NHL'94 Forums

Forefits revisited

IPv6Freely

I think those are some good ideas. My general issue with handling FFs is that I think the overriding factor should be coach availability, not coach record. Last year the only game I couldn't get played was vs. kgman, who surely would have cleaned my clock. I tried incredibly hard to get that game done, but couldn't connect with the mysterious master of NHL94. Personally, I would have felt the victim of injustice to receive 0 points for that, when I was doing everything I could to play. Giving people with good records rewards for not playing opponents (play opponent = probably 2 points, duck opponent = guaranteed 2 points) might create unanticipated problems. (My focus is more on the coaches who are not getting their games played, while I think contextually your focus is more on the other coaches who are affected in the standings changes caused by FFs. Both are valid concerns.)

I think for next year we are trying something similar to the following. It probably isn't perfect, but I think it's worth trying for a season to see how it goes before passing judgment. (I certainly agree with your assessment that the best thing is for everyone to get their games played so we never have to deal with FFs at all, and to that end I believe the admins will be much more on top of that situation this season.)

Keep the suggestions coming.

Did Not Plays (DNPs) and Forfeits (FFs)

At the end of the season, if you weren't able to play certain games vs. your opponent you will be given DNPs or FFs depending on the situation. To avoid being penalized for not playing your opponent even though you've been looking for him, here's how to schedule a game:

Alongside the options to log the scores of played games from the “Schedule” hyperlink on your team/coach page are options to officially register your desire to schedule a game you've had difficulty completing. As long as there is at least one week left in the season, you can suggest a particular date and time via drop-down menu, along with a comment field where you can go into more detail (when you're available, working, etc.). The web site will record the request, generate email notifications for your opponent and for the Admins, and post notifications on the web site.

The opponent has until three days are left in the season to respond by generating a similar message for all to see. Hopefully this kick starts the dialog enough to get the league games scheduled and completed by the deadline.

At the end of the season, the Admins simply run a routine that compares the logged requests of un-played games. If neither coach made a request, each team is awarded a DNP and 0 points in the standings. If both coaches made a request but the game still didn't get played, it's also a DNP and 0 points. If one coach made a request but the other did not, it's a 1-0 FF victory. In all cases, Admins can override the results and will be available to review individual cases and make good-faith judgments. BUT, the default would still be on the routine's natural output - a very good case would have to be made to make a change.