NHL'94 Forums

NYR - FLA 4-game series. 3 wins for the Rangers, 1 for the Panthers in OT.

smozoma

When Carse said before the games that he depends on the defence to score for him, he wasn't kidding.

Game 1 was a tight one.

As I predicted before the season, it didn't take long for a Ranger goalie to get the hook, the Beezer being pulled after a slapshot goal that put FLA up 1-0. The Rangers came back, getting a 3-2 lead, but then James Patrick on the Rangers corralled the loose puck in front of the Rangers net and dumped it in behind a confused and rather irate Mike Richter to give Florida the equalizer. However, with 20 seconds to go, Mark Messier beat the "other" Beezer (Florida and NYR both have John Vanbiesbrouk) with a floater to the far side to seal the game for the Rangers.

Game 2 wasn't so tight.

The Rangers hopped out to an early 4-0 lead, the NYR one-timers coming from every direction. The FLA Beezer was quickly pulled for Mark Fitzpatrick. Florida got on the board when none other than James Patrick scored on himself AGAIN. I thought Carse meant he depended on HIS defencemen to score for him, but apparently he meant MINE. The game ended in a 6-3 victory for the Rangers, Messier scoring 3 and helping on 2 others. Gord Murphy, star defenceman for the Panthers seemed to be mounting a comeback, but the Rangers held on.

Game 3 was the tightest yet!

A hard-fought game brought the teams into overtime, where Mike Hough put a "bullet" from the hash marks past Mike Richter to win the game for Florida, 3-2.

Game 4 was pretty tight, too.

The Rangers walked away from this one with a 2-1 win (Gord Murphy again giving the Rangers a scare by scoring a late goal to bring the Panthers within 1) and 3-1 record to start the season.