NHL'94 Forums

Goalie Question

Guest ibleedblue

Guest ibleedblue

I've been doing some early 90s ROM hacks and have a question about goalies. Is there something in the game that dictates which one will be the starter? I copied some ratings from NHL97 and who the game selects as the starter is very inconsistent. For example, for the Florida Panthers, even though Beezer is the default goalie in the line setup and he's the first goalie listed in the team roster, the game always puts in Mark Fitzpatrick. It even changes the goalie on the intro screens when the players are scrolling across. Anyone have any thoughts/ideas?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

In NHLPA 93, the Goalie bytes dictate how likely it is for that goalie to be the starter. For instance, if you were to change the Goalie bytes on Chicago to 111F, you'll see a lot of Ray Leblanc. So be sure Florida's goalie bytes are in favor if John Vanbiesbrouck instead of Mark Fitzpatrick. (Such as A300 or something)

• 3 weeks later...

In NHLPA 93, the Goalie bytes dictate how likely it is for that goalie to be the starter. For instance, if you were to change the Goalie bytes on Chicago to 111F, you'll see a lot of Ray Leblanc. So be sure Florida's goalie bytes are in favor if John Vanbiesbrouck instead of Mark Fitzpatrick. (Such as A300 or something)

Could you further explain this please.

• 2 months later...

I don't really have much in the way of technical details. However, I have spent time on the menu screen swapping back and forth to a specific team, watching the frequency which each goalie appears on it and it definitely has a higher chance to select the goalie with the highest byte regardless of if the goalie is in the first slot in the roster.

I found that the bytes themselves are taken from the GP stat from each goalie using the previous seasons stats and that I can accurately determine the goalie bytes for certain goalies by using the following formula.

X = Y / (Z / 15)

Where X is the Goalie byte, Y is the goalie's GP stat, and Z is the total games of the previous NHL Season.

Here are a couple examples:

Detroit Goalie Bytes: E210

Tim Cheveldae: 72 / 5.333333* = 13.5 (Round up to 14)
Greg Mullen: 10 / 5.333333* = 1.875 (Round up to 2)
Vincent Riendeau: 2 / 5.333333* 0.375 (Round up to 1)^

Chicago Goalie Bytes: A431

Ed Belfour: 52 / 5.333333* = 9.75 (Round up to 10)
Dominik Hasek: 20 / 5.333333* = 3.75 (Round up to 4)
Jim Waite: 17 / 5.333333* = 3.1875 (Round down to 3)
Ray LeBlanc: 1 / 5.333333* = 0.1875 (Round up to 1)^

* 80 / 15 = 5.33333333333333333333333333333333 Very long string of 3s
^ Anything below 1 has to be rounded up to 1.

I don't know if this is still true with later versions of the game, such as in season mode if it makes it more likely for the game to simulate a specific goalie in net for more games when they have a higher byte versus one with a lower byte or something like that. I have noticed that in an unmodified version of the game, all goalie bytes are set C for starter, 1 for all other goalies in all of the games beyond '95, if it will do anything if I change the bytes, I don't know yet. Perhaps I should simulate some seasons on one of them playing around with goalie bytes and see what results come up.

• Like 1

good stuff. we could use your skills at the SNES '94 club.