commentating would LIKELY come from one of the players, making it a bit harder.

So who's in? I'm going to try to do some series, but I don't have a proper mic and until I can get one, I'll have to commentate through my headphones, which will muffle my voice. I know that there were a few other people who liked this idea, so let's see how it goes.

Do you call the games live? Or afterwards?

My understanding - and I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong - is that there isn't a good working version of GENS that allows for recording a live netplay game in progress.

What we do have is GENS Movie Maker which allows for recording a game in AVI format - but not during netplay. Some attempts have been made to marry movie making with netplay, but the resulting lag has been an absolute nightmare.

We do have a version of GENS that allows for 'save state' during netplay (attached). We've used it successfully in the 2on2 league, and although I haven't used it for a game using the standard NHL94 rom I have no reason to believe it wouldn't work.

What this would theoretically allow is for each player to save state after up to about 10 game 'events', which dumps everything including the instant replay buffer to a file that can be reloaded later. I believe that's up to 20 save states per game. After the game, these states can be opened with GENS Movie Maker and used to create AVI files that can then be edited into a highlight reel. Except for the netplay part, that's how clockwise created this little slice of

. Unfortunately I don't think our GENS brothers can quite replicate what Auggie and Zyzzyvas created in the SNES world, but this might not be a bad first step. I'd be willing to do it in the playoffs if others are.

gens_netplaysave.zip

There is a program called Camtasia Studio that I use for recording with Gens. It's like Fraps, only it can record individual windows. My version is cracked to remove the annoying limit and such. It allows audio recording as well, so I can commentate live.

There is a program called Camtasia Studio that I use for recording with Gens. It's like Fraps, only it can record individual windows. My version is cracked to remove the annoying limit and such. It allows audio recording as well, so I can commentate live.

Does it work during netplay? If so, does it affect lag?