NHL'94 Forums

Dumping the puck: How do you do it?

Dumping the puck  

8 members have voted

1. 1. What button do you use to dump the puck?

• The dump button of course!
    • The shoot button
    • The pass button
    • Dumping is for losers

So I was feeling nostalgic today and decided to slap in my NHLPA 93 cartridge. There it was: the blood, the fighting, the organ music at the beginning of the game. But there was something else. Something missing. Then, I figured it out. No dump button. I had Rod Brind'Amour skating towards center ice and he was lined up for the lob attempt. I reached my thumb over to the A button on my Genesis controller, and nothing. And in my lapse, Brindy was promptly decked and left bleeding with yet another nose job. I was so used to being able to just press that one button and lob the puck to the heavens. Now, my only option was to simply shoot a high wrister into the zone and hope it doesn't end up on the goalie's stick.

Which leads me to my question: If and when you dump the puck in 94, what do you use to do so? Do you use the dedicated dump button? Or perhaps you go 93-style and just shoot it with the shot button? Or maybe even line up against the boards and use the pass button to send it around to a winger a la-clockwise and his manly slam-dunk play? Or do you not dump it at all and skate it in every time? I'm curious and would love to know your preference.

I usually use the A button, but it has backfired on me a few times by going into the stands, giving my opponent an offensive-zone faceoff.

GDL season 3:

http://65.36.133.56/nhl94_draft/recap.aspx?gameid=1980

This game almost killed my playoffs hopes. 16 games left in the season, needing to win practically every game left to make the playoffs... Tied 3-3, shorthanded and under pressure with under 10 seconds to go, I tried to send the game to OT by dumping it from my end when I managed to steal the puck. Unfortunately, my guy sent it into the stands, bringing the faceoff back to the the right of my goalie with 5 seconds left. Icestorm somehow pulled off a goal with 1 second left. He even got 2 assists on it!

I lost another game after that, then I went on a 13-1 tear to miss the playoffs the number-of-wins tiebreak!! But then due to DNPs, I got in.. and got beat soundly by kgman (4 games to 1).