NHL'94 Forums

Nothing Better Than '94

Brad1981

It's just too bad that it had to end here. They really had something special. The gameplay engine was perfect. I just hope that one day the source code is released so that this great series can be revived. Is there anything Mark Lesser can do? It would be great if he could use the source code to update this, while keeping the same game engine. Even if there are logistical issues, such as EA's ownership, why can't EA just release the code on their own? I mean, the game is over a decade old, and the 16-bit gaming systems are obsolete.

It would just be wonderful if the NHL '94 engine could be updated with features such as fighting, season mode, drop passes, block shots, etc...

It would be a great day in the hockey gaming world.

for sure. i always thought the ultimate game would be '94 with fighting from '93 and the fake shot from '95, even the block shot too. But now that I think of it, the scores would look like football scores if the fake shot was implemented. Wait a minute, the scores already look like football scores when I play OneTimer1981, he's a noob.

I personally think the fighting in NHL 96 (Genesis) is the greatest.. When you drag the opponents jersey over his head and throws him to the ground and you can lay off a pair of punches.. That sound is just awesome! :D Not a particular fan of fighting in real life hockey, but in games it's cool. Unfortunately there aren't too many that manages to pull it of well.. I recall I liked the system they use in Hitz Pro (a random button appears that you have to hammer). Most of the EA games fail miserably though..

A more controlled "flip-pass", fake shot, drop pass and a season mode and fighting of course, that would just be simply awesome. Oh and yeah, a difficulty setting. And one thing that's in particular for SNES: More slapshot goals! One thing that a game had (don't remember which one) was that, if you press and hold the pass button for a while, you would "lob pass", that was pretty nifty.

Well, one can always dream. And to top it of they would of course have to do all 3 '94 versions. ^^