smozoma

Admin
  • Posts

    8,034
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    109

Everything posted by smozoma

  1. My CDL3 teams analysis (likely missing some trades) https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1102453443
  2. C00268 - Magnolia, Delaware, United States H22749 - South Plainfield, New Jersey, United States K14112 - Red Bud, Illinois, United States
  3. Thanks for the questions! 34-team 95: Point me to a compatible roms.ini for that and I'll add it in the next update! I assume the 34-team ROM has a custom ID string in order to tell them apart? Don't want to break the editing of the original game. " thoughts on having menu option functionality for the NHL 96-98 games?" I don't know what this is about, I've only ever used it for Sega 94 :). Give me some more details? This is specifically about SNES 96-98? Antivirus: Interesting! I wonder what's different about the EXE i'm producing... It could be that the antivirus is familiar with the old NOSE already somehow, since many people have used it in the past..
  4. This thread is for new test versions of NOSE, with new features. Let me know if you have any problems with it (did I break anything??) The installation instructions are the same as for the 'official' NOSE, see here. If you have previously done the steps 3 and 4 from there, you don't need to do them again. v1.2c - 2020-Sep-26 New features: NOSE remembers the directory where you last opened/saved a ROM You can associate NOSE with .bin ROM files in windows so they can be opened by double-clicking (instructions) NOSE-1.2c-beta-2020-09-26.zip Future Features? NOSE keeps a list of your 10 most recently-opened ROMs in the File menu. Applying simple mods/hacks like the weight bug fix. Super Nintendo ROM support (this will be a slow, progressive feature. First version will probably simply open a SNES ROM and display teams and players but not allow editing. 2nd version might allow changing team/player names but not the number of players. 3rd ... more improvements each time.)
  5. B04224 - @ac3100 would I be correct in guessing you're from Ontario? B06347 - London, ON, Canada (ebay) B07616 - Ottawa, ON, Canada (smozoma)
  6. C02137 - Reading, Massachusetts, United States I wonder if we would have found anything interesting by tracking the locations of these things. Previously listed: 04212 - Massachusetts (Gretzky) 04414 - Fresno, California, United States A24615 - Calgary, Alberta, Canada B04224 - @ac3100?? B06347 - London, ON, Canada B07616 - Ottawa, ON, Canada (smozoma) B26834 - Landenberg, Pennsylvania, United States C02137 - Reading, Massachusetts, United States C23944 - Beaverton, Oregon, United States F05397 - Fergus, Ontario, Canada G12624 - Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada H01987 - Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania, United States J19857 - Gadsden, Alabama, United States K20764 - Celina, Ohio, United States L09129 - Stollings, West Virginia, United States
  7. I might have it backwards! Is your 'banner' different? It's red and green in the usual ROM we use
  8. Success! So definitely ~348k of these. I read that Madden (91?) sold 400k. Supposedly NHL94 outsold Madden94. Wish these sales numbers were available somewhere.
  9. 04195 I'd be really interested in knowing if these non-lettered carts are the ones with the alternate Devils uniforms (green as secondary colour instead of black). @Gretzky ?
  10. @INDIOcan you re-post the ROM? Something went wrong with the attachment! Weird, I"ve never seen that before!
  11. You're right (I was ignoring that on purpose, as though there were an infinite number of sets). That changes B=0.9999655 to 0.9999684. Changes our current odds of "no match" to 60.01% (or 39.99% odds of a match). But I think that's still not exact because each sampled cart reduces the 348000..347999..347998... But 39.99% is closer to the true value than 43% from before!
  12. This is very similar to the Birthday Problem (you'd think it would be hard to find 2 people with the same birthday, but by checking 23 people there's a 50/50 chance of finding a duplicate) Birthdays are completely independent, but in our case we're not being exact because each time you see a code, it reduces the odds of finding the same number by 1/12 but also increases it by..1/29000? But anyway ignore that... https://betterexplained.com/articles/understanding-the-birthday-paradox/ We have about 180 codes so far, not counting the un-lettered codes. pairs: 180*179/2=16110 = A The chance of 2 codes NOT being the same (pretending it's totally independent): 28999/29000 = 0.9999655 = B Then the chances of getting this many codes without a match is: B^A = (28999/29000)^16110 = 0.5737 So at this point we have a 57% chance to have NOT seen a match. 43% chance to have seen a match. At 200 codes, we'll be pretty close to 50/50.
  13. H22749 I figure we should include pictures otherwise we could just be making these up! These are a few mentioned yesterday, already in the list:
  14. It's crazy that Blades of Steel predicted the name of the new Minnesota NHL team while the old North Stars were still there. They also predicted that the Birmingham Rangers would move to Hartford in 1997 and become the Wolves (Wolf Pack) And Ottawa's mascot is a Lion. ... Oh wait, are Ottawa and Hartford new teams that you added? Whoops yeah: "the eight new teams were also given related team names. If anyone wants to guess the process that went into choosing names. " Winnipeg Foxes - no idea Quebec Tigers - There's a QMJHL "Tigres" team (victoriaville I think?) Hartford Wolves - Wolf Pack Ottawa Lions - Spartacat lion mascot Detroit Racers - ... they made cars there? Philadelphia Hammers - Dave "The Hammer" Schultz Boston Pursuits - ... I don't wanna be chased by an indefatigable bear... Calgary Anvils - Anvil.. Forge.. Fire.. Flames?
  15. It seems like more than half the boxes I see have the sticker, so 348k (~500k total in circulation) seems a lot more likely than 29k (~50k total in circulation).
  16. The unlettered numbers, so far the highest is 04244. So I suspect it was a limited run of 5000. Also, the counts of each letter so far: A-L is 12 letters. 12x29,000 = 348,000 I suspect that at some point we'll see a duplicate number (we still don't have a 1-apart, though we have a bunch of 8-aparts)
  17. The file is at the bottom of the first post, NHL94REWIND_SNES.smc
  18. Some more seen on ebay.ca. Prices are getting high! 01743 04244 A24615 B01322 B06347 b26834 C23944 F05397 G09048 G12624 H18125 ?? blurry J19857 K20295 L09129
  19. Good question. I think it needs a microSD card (example, max of 32GB to avoid problems) to store the data. Which requires a reader/writer device (example) unless your computer has one build-in (which isn't common anymore)
  20. As far as I know, Rewind is actually still essentially just a modded ROM, not made from source code. It's a 3rd-party creation using a custom-made emulator that can augment the emulator games. Scroll to the very bottom of their homepage, it's called Arsenal, "The ROM Supercharger" https://www.emptyclipstudios.com/
  21. Would be amazing if the code were released, but I'm pretty sure they lost it or it's on a long-obsolete hard drive or tape backup in a storage room somewhere. "Source control" wasn't really a thing back then. For example the source for one of my favourite games/expansions, Homeworld:Cataclysm, from 2000, is lost: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeworld:_Cataclysm#Legacy
  22. There isn't even online play on the Xbox/PS versions (unless you use shareplay (screensharing) on PS)
  23. Here's a thread with some work that was done on it. He seemed to have figured out a bit about note lengths and pitches. https://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/19935-editing-musicsounds-in-nhl-94-a-start/ It probably is quite similar to MIDI music: https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~music/cmsip/readings/MIDI tutorial for programmers.html
  24. In theory, yes. You can't just stick a recording/MP3 into the game, you need to write the musical notes & timings into the game data. Unfortunately no one here has really figured out all the details of how to write the music data.