NHL'94 Forums

Longest OT game you have ever played?

9 members have voted

1. 1. What is the longest OT game you have played versus another human player?

• 1 OT period
    • 2 OT periods
    • 3 OT periods
    • 4 OT periods
    • 5 or more OT periods

Tonight I believe I played the most epic OT game ever online vs. danlizhot_2010 on the SNES. We were playing as part of a best of 5 series for fun. He was Quebec and I was Edmonton. Our series was back and forth heading into game 4 as the home team far and away had the advantage in each of the games with Quebec taking games 1 and 3 at home while Edmonton took game 2 at home.

Thus, Dan was up in the series 2-1 with game 4 being held in Edmonton. After 3 periods we were deadlocked at a 2-2 tie going into overtime. The 1st OT period begun and neither of us had too big of scoring chances. Mostly a defensive affair and so the period passed tied. We had to start a new exhibition game to continue overtime and we went through another 4 OTs and the scoring chances started opening up in a major way. I started getting a bunch of one-timer chances with Craig Simpson and Petr Klima in the 4th OT but couldn't bury them. Dan was getting a lot of deke opportunities with Sakic, Sundin, and Nolan. His defense in this game was absolutely amazing as well and I just couldn't get anything past him or get any good deke opprtunities to go in either. Needless to say, goalies Hextall and Ranford played exceptionally and would not let anything through (amazing manual goalie moves took place in this game by both teams...)

Finally, the 5th OT began (OT period of the 2nd exhibition game we had started earlier!). The 1st minute went as usual, mostly defensive. Then I turned the puck over at center ice and took Simpson to cover against a high slot one timer. Dan took Sakic, proceeded to drive to the right side of Ranford and then made an incredible drop pass to Nolan for a seemingly impossible one-timer that slipped by Ranford's left side. An incredible finish to a rather incredible game!! The thrill and adrenaline of having a 5 OT game pretty much made me forget that I had just lost the series 3-1!

And so hopefully I haven't bored you with a long drawn story about the epic OT game that Dan and I had, but I would like to ask, what is the longest OT game that you guys have played against another human player?

Edited by Oilers442

In NHL Hockey (NHL'92), I had a 3 overtime period game in the playoffs with Hartford. I beat the Minnesota North Stars in our 2004 playoffs 3 games to 2, in best of 5 in division semifinals. One of the best playoff series ever. However, Hartford was crushed by Boston in the division finals, haha.

Nothing more intense that NHL playoff-overtime hockey, on television or Sega Genesis!